Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Microsoft Cert. Goals

Microsoft Cert. Goals

Niche

My plan is to tackle the MCSA, then the MCSE. Being that I have not been to
school in many years I felt it might be smarter for me to take on the MCDST
first. The MCDSt seems to be the "beginners" course & test. What do you guys
think? Is it really worth it to go to a school like Mindworks and pay $1500
per course?? Will reading the MCDST Exam 70-271 Training kit be enough?

How many questions are on the 70-271? How long does the test normally last
(average)?

stmay

I guess it really depends on your work experience. I've been doing onsite
desktop support on a daily basis for about 6 years. I just took the 271 test
a month ago. I used the CBT Nuggets training videos and the Transcenders
practice tests. I'll admit, I did learn some things about XP that I did not
know, but for the most part it was a good refresher before taking the test.
I studied for a couple of weeks and passed the test with a 916. It wasn't
too bad, but I still did find a few sections a bit tricky. I think you get
about 2 hours or so for the test, but I think I was only there for a little
under an hour. Probably would have been faster if the computer I was using
didn't take 45 seconds between questions.

Syd

"Niche" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> My plan is to tackle the MCSA, then the MCSE. Being that I have not been
> school in many years I felt it might be smarter for me to take on the
> MCDST
> first. The MCDSt seems to be the "beginners" course & test.

Yes, it is

>What do you guys
> think? Is it really worth it to go to a school like Mindworks and pay
> $1500
> per course?? Will reading the MCDST Exam 70-271 Training kit be enough?

No, the training kit it's not enough, it might be if you follow all the
suggestions for "further reading" in the book (which are many)
I think that any person of average QI, two month studying and good will can
do it without problems on his own and saving money. There are a lot of
resources (thanks god) on the net. Forums, tutorials, etc.

The courses are too quick, concentrated, too fast paced and quite costly. If
you really want to do it, if you are conscientious, do it yourself, you'll
be fine.

> How many questions are on the 70-271? How long does the test normally last
> (average)?

60-70 questions
2,30 hours, it's more than enough, Microsoft has been generous with this
one, unlike the MOS which was a rush in panic

EXAM 70-272

Yes it's enough just to read the book
70-271 - 63 question
70-272 - 50 question