Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Studying help

Studying help

Peter Merrifield

I am a mature student studying for MCDST by correspondence. trouble is I am
dyslexic and having trouble with making notes.
The correspondence school sent interactive DVD and I recently bought a book
on subject. to supliment course. Is there any kind soul out there with any
advice please on taking notes.
Thanks in anticipation

louscannon

Peter Merrifield wrote:
> I am a mature student studying for MCDST by correspondence. trouble is I am
> dyslexic and having trouble with making notes.
> The correspondence school sent interactive DVD and I recently bought a book
> on subject. to supliment course. Is there any kind soul out there with any
> advice please on taking notes.
> Thanks in anticipation

I found the best way to tackle the exam, is to break it down into
smaller bite sized chunks. first you need a guide, I found the best
one was MCDST study guide by Bill ferguson, by Sybex ( ISBN
0-7821-4352-0) Then read through this book TWICE. then get a
highlighter, and mark down, all those importaint notes in the book, Get
a notebook, and transfer all the highlighted notes in the book. This is
your cram guide. Practise as much as possible and use the exercises in
the book. If you know someone who has office 2003, then pop around
his/her place, and ask if you could pratice with word etc. It's not
really importaint to KNOW each of the applications, rather what's in
each applications, such as addding/removing office components,
repairing office etc.
If you haven't done either 70-271 70-272 then just concentrate on each
one, I would personally go for 70-271 first, pass that, then use your
experience to face the other exam. Remember, that in parts, the 70-272
exam, crosses back over to the 70-271 exam, i.e you need to brush up on
the 70-271 in parts!
Oh, and try not to study too hard! I found that I was overstudying at
times, and i was getting too stressed out at times, I found that if I
studied for 2-3hrs per day, then that was enough..
I failed my 70-272 with a misrable score, basically i found there was
at the time a lot of questions on security, the one subject i found the
most boring, so as a result failed. But at least i had a fail sheet,
which showed where i was weak at. This gave me a focus, and made me
more detirmined mext time. If you get a chance with a second shot -
take advantage with that, then if you fail first time around, you have
a report to highlight where you need improvement. Then as long as you
know you have a second shot - the pressure is off you!
Best of luck, and enjoy!
Graham A+, MCP, MCDST CST