Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > MCDST or MCSA

MCDST or MCSA

James Parker

I've got some of a back ground in IT, I do network admin at a local leisure
centre (SBS 2003 Strd) [been doing for about 1.5 years] and am currently
doing work experience with a national organisation [just started but doing
for at least a year], which is on a much greater scale. I'm ultimatly looking
to get my MCSE, but I'm not sure wither I should start at the MCSA or the
MCDST and work up to it. I'd really apreciate any advice anyone could give me.

Cheers

James

Mitchell Buchanan MOS MASTER

Well if you look all of the tests on the mcse are from the mcsa and the mcsa
gives you credit for the mcdst so why not start there and work your way up.

"James Parker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've got some of a back ground in IT, I do network admin at a local
> leisure
> centre (SBS 2003 Strd) [been doing for about 1.5 years] and am currently
> doing work experience with a national organisation [just started but doing
> for at least a year], which is on a much greater scale. I'm ultimatly
> looking
> to get my MCSE, but I'm not sure wither I should start at the MCSA or the
> MCDST and work up to it. I'd really apreciate any advice anyone could give
> me.
>
> Cheers
>
> James

Dennis

Actually, if you look at the http://www.microsoft.com/learning MCSA is not an
elective for MCDST, it is the opposite. The MCDST can be used as an elective
for MCSA, but you can not use MCDST can not be used as an elective for MCSE.

Therefore, if you do MCDST you take 2 exams (271 & 272). You will then need
to take 270, 290, 291 plus use the MCDST as your elective to become MCSA.

For MCSE you need, 270, 290, 291, 293, 294, either 297 or 298, plus 1 of the
following 089, 227, 228, 229, 232, 281, 282, 284, 285,297, 298, 299, 301,
350, or 431.

This would give you a total of 7 exams.

Using myself as a reference, this was my route:

MCDST - I was doing mostly desktop support at the time.
MCSA - using MCDST as my elective
MCSE security - 270, 290, 291, 293, 294, 298, 350, security +
--
Cheers,

Dennis

"James Parker" wrote:

> I've got some of a back ground in IT, I do network admin at a local leisure
> centre (SBS 2003 Strd) [been doing for about 1.5 years] and am currently
> doing work experience with a national organisation [just started but doing
> for at least a year], which is on a much greater scale. I'm ultimatly looking
> to get my MCSE, but I'm not sure wither I should start at the MCSA or the
> MCDST and work up to it. I'd really apreciate any advice anyone could give me.
>
> Cheers
>
> James

Villain

I'm also taking the MCDST -> MCSA -> MCSE route. It seems to be one
of the most logical paths that is available, if you want to work your
way through the ranks.

I have yet to take the second part of my MCDST, but once that's done I
will start working on the remaining 3 tests for MCSA, which gets me
further up the ladder.

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 15:05:01 -0700, Dennis
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Actually, if you look at the http://www.microsoft.com/learning MCSA is not an
>elective for MCDST, it is the opposite. The MCDST can be used as an elective
>for MCSA, but you can not use MCDST can not be used as an elective for MCSE.
>
>Therefore, if you do MCDST you take 2 exams (271 & 272). You will then need
>to take 270, 290, 291 plus use the MCDST as your elective to become MCSA.
>
>For MCSE you need, 270, 290, 291, 293, 294, either 297 or 298, plus 1 of the
>following 089, 227, 228, 229, 232, 281, 282, 284, 285,297, 298, 299, 301,
>350, or 431.
>
>This would give you a total of 7 exams.
>
>Using myself as a reference, this was my route:
>
>MCDST - I was doing mostly desktop support at the time.
>MCSA - using MCDST as my elective
>MCSE security - 270, 290, 291, 293, 294, 298, 350, security +

Implacable

after reading what the other guys said about the route to take, I actually
have one question to ask.....How are you guys getting this training; is it in
a private institution, bootcamp, community college, self study?
I just finish about 8 months at UEI and got my A+ certification, and i am
studying for the 70-272 exam for MCDST and 70-210 for MCP. after that i am
looking to go for MCSE and Cisco. One option is bootcamp for MCSE and
Security + (around $9,000) in 14 days or MCSE based on Security (around
$4,500) in 6 months, 8 hours a week. I know that community colleges have MCSE
but don't know about the price and the lenght. I have no background
experience except what I learn at UEI. any suggestions?
--
A+ Certified Proffesional

"James Parker" wrote:

> I've got some of a back ground in IT, I do network admin at a local leisure
> centre (SBS 2003 Strd) [been doing for about 1.5 years] and am currently
> doing work experience with a national organisation [just started but doing
> for at least a year], which is on a much greater scale. I'm ultimatly looking
> to get my MCSE, but I'm not sure wither I should start at the MCSA or the
> MCDST and work up to it. I'd really apreciate any advice anyone could give me.
>
> Cheers
>
> James

Villain

Most of my learning comes straight from working in the field. Right
now, my main job is to support Windows XP at our offices as well as
for remote users.

Other than that, for me it's a lot of self study. I don't have the
money to take classes or boot camps (nor would I want to do the
latter), so I just use a laptop that I have and break it as much as
possible, then follow the tutorials to fix it.

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 13:47:02 -0700, Implacable
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>after reading what the other guys said about the route to take, I actually
>have one question to ask.....How are you guys getting this training; is it in
>a private institution, bootcamp, community college, self study?
>I just finish about 8 months at UEI and got my A+ certification, and i am
>studying for the 70-272 exam for MCDST and 70-210 for MCP. after that i am
>looking to go for MCSE and Cisco. One option is bootcamp for MCSE and
>Security + (around $9,000) in 14 days or MCSE based on Security (around
>$4,500) in 6 months, 8 hours a week. I know that community colleges have MCSE
>but don't know about the price and the lenght. I have no background
>experience except what I learn at UEI. any suggestions?

Implacable

wow, where do you work at?
are you in california?
--
A+ Certified Proffesional

"Villain" wrote:

> Most of my learning comes straight from working in the field. Right
> now, my main job is to support Windows XP at our offices as well as
> for remote users.
>
> Other than that, for me it's a lot of self study. I don't have the
> money to take classes or boot camps (nor would I want to do the
> latter), so I just use a laptop that I have and break it as much as
> possible, then follow the tutorials to fix it.
>

> On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 13:47:02 -0700, Implacable
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >after reading what the other guys said about the route to take, I actually
> >have one question to ask.....How are you guys getting this training; is it in
> >a private institution, bootcamp, community college, self study?
> >I just finish about 8 months at UEI and got my A+ certification, and i am
> >studying for the 70-272 exam for MCDST and 70-210 for MCP. after that i am
> >looking to go for MCSE and Cisco. One option is bootcamp for MCSE and
> >Security + (around $9,000) in 14 days or MCSE based on Security (around
> >$4,500) in 6 months, 8 hours a week. I know that community colleges have MCSE
> >but don't know about the price and the lenght. I have no background
> >experience except what I learn at UEI. any suggestions?

Steve W.

I studied to get the A+ just from a few books and from my experience doing
IT in the past. (2 weeks study)
I studied to get the network+ from books and tried to get as much experience
as I could. (3 weeks of dedicated study)
I am now studying for the MCDST and I think it should be pretty easy.
From there I'll be working on the MCSA self study again
MCSE finally..

The great thing about IT is that if you are motivated, you can get decent
jobs without spending a ton of cash and time in college taking unrelated
classes or pouring over topics with which you are already intimately
familiar. Most employers for IT people seem to look more at specific certs
than degrees. (however, if you are never satisfied like myself.. youll do
both)

"Implacable" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> wow, where do you work at?
> are you in california?
> --
> A+ Certified Proffesional
>

> "Villain" wrote:
>
>> Most of my learning comes straight from working in the field. Right
>> now, my main job is to support Windows XP at our offices as well as
>> for remote users.
>>
>> Other than that, for me it's a lot of self study. I don't have the
>> money to take classes or boot camps (nor would I want to do the
>> latter), so I just use a laptop that I have and break it as much as
>> possible, then follow the tutorials to fix it.
>>

>> On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 13:47:02 -0700, Implacable
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >after reading what the other guys said about the route to take, I
>> >actually
>> >have one question to ask.....How are you guys getting this training; is
>> >it in
>> >a private institution, bootcamp, community college, self study?
>> >I just finish about 8 months at UEI and got my A+ certification, and i
>> >am
>> >studying for the 70-272 exam for MCDST and 70-210 for MCP. after that i
>> >am
>> >looking to go for MCSE and Cisco. One option is bootcamp for MCSE and
>> >Security + (around $9,000) in 14 days or MCSE based on Security (around
>> >$4,500) in 6 months, 8 hours a week. I know that community colleges have
>> >MCSE
>> >but don't know about the price and the lenght. I have no background
>> >experience except what I learn at UEI. any suggestions?

MCDST, MCSA, MCSE Cert Track Questions =?Utf-8?B?UnVzc2VsbA==?= Microsoft Certification 3 03-22-2006 01:17 AM
MCSE or MCSA or MCDST Abe MCSE 17 10-29-2004 11:43 PM
MCSA and MCDST Dave MCDST 3 02-01-2004 09:19 PM
MCDST count twords MCSA 2000? Andre MCDST 7 01-15-2004 11:24 PM

Advertisments