Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Questions

Questions

BARRY ANDERSON

Hi again just after finding out if if others do this or is it just me. When
I take an exam I answer on my gut feeling. However at the end of the exam I
go and review my answers and sometimes change a few. Im not sure if thats a
good thing or a bad thing. I would be intrested in what you guys think.

Thanks

Michael D. Alligood

Well as the old saying goes, "Your first answer is normally the correct
one." I have never reviewed my answers after any of my exams. The only
exception to this is when I have "marked" a question due to its
complexity or ambiguous wording. Other than that, I answer and move on.
Now with that said, why are you utilizing your gut instead of your
head???

--
Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

"BARRY ANDERSON" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi again just after finding out if if others do this or is it just me. When
> I take an exam I answer on my gut feeling. However at the end of the exam I
> go and review my answers and sometimes change a few. Im not sure if thats a
> good thing or a bad thing. I would be intrested in what you guys think.
>
> Thanks

BARRY ANDERSON

Sorry I worded that wrong. The gut feeling I was refering to is the answer I
think is the one that seems to trigger a response when I read it.

Thanks
"Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:u6vo7c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well as the old saying goes, "Your first answer is normally the correct
> one." I have never reviewed my answers after any of my exams. The only
> exception to this is when I have "marked" a question due to its complexity
> or ambiguous wording. Other than that, I answer and move on. Now with that
> said, why are you utilizing your gut instead of your head???
>
> --
> Michael D. Alligood
> MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> CIW Certified Instructor
>

> "BARRY ANDERSON" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Hi again just after finding out if if others do this or is it just me.
>> When
>> I take an exam I answer on my gut feeling. However at the end of the exam
>> go and review my answers and sometimes change a few. Im not sure if thats
>> good thing or a bad thing. I would be intrested in what you guys think.
>>
>> Thanks

Michael D. Alligood

Just having fun with you Barry! Your gut feeling is normally correct.
However, the key is to make sure you absolutely understand what the
question is. Many people while taking these exams get tired easily, and
start to "skim" the questions looking for keywords. After locating what
they think Microsoft is trying to ask them, they proceed to answer the
question incorrectly using that "gut feeling". There are also times when
you have studied your butt off taking practice exams, and you think you
run across a practice exam question on the actual exam. Be very cautions
of this. You may choose the answer that was correct on the practice
exam, but the question is slightly different. In this situation, your
"gut feeling" may be wrong. Hope that helped. And now with talking about
"gut feelings", I am hungry. Thanks!

--
Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
CIW Certified Instructor

"BARRY ANDERSON" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Sorry I worded that wrong. The gut feeling I was refering to is the answer I
> think is the one that seems to trigger a response when I read it.
>
> Thanks
> "Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:u6vo7c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Well as the old saying goes, "Your first answer is normally the correct
> > one." I have never reviewed my answers after any of my exams. The only
> > exception to this is when I have "marked" a question due to its complexity
> > or ambiguous wording. Other than that, I answer and move on. Now with that
> > said, why are you utilizing your gut instead of your head???
> >
> > --
> > Michael D. Alligood
> > MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> > Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> > CIW Certified Instructor
> >

> > "BARRY ANDERSON" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed):
> >
> >> Hi again just after finding out if if others do this or is it just me.
> >> When
> >> I take an exam I answer on my gut feeling. However at the end of the exam
> >> go and review my answers and sometimes change a few. Im not sure if thats
> >> good thing or a bad thing. I would be intrested in what you guys think.
> >>
> >> Thanks

Keith Chilton

Michael

You sure have a lot of credentials behind your name. Which one was the
hardest to obtain? Is Network+ or A+ harder? Also how does the MCDST compare
to the CIW certification in terms of difficulty to obtain?

Keith

"Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just having fun with you Barry! Your gut feeling is normally correct.
> However, the key is to make sure you absolutely understand what the
> question is. Many people while taking these exams get tired easily, and
> start to "skim" the questions looking for keywords. After locating what
> they think Microsoft is trying to ask them, they proceed to answer the
> question incorrectly using that "gut feeling". There are also times when
> you have studied your butt off taking practice exams, and you think you
> run across a practice exam question on the actual exam. Be very cautions
> of this. You may choose the answer that was correct on the practice exam,
> but the question is slightly different. In this situation, your "gut
> feeling" may be wrong. Hope that helped. And now with talking about "gut
> feelings", I am hungry. Thanks!
>
> --
> Michael D. Alligood
> MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> CIW Certified Instructor
>

> "BARRY ANDERSON" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Sorry I worded that wrong. The gut feeling I was refering to is the
>> answer I
>> think is the one that seems to trigger a response when I read it.
>>
>> Thanks
>> "Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:u6vo7c$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Well as the old saying goes, "Your first answer is normally the correct
>> > one." I have never reviewed my answers after any of my exams. The only
>> > exception to this is when I have "marked" a question due to its
>> > complexity
>> > or ambiguous wording. Other than that, I answer and move on. Now with
>> > that
>> > said, why are you utilizing your gut instead of your head???
>> >
>> > --
>> > Michael D. Alligood
>> > MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
>> > Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
>> > CIW Certified Instructor
>> >

>> > "BARRY ANDERSON" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed):

Michael D. Alligood

That's a tough question to answer. To be honest, the easiest exams I
took were the 70-271 and 70-272. The only test I remember that gave me
any trouble at all was the 70-215, Windows Server 2000 exam. But that
was my fault; I just rushed my normal studying per my company's request
to get us certified. I vowed never to rush any studying again. The CIW
program is broad in nature; meaning you have different paths to follow
once you get your feet wet. Cisco is the same way; which I am also a
retired CCNA. I chose not to renew my CCNA because I have not touched a
Cisco router since taking the exam. My current consulting position just
does not pertain to such technology, but I digress. You question was
which one was the hardest to obtain? For me, it was the MCSA.

--
Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

"Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Michael
>
> You sure have a lot of credentials behind your name. Which one was the
> hardest to obtain? Is Network+ or A+ harder? Also how does the MCDST compare
> to the CIW certification in terms of difficulty to obtain?
>
> Keith
>
> "Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Just having fun with you Barry! Your gut feeling is normally correct.
> > However, the key is to make sure you absolutely understand what the
> > question is. Many people while taking these exams get tired easily, and
> > start to "skim" the questions looking for keywords. After locating what
> > they think Microsoft is trying to ask them, they proceed to answer the
> > question incorrectly using that "gut feeling". There are also times when
> > you have studied your butt off taking practice exams, and you think you
> > run across a practice exam question on the actual exam. Be very cautions
> > of this. You may choose the answer that was correct on the practice exam,
> > but the question is slightly different. In this situation, your "gut
> > feeling" may be wrong. Hope that helped. And now with talking about "gut
> > feelings", I am hungry. Thanks!
> >
> > --
> > Michael D. Alligood
> > MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> > Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> > CIW Certified Instructor
> >

> > "BARRY ANDERSON" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed):
> >
> >> Sorry I worded that wrong. The gut feeling I was refering to is the
> >> answer I
> >> think is the one that seems to trigger a response when I read it.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> "Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:u6vo7c$(E-Mail Removed)...

Keith Chilton

That's one i'd like to go after. Have you considered MCSE since you have the
MCSA out of the way already? We have a couple Win 2k servers at work and one
with AD on it. I think it would be good for me to try get a certification in
that area. If nothing else but to just learn more about how that Server
works together as a whole.

"Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> That's a tough question to answer. To be honest, the easiest exams I took
> were the 70-271 and 70-272. The only test I remember that gave me any
> trouble at all was the 70-215, Windows Server 2000 exam. But that was my
> fault; I just rushed my normal studying per my company's request to get us
> certified. I vowed never to rush any studying again. The CIW program is
> broad in nature; meaning you have different paths to follow once you get
> your feet wet. Cisco is the same way; which I am also a retired CCNA. I
> chose not to renew my CCNA because I have not touched a Cisco router since
> taking the exam. My current consulting position just does not pertain to
> such technology, but I digress. You question was which one was the hardest
> to obtain? For me, it was the MCSA.
>
> --
> Michael D. Alligood
> MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> CIW Certified Instructor
>

> "Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Michael
>>
>> You sure have a lot of credentials behind your name. Which one was the
>> hardest to obtain? Is Network+ or A+ harder? Also how does the MCDST
>> compare
>> to the CIW certification in terms of difficulty to obtain?
>>
>> Keith
>>
>> "Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Just having fun with you Barry! Your gut feeling is normally correct.
>> > However, the key is to make sure you absolutely understand what the
>> > question is. Many people while taking these exams get tired easily, and
>> > start to "skim" the questions looking for keywords. After locating what
>> > they think Microsoft is trying to ask them, they proceed to answer the
>> > question incorrectly using that "gut feeling". There are also times
>> > when
>> > you have studied your butt off taking practice exams, and you think you
>> > run across a practice exam question on the actual exam. Be very
>> > cautions
>> > of this. You may choose the answer that was correct on the practice
>> > exam,
>> > but the question is slightly different. In this situation, your "gut
>> > feeling" may be wrong. Hope that helped. And now with talking about
>> > "gut
>> > feelings", I am hungry. Thanks!
>> >
>> > --
>> > Michael D. Alligood
>> > MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
>> > Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
>> > CIW Certified Instructor
>> >

>> > "BARRY ANDERSON" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed):

Michael D. Alligood

I have and am still considering the MCSE certification. However, it is
just not a priority right now with me.

--
Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
CIW Certified Instructor

"Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> That's one i'd like to go after. Have you considered MCSE since you have the
> MCSA out of the way already? We have a couple Win 2k servers at work and one
> with AD on it. I think it would be good for me to try get a certification in
> that area. If nothing else but to just learn more about how that Server
> works together as a whole.
>
> "Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > That's a tough question to answer. To be honest, the easiest exams I took
> > were the 70-271 and 70-272. The only test I remember that gave me any
> > trouble at all was the 70-215, Windows Server 2000 exam. But that was my
> > fault; I just rushed my normal studying per my company's request to get us
> > certified. I vowed never to rush any studying again. The CIW program is
> > broad in nature; meaning you have different paths to follow once you get
> > your feet wet. Cisco is the same way; which I am also a retired CCNA. I
> > chose not to renew my CCNA because I have not touched a Cisco router since
> > taking the exam. My current consulting position just does not pertain to
> > such technology, but I digress. You question was which one was the hardest
> > to obtain? For me, it was the MCSA.
> >
> > --
> > Michael D. Alligood
> > MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> > Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> > CIW Certified Instructor
> >

> > "Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed):
> >
> >> Michael
> >>
> >> You sure have a lot of credentials behind your name. Which one was the
> >> hardest to obtain? Is Network+ or A+ harder? Also how does the MCDST
> >> compare
> >> to the CIW certification in terms of difficulty to obtain?
> >>
> >> Keith
> >>
> >> "Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Keith Chilton

Have you considered the MOS? I know I know, Office probably will make you
shutter when thinking about becoming certified in it. haha I still don't
know if I want that torture or not. I think I definitely would like to try
to go for the MCSA. It seems to be a very worthwhile certification to strive
for. I'm not so sure the Vista cert would do that much more for me. I don't
see companies go all out to Vista as soon as it's released. Heck it'll
probably take at minimum 5 years before you see an entire company on the
Vista platform. Even then that seems early. It's a lot of money to upgrade
computer systems. Plus time. Who wants to change what works for them now? I
can forsee Microsoft though advertising their product so that it only works
for some new innovation that will greatly enhance the way business works.
What will that "innovation" be? Office 2007? Surely that will work with XP
Pro.

By the way Michael, where are you from? I live in Indiana

"Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have and am still considering the MCSE certification. However, it is just
>not a priority right now with me.
>
> --
> Michael D. Alligood
> MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> CIW Certified Instructor
>

> "Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> That's one i'd like to go after. Have you considered MCSE since you have
>> the
>> MCSA out of the way already? We have a couple Win 2k servers at work and
>> one
>> with AD on it. I think it would be good for me to try get a certification
>> in
>> that area. If nothing else but to just learn more about how that Server
>> works together as a whole.
>>
>> "Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > That's a tough question to answer. To be honest, the easiest exams I
>> > took
>> > were the 70-271 and 70-272. The only test I remember that gave me any
>> > trouble at all was the 70-215, Windows Server 2000 exam. But that was
>> > my
>> > fault; I just rushed my normal studying per my company's request to get
>> > us
>> > certified. I vowed never to rush any studying again. The CIW program is
>> > broad in nature; meaning you have different paths to follow once you
>> > get
>> > your feet wet. Cisco is the same way; which I am also a retired CCNA. I
>> > chose not to renew my CCNA because I have not touched a Cisco router
>> > since
>> > taking the exam. My current consulting position just does not pertain
>> > such technology, but I digress. You question was which one was the
>> > hardest
>> > to obtain? For me, it was the MCSA.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Michael D. Alligood
>> > MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
>> > Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
>> > CIW Certified Instructor
>> >

>> > "Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> > message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed):

Michael D. Alligood

I live in Jacksonville, Florida. As far as considering being certified
at a MOS, I am 2 steps ahead of you. I have been studying for the Master
MOS status for a bit now. It is a great designation to have. A majority
of end users utilize some module of Microsoft Office; weather it is
Word, Excel, or Outlook. Being proficient in this particular field is
valuable for me. Having my clients using up-to-date software, and
training them to utilize the product efficiently and effectively to save
time is invaluable. Remember, people want to work smarter not harder. Do
you realize that we do not even come close to using Microsoft products
to their full potential? Microsoft has all but made Office 2007 work by
itself! I have been using Microsoft Office since its conception, and I
have to tell you that even the beta version of Office 2007 works
brilliantly. Microsoft Word 2007 itself is worth the entire suite.

I have a very clients that are old school. They still run Microsoft
Office 2000 and they have a system. And that's great, it works for them.
But when I bring in my laptop and showed them the beta version of
Microsoft Office 2007, they all but paid me to install it on their
systems! Being a certified MOS to me means being able to help my clients
perform their day-to-day tasks easier. What person would not want that?
My clients do not forget that. In return, I get great referrals and
happy clients.