Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > 272 more difficult?

272 more difficult?

Syd

I read few messages here and even on a forum stating that 272 is more
diffucult than 271

It sounds very strange to me. I needed a lot of study and efforts to put
myself in condition to face 271, it was not easy at all.

Now I am looking at the 'selftest' for 272 and it seems to me that I could
pass it without even opening the book.

I don't know... I don't understand.

Am I missing something??

Darth Windows

To be honest I was in the same position as you when I was doing the MCDST
but I had contradicting messages - some saying it was easier, some saying
harder. When I eventually sat the 272 I couldn't really tell much of a
difference in difficulty - if I was to stick my neck out though I'd say,
possibly, it was a shade easier. There is a lot of crossover knowledge used
from the 271 but with the addition of Office and IE (although not as much as
I expected!). Those that claim it is harder probably aren't up to speed on
Office?

The fact that Sybex can combine the 271 and 272 into one volume probably
speaks volumes for these two test ;o)

--
Certifications:
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MOS Master, Security+, Network+, A+

stmay

I've been wondering the same thing. I took 271 about a month ago. I've been
studying for 272 for several weeks now with CBT Nuggets and Transcender.
Problem is that I've memorized all of the Transcender questions now. The
only thing I'm a little worried about is digital signatures for emails and
remembering all the different settings for cookie and active x levels.

I've got 272 scheduled for 11:30am on Friday. Hope I do well. I guess I
don't feel quite as stressed since I get the free second shot.

Steve

Syd

Darth Windows wrote:

> Those that claim
> it is harder probably aren't up to speed on Office?

Is there possible that there is people which know ntfs permissions and all
that stuff better than applications like MS Office?
well....it is. (even if it sound strange to me)

> The fact that Sybex can combine the 271 and 272 into one volume
> probably speaks volumes for these two test ;o)

Well..yes, anyway, I suppose I will resist the temptation to book my 272
immediately and I'll go through the book instead.
I don't have the luxury of a second free test, unfortunately

Syd

stmay wrote:
> I've got 272 scheduled for 11:30am on Friday. Hope I do well. I
> guess I don't feel quite as stressed since I get the free second
> shot.

No problem at all then, good on you

Darth Windows

> Is there possible that there is people which know ntfs permissions and all
> that stuff better than applications like MS Office?
> well....it is. (even if it sound strange to me)

Sure. It all depends on your job role too. Most people will probably go
through their careers not needing to know anything about using Office, et
al. Despite being a SysAdmin I also had to support Software so it made
sense, for me, to do the MCDST. I was also lucky in that I'd previously been
in clerical and used Office so much that I was showing my MOS tutors how to
do some things in Word...

> Well..yes, anyway, I suppose I will resist the temptation to book my 272
> immediately and I'll go through the book instead.
> I don't have the luxury of a second free test, unfortunately

Personally that would be my recommendation, whatever level you thought you
were at. You'd probably pass if you did it tomorrow but think how gutted
you'd be if you _did_ fail rather than spend a couple of weeks going through
the book! It never hurts to be prepared.

--
Certifications:
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MOS Master, Security+, Network+, A+

colddove

The only thing I'd like to add is that there are more than one version of
the tests. I myself found the 272 more difficult but I had a lot of
questions that were different from the next guy in my class who said it was
way easier than the 271 he took. We compared questions that we could
remember and the test I took was agreed upon by the entire class to be
harder than the other students. Than it comes down to what you're good at. I
know I'm good with Office and IE settings etc... it just depends on what you
get on your exam, they're all different. I probably just picked up one of
the easier 271's and a harder 272. That's all I can think.

The one thing that we have to remember and I know you probably already know
is that we all have our strengths and weaknesses so it's hard to compare
what's really harder and what's easier.

news:eNrd%(E-Mail Removed)...