Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Renewal?

Renewal?

kpwood

Do you have to renew either of the MCDST exams to stay current? If so, how
many years is it current and is it only one exam or both?

The Rev [MCT]

The MCDST like the other current legacy certifications have no expiration,
and is still current technology. The newer certifications such as MCPD,
MCITP, and the new MCTS will however expire at the end of the products life
cycle form which the certification was derived.

--
..rev.mct.mcngp.44

It is the mark of an educated man to be able to
entertain a thought without accepting it.
~Aristotle
"kpwood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Do you have to renew either of the MCDST exams to stay current? If so, how
> many years is it current and is it only one exam or both?

kpwood

Cool, Thanks!

"The Rev [MCT]" wrote:

> The MCDST like the other current legacy certifications have no expiration,
> and is still current technology. The newer certifications such as MCPD,
> MCITP, and the new MCTS will however expire at the end of the products life
> cycle form which the certification was derived.
>
> --
> ..rev.mct.mcngp.44
>
> It is the mark of an educated man to be able to
> entertain a thought without accepting it.
> ~Aristotle
> "kpwood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Do you have to renew either of the MCDST exams to stay current? If so, how
> > many years is it current and is it only one exam or both?

CocoaNut

I've heard that the MCDST is updated to be based upon new operating systems
as old ones retire. For instance, I believe that the MCDST cert. used to be
based upon Windows NT Workstation. Does anyone know if this is true? If so,
if one becomes MCDST certified sometime, say, this year, how would this
affect him/her later (i.e., would this only be valid for Windows XP, and
would they have to take MCDST again if they wanted to stay current with
Vista?). In other words, what happens when the certification test changes?

Thanks,
CocoaNut

"The Rev [MCT]" wrote:

> The MCDST like the other current legacy certifications have no expiration,
> and is still current technology. The newer certifications such as MCPD,
> MCITP, and the new MCTS will however expire at the end of the products life
> cycle form which the certification was derived.
>
> --
> ..rev.mct.mcngp.44
>
> It is the mark of an educated man to be able to
> entertain a thought without accepting it.
> ~Aristotle
> "kpwood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Do you have to renew either of the MCDST exams to stay current? If so, how
> > many years is it current and is it only one exam or both?

The Rev [MCT]

The MCDST launched in 2004 and Windows XP is the only version in existence.
As for plans to push it up to Vista...I don't know, since they are changing
the certs.

--
..rev.mct.mcngp.44

It is the mark of an educated man to be able to
entertain a thought without accepting it.
~Aristotle
"CocoaNut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've heard that the MCDST is updated to be based upon new operating
> systems
> as old ones retire. For instance, I believe that the MCDST cert. used to
> be
> based upon Windows NT Workstation. Does anyone know if this is true? If
> so,
> if one becomes MCDST certified sometime, say, this year, how would this
> affect him/her later (i.e., would this only be valid for Windows XP, and
> would they have to take MCDST again if they wanted to stay current with
> Vista?). In other words, what happens when the certification test changes?
>
> Thanks,
> CocoaNut
>

> "The Rev [MCT]" wrote:
>
>> The MCDST like the other current legacy certifications have no
>> expiration,
>> and is still current technology. The newer certifications such as MCPD,
>> MCITP, and the new MCTS will however expire at the end of the products
>> life
>> cycle form which the certification was derived.
>>
>> --
>> ..rev.mct.mcngp.44
>>
>> It is the mark of an educated man to be able to
>> entertain a thought without accepting it.
>> ~Aristotle
>> "kpwood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Do you have to renew either of the MCDST exams to stay current? If so,
>> > how
>> > many years is it current and is it only one exam or both?

CocoaNut

Hmmm... Good to know. I wonder if the MCDST cert. will still be valuable in a
couple years before XP is retired.

--CocoaNut

"The Rev [MCT]" wrote:

> The MCDST launched in 2004 and Windows XP is the only version in existence.
> As for plans to push it up to Vista...I don't know, since they are changing
> the certs.
>
> --
> ..rev.mct.mcngp.44
>
> It is the mark of an educated man to be able to
> entertain a thought without accepting it.
> ~Aristotle
> "CocoaNut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I've heard that the MCDST is updated to be based upon new operating
> > systems
> > as old ones retire. For instance, I believe that the MCDST cert. used to
> > be
> > based upon Windows NT Workstation. Does anyone know if this is true? If
> > so,
> > if one becomes MCDST certified sometime, say, this year, how would this
> > affect him/her later (i.e., would this only be valid for Windows XP, and
> > would they have to take MCDST again if they wanted to stay current with
> > Vista?). In other words, what happens when the certification test changes?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > CocoaNut
> >

> > "The Rev [MCT]" wrote:
> >
> >> The MCDST like the other current legacy certifications have no
> >> expiration,
> >> and is still current technology. The newer certifications such as MCPD,
> >> MCITP, and the new MCTS will however expire at the end of the products
> >> life
> >> cycle form which the certification was derived.
> >>
> >> --
> >> ..rev.mct.mcngp.44
> >>
> >> It is the mark of an educated man to be able to
> >> entertain a thought without accepting it.
> >> ~Aristotle
> >> "kpwood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Luke

There will undoubtably be some kind of "upgrade" exam for all of the MCDST
certificed people.

And even if there isn't there will be a new exam/s, but I don't think were
going to see the end of XP for quite some time yet : )

"CocoaNut" wrote:

> Hmmm... Good to know. I wonder if the MCDST cert. will still be valuable in a
> couple years before XP is retired.
>
> --CocoaNut
>
> "The Rev [MCT]" wrote:
>
> > The MCDST launched in 2004 and Windows XP is the only version in existence.
> > As for plans to push it up to Vista...I don't know, since they are changing
> > the certs.
> >
> > --
> > ..rev.mct.mcngp.44
> >
> > It is the mark of an educated man to be able to
> > entertain a thought without accepting it.
> > ~Aristotle
> > "CocoaNut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I've heard that the MCDST is updated to be based upon new operating
> > > systems
> > > as old ones retire. For instance, I believe that the MCDST cert. used to
> > > be
> > > based upon Windows NT Workstation. Does anyone know if this is true? If
> > > so,
> > > if one becomes MCDST certified sometime, say, this year, how would this
> > > affect him/her later (i.e., would this only be valid for Windows XP, and
> > > would they have to take MCDST again if they wanted to stay current with
> > > Vista?). In other words, what happens when the certification test changes?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > CocoaNut

CocoaNut

Good point.

I vaugly remember a list of when Windows operating systems have/will
retired. I tried Googling it, but couldn't come up with anything. Has anyone
ever seen such a list?

Thanks,
CocoaNut

Looking for this??

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/default.mspx

--
..rev - mct.mcngp.44
..
"CocoaNut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Good point.
|
| I vaugly remember a list of when Windows operating systems have/will
| retired. I tried Googling it, but couldn't come up with anything. Has
anyone
| ever seen such a list?
|
| Thanks,
| CocoaNut
|
| "Luke" wrote:
|
| > There will undoubtably be some kind of "upgrade" exam for all of the
MCDST
| > certificed people.
| >
| > And even if there isn't there will be a new exam/s, but I don't think
were
| > going to see the end of XP for quite some time yet : )
| >
| > "CocoaNut" wrote:
| >
| > > Hmmm... Good to know. I wonder if the MCDST cert. will still be
valuable in a
| > > couple years before XP is retired.
| > >
| > > --CocoaNut

used to