Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Two Subnets, 1 Workgroup

Two Subnets, 1 Workgroup

Agent1721

I am trying to setup 2 routers each having its own subnet of 192.168.2.0 &
192.168.1.0. 1 router is a combo (Bell modem/ router) the other router is a
Linksys WRT54GS. I want only 1 workgroup though.
When I enable the RIP functions in both routers, I am able to ping the
computer's IP Address from 1 subnet to the other. But when I check "My
Network Places" The computers do not show up (& I turned of all software
firewalls).

Do I have to enter some LMHosts file entry? Maybe re-run Network Setup Wizard?

Poepad

Are talking routers or hubs?

"Agent1721" wrote:

> I am trying to setup 2 routers each having its own subnet of 192.168.2.0 &
> 192.168.1.0. 1 router is a combo (Bell modem/ router) the other router is a
> Linksys WRT54GS. I want only 1 workgroup though.
> When I enable the RIP functions in both routers, I am able to ping the
> computer's IP Address from 1 subnet to the other. But when I check "My
> Network Places" The computers do not show up (& I turned of all software
> firewalls).
>
> Do I have to enter some LMHosts file entry? Maybe re-run Network Setup Wizard?

Ralphie

Are these routers sharing the same Internet connection and are these routers
being recognized by your O/S?

"Poepad" wrote:

> Are talking routers or hubs?
>
> "Agent1721" wrote:
>
> > I am trying to setup 2 routers each having its own subnet of 192.168.2.0 &
> > 192.168.1.0. 1 router is a combo (Bell modem/ router) the other router is a
> > Linksys WRT54GS. I want only 1 workgroup though.
> > When I enable the RIP functions in both routers, I am able to ping the
> > computer's IP Address from 1 subnet to the other. But when I check "My
> > Network Places" The computers do not show up (& I turned of all software
> > firewalls).
> >
> > Do I have to enter some LMHosts file entry? Maybe re-run Network Setup Wizard?

MitchS

"kendall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Subnets basically split up two networks. And 192.168.2.0 is not a
> subnet.

Actually it could be and probably is.

> A subnet is IE: 255.255.255.0 or 255.255.0.0

Those are subnet masks which serve only to identify how many bits of an
address belong to the subnet and how many to the host.

> You have two seperate gateways from the sounds of it.

The OP alrerady said that. A Linksys and a Bell, each of which will have
an interface on their respective subnet which will have an address being the
default gateway for the hosts that subnet.

And now to the OP, have you turned on file and print sharing? Unless I am
mistaken, in a workgroup environment you have to enable file and print
sharing, creaste a share, and then add a network place if it doesn't show
itself automatically.

--
Mitch "yer such a Jameshole" S.