Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > best self-paced training books?

best self-paced training books?

Villain

Hey all,

I have been reading this group for a few weeks now, and trying to get
a grip on some of the stuff that will be needed for me to pass the
70-271 and 70-272 exams. One of the things I haven't found, though,
is the book that most people recommend.

I talked with some people at the local testing center, and they agree
that the Microsoft Self-Paced kits are not the way to go, and that I
should look for something that's more comprehensive than the MSPK
books. Does anyone have a suggestion?

I don't have a ton of money, so buying the DVD's, books, test kits,
transcenders, etc. won't be an option. However, I can possibly get
away with 2 books per test, if needed. I was able to pass 70-215 and
70-218 (with decent scores) using the Microsoft Self-Paced Kits and
the Sybex books (I believe it was Sybex), along with a lot of hands on
work with Windows 2000 Server.

I have plenty of Windows XP boxes to work with, and I am constantly
taking the 30 question self-assessment exam with an 80% or higher
score. However, there are a few questions that still get me, as I am
unsure on how to answer them. One of the things I am probably having
the hardest time with is the procedural stuff (i.e. when is this
considered an incident) as opposed to the actual Windows XP related
issues.

I have not taken 70-270, but I have been told that it would make 271
and 272 easier. Would it be a good idea to get this one out of the
way first?

Thank you for any tips you can offer.

barney boy

i have just taken both exams at a boot camp and i used the MSPK books to
study before i took the exams but on the course they used the Windows XP
inside out book and we used that for studying etc. Not sure which is best but
good luck anyway
--
Barney

Always looking for help in order to help others.

Villain

I'm definately not discounting the Microsoft Books. I have used them
in the past to obtain my MCP with Windows 2000 Server. I have quite a
bit of experience with Windows XP, so I feel fairly confident with
taking these tests, as well. I simply want to ensure that I cover the
majority of what will be on the test. As we all know, the content on
the test is different than any one study guide will give you, so
relying on just one isn't the best idea.

With that in mind, if I did get the Microsoft Press books, are there
any others that people would recommend. I liked the Sybex books that
I used with Windows 2000 Server, but their books are hit and miss
sometimes (their client OS books seemed that way more than their
server OS ones).

I'll take any suggestions that people offer.

Thanks,