Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > 20-271 and 20-272 difference?

20-271 and 20-272 difference?

Jon Jarman

Hi,
I am new to this and was wondering what the difference is between 20-271 and
20-272.

I am planning on buying the 20-271 kit from amazon, but would it be
worthwhile getting 20-272 as well?

and is it going to be useful pursuing this qualification if vista is going
to be out soon?

many thanks
jonathan

Marco Hahnen

Companies will not upgrade all their XP machines to Vista when it comes out.
I know many companies who are still using win 2000 and nt4 today. so i think
XP will be in business for a few more years.

Marco

"Jon Jarman" wrote:

> Hi,
> I am new to this and was wondering what the difference is between 20-271 and
> 20-272.
>
> I am planning on buying the 20-271 kit from amazon, but would it be
> worthwhile getting 20-272 as well?
>
> and is it going to be useful pursuing this qualification if vista is going
> to be out soon?
>
> many thanks
> jonathan

BD [MCNGP]

"Jon Jarman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I am new to this and was wondering what the difference is between 20-271
> and
> 20-272.

The (MAIN) Difference:
70-271
Supporting Users and Troubleshooting a Microsoft Windows XP Operating System

70-272
Supporting Users and Troubleshooting Desktop Applications on a Microsoft
Windows XP Operating System

271 is the Operating System, and 272 are the Desktop Applications.

> I am planning on buying the 20-271 kit from amazon, but would it be
> worthwhile getting 20-272 as well?

Yes, if you are going to get one, you'll need the other. If you're not going
to take both exams, then there really is no need for either.

> and is it going to be useful pursuing this qualification if vista is going
> to be out soon?

MCDST is for WindowsXP ONLY. It was born with XP and it will die with XP.

Look at it this way. WindowsNT 4 came out in what, 1995ish, THAT
certification is still good if you know of a company that is still using
WindowsNT 4 in their network.

MCDST will be good to have as long as there are WindowsXP workstations out
there. It really all depends on how many people stick to the Support Cycle
that M$ prescribes.

HTH

--
BD