Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Sybex 2006 MCDST Study Guide?

Sybex 2006 MCDST Study Guide?

Don Diego

I just ordered this from Barnes & Noble. Even though I'm MCSE, my company
wants me to be MCDST as well. I've started reviewing the 2004 counterpart,
but stopped when I saw sample questions that were wrong /out-of-date. It
does appear to be a good study guide though. Has anyone had any experience
working with the Sybex new edtion and passing? I'm sure I can pass with all
my hands-on and the 2004 guide, by why risk it?

Thanks.

Don Diego
MCSE, MCP, A+

Frank Shannon

I have that book and have been using it to study up for my MCDST. I've just
recently received MCP by passing the 70-271. I noticed that there were some
questions on the test that did not seem to be covered in the Sybex book.
Rather nitty-gritty stuff, but still not included in the book.

I'm still reading through it though for the 70-272. I feel it is at least a
good stepping stone to give you an idea of what to expect on the test. If
you've already got plenty of experience in the field, the Sybex book would
probably be all you'd need.

I'm hoping to try for the 70-272 by January, if that late.

Don Diego

I thought that might be the case. I'll let my experience get me over the
rough spots

Don

Michael D. Alligood

Sybex books were all I used for a long time. Many years ago, the
Microsoft Press books were hideous; riddled with grammatical and
technical errors. The authors were dull and the material basically
sucked. Then I started noticing the same with Sybex books. In one Sybex
book, I reported 22 technical errors to the publisher! Some of these
errors were very, very basic. One good thing is that Sybex (along with a
majority of other publishers) have an errata which can be downloaded
from their website. But who wants to do that?!? And plus those are only
the error that they have found! So I started shopping around Technical
and Study material. Ironically, my search brought me back to Microsoft
Press. They have really changed things up. Knowledgeable authors, well
explained content, and relatively error free. Please, I said relatively.
Not every book is perfect. However, I am a Microsoft Press Fanboy again.
Hope that helps some.

--
Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

"Don Diego" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsS5ah.57679$(E-Mail Removed):

> I thought that might be the case. I'll let my experience get me over the
> rough spots
>
> Don

DD

I have to agree with Michael. I read at least most of all 3 Sybex, Exam Cram,
and MS Press and I think MS Press is the best of the three.

"Michael D. Alligood" wrote:

> Sybex books were all I used for a long time. Many years ago, the
> Microsoft Press books were hideous; riddled with grammatical and
> technical errors. The authors were dull and the material basically
> sucked. Then I started noticing the same with Sybex books. In one Sybex
> book, I reported 22 technical errors to the publisher! Some of these
> errors were very, very basic. One good thing is that Sybex (along with a
> majority of other publishers) have an errata which can be downloaded
> from their website. But who wants to do that?!? And plus those are only
> the error that they have found! So I started shopping around Technical
> and Study material. Ironically, my search brought me back to Microsoft
> Press. They have really changed things up. Knowledgeable authors, well
> explained content, and relatively error free. Please, I said relatively.
> Not every book is perfect. However, I am a Microsoft Press Fanboy again.
> Hope that helps some.
>
> --
> Michael D. Alligood
> MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> CIW Certified Instructor
>

> "Don Diego" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsS5ah.57679$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I thought that might be the case. I'll let my experience get me over the
> > rough spots
> >
> > Don

Sybex Announces The Launch of Sybex Test Success JKellum A+ Certification 0 09-04-2007 11:00 PM
Sybex, CBT Nuggets, and Study Notes For Sale SY0-101 ButtercupsMom Microsoft Certification 0 05-01-2005 01:05 PM
Sybex MCDST Study Guide Howard MCDST 4 03-22-2005 11:26 AM
REQ: Please post Sybex - MCSA MCSE - 70-290 291 292 293 294 - Windows Server 2003 Environment Management And Maintenance Study Guide Patrick MCSE 1 11-06-2003 08:39 PM
270 Study Books: Sybex + Exam Cram Vs MS Press ISBN 0735614296 and Readiness Review Book? Max MCSE 1 09-22-2003 01:40 PM

Advertisments