Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > MCDST

MCDST

IanC

Is it even worth it for me to go after this Certification, or should I wait
until the Vista MCDST is available?

Kenny K

Yes it will be worthwhile because corporations are not going to roll out
Vista as soon as it comes out. Most will take time to test its compability
as well as a slew of other things before deciding whether its ROI and/or TCO
is worth it to roll such a project. Your still going to see XP for quite
some time so you might as well go ahead and get it. If you decide to wait
for the Vista test, pass it, and then get job interviews, its highly unlikely
that they've already rolled out Vista and they are going to want someone that
can support XP not Vista.

IanC

That's exactly what I was thinking I just needed to hear someone else say the
same thing.

Thanks Kenny K

"Kenny K" wrote:

> Yes it will be worthwhile because corporations are not going to roll out
> Vista as soon as it comes out. Most will take time to test its compability
> as well as a slew of other things before deciding whether its ROI and/or TCO
> is worth it to roll such a project. Your still going to see XP for quite
> some time so you might as well go ahead and get it. If you decide to wait
> for the Vista test, pass it, and then get job interviews, its highly unlikely
> that they've already rolled out Vista and they are going to want someone that
> can support XP not Vista.

Scuba_Dave

I think if you are an experienced XP person, go for it
You will need time on Vista to become familiar with the software
Better alos to take the test now before changes of Vista may "confuse" issues

Our company has just standardized on XP this year
We still have 3 WIN95 PC's, 7 NT4 & maybe 30 WIN98 due to old software
requirements. Plus just under 600 WIN2k's.
Out of a total of close to 4,000 pc's
The stats were MUCH different at the beginning of this year

Our company wants us to be MCDST certified. It will be years before the
majority of our desktops are upgraded (replaced) for Vista

I'm hoping to install Vista on a 2nd home PC for training/testing once it's
been out for a little while

"IanC" wrote:

> Is it even worth it for me to go after this Certification, or should I wait
> until the Vista MCDST is available?

"IanC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is it even worth it for me to go after this Certification, or should I

wait
> until the Vista MCDST is available?

One thing I didn't see mentioned was that there will not be an MCDST for
Vista. MCDST was born with XP and it will retire with XP.

--
BD
MCNGP #51

Scuba_Dave

That's interesting, I was not aware of that
I can't see Microsoft "giving up" a money making certification
Isn't it likely they will just create a new "Vista" Cert?

-Dave

"BD[MCNGP]" wrote:

> One thing I didn't see mentioned was that there will not be an MCDST for
> Vista. MCDST was born with XP and it will retire with XP.
>
> --
> BD
> MCNGP #51
> -- You think you know IT?!
> -- Check out the new forums at: http://www.CertGuard.com/forums/

Scuba_Dave

Pulled this from the FAQ from MS about the Cert:

Q. Will an MCDST certification be developed for Microsoft Windows NT 4.0?

A. No, the MCDST certification is being supported for current platforms
(Windows 2000 and Windows XP) and future platforms only.

"Scuba_Dave" wrote:

> That's interesting, I was not aware of that
> I can't see Microsoft "giving up" a money making certification
> Isn't it likely they will just create a new "Vista" Cert?
>
> -Dave
>
> "BD[MCNGP]" wrote:
>
> > One thing I didn't see mentioned was that there will not be an MCDST for
> > Vista. MCDST was born with XP and it will retire with XP.
> >
> > --
> > BD
> > MCNGP #51
> > -- You think you know IT?!
> > -- Check out the new forums at: http://www.CertGuard.com/forums/

Interesting, thank you.

#1, There was no MCDST for Win2K, I don't know who wrote that or why that
was added in, but it's false (as per my sources)...now, the MCDST knowledge
can be used, to some extent, on Win2K, but only because the XP RTM was
really Win2K SP5 than it was it's own operating system.

Also, what I do get from that statement doesn't specifically state that
there will be a new MCDST for Vista, but the XP cert will also be good for
newer versions....in other words, they may have an upgrade, but not a new
cert. And actually, if I remember correctly, the MCTS series of exams will
be more geared toward Vista.

I'll see if I can find out more about it. If I do, I'll probably just post
it in the CertGuard forums.

--
BD
MCNGP #51
-- You think you know IT?!
-- Check out the new forums at: http://www.CertGuard.com/forums/

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

MCDST JC Microsoft Certification 2 02-04-2004 09:52 AM
MCDST beta test (71-272) Waleed A. Nasser Mohamed Hussein Microsoft Certification 2 11-09-2003 03:48 PM
MCDST 71-272 Mohamed Fekry Abdel Ghaffar Microsoft Certification 1 11-09-2003 03:48 PM
MCDST Waleed A. Nasser Mohamed Hussein Microsoft Certification 5 11-07-2003 03:26 PM

Advertisments