Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Need advice 272 - I failed...

Need advice 272 - I failed...

ra

Hello,

Today is one of my worst day...
It's really ashamed to say but I failed 272 twice in a week, and both scored
675. I don't know what to say...

I've been doing help desk for 5 years, desktop tech for 1.5 years, and
manufacture tech support for 0.5 year. I passed A+ a month ago and it wasn't
so hard for me. I first even thought I could pass without study. I studied
with the latest Microsoft Press (with SP2) and Exam Cram2 for 272. Other
than the books I went through the practice exams on the CDs comes with the
books thoroughly. I studied until I got board...

The problem is the actual exam covered a lot which wasn't covered in these
books. For example, I don't recall the books covered well about Remote
Desktop if I'm not mistaken, but I got 4 questions about it.

The reason I took 272 before 271 was I thought 272 seems more familiar and
easier since I've been using XP with Office XP or 2003 for years every day
since it was released. I'm now planning to study for 271 first, then take
272 later.

It was my first MCP so I'm sort of frustrated with the results because I
believe this is entry level of MCP. I'm kind of lost what I'm missing. Any
advice will be appreciated.

RA

Taylor

RA,

If you can, without violating the NDA, what do you feel like you were
uncomfortable with during the test? What made you feel unprepared?

Also, in my opinion, the 70-271 was harder than the 70-272 in a few
more aspects. So going that route may not be the best thing right now.
However, I will say this: taking and passing the 70-271 will build a
foundation for what the 70-272 will ask you questions about.

Please elaborate a little more on what sections that you did not feel
comfortable with and I'll try and help.

Taylor
---
MCP, MCDST

ra

Thanks, Taylor.

During the exam, I felt uncomfortable that questions were more twisted than
practice exams, and inclined to the particular items, yet covered very
widely more than the book covered.

The chart I received after the exam shows that all the
categories(troubleshooting, usage, customization, connectivity, and
security) are almost equally done.

About your comment on 271 is that exactly what I thought. For the motivation
reason and retake policy (I can't take for 2 weeks after the second fail),
I'll go with 271 next time. Do you think the latest Microsoft Press and Exam
Clam 2 would help most? I've already have those books. Could you please
advice if anything else I should go over before the exam.

RA

"Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> RA,
>
> If you can, without violating the NDA, what do you feel like you were
> uncomfortable with during the test? What made you feel unprepared?
>
> Also, in my opinion, the 70-271 was harder than the 70-272 in a few
> more aspects. So going that route may not be the best thing right now.
> However, I will say this: taking and passing the 70-271 will build a
> foundation for what the 70-272 will ask you questions about.
>
> Please elaborate a little more on what sections that you did not feel
> comfortable with and I'll try and help.
>

> Taylor
> ---
> MCP, MCDST

sarath

ra

The books cannot explain whole thing. Books give you main guidelines. You
have to find additional recourses like MS KB and TechNet “White papers”. I
took 272 yesterday. As you said I got some questions it’s made me crazy. For
example if you going to buy something online but it cannot do and what
problem it should be. I didn’t answer first time questions like that and when
the review time I spend time to think “why” for the answer. If I am going to
buy something online what I have to verify. What is the main priority? It
must be Security and site should be trusted. Second thing what is firewall
doing to block my online buying. Therefore, answer is clear now.

Best way to answer the questions review answers one by one. You can remove 2
answers easily. Now the time to verify which one is the right. When you are
doing the practice exam don’t look for the right answer. Just read why wrong
answers are wrong.

Yes. I agree with Taylor, 271 is little harder than 272. As well as I
suggest you read the post well what Taylor saying and follow him. When I was
in a trouble with 271 he gave me some priceless advice to find additional
information what books are not covered.

Good luck for you study.

--
MCP, MCDST
Hands that help are holier than lips that pray.

"ra" wrote:

> During the exam, I felt uncomfortable that questions were more twisted than
> practice exams, and inclined to the particular items, yet covered very
> widely more than the book covered.

Taylor

I would recommend that you keep those books, given that they're dealing
with Microsoft Windows XP (Service Pack 2). Also, I would recommend
that if you're going to take the 70-271 exam before you take the 70-272
exam that you go study www.technet.com by doing a search for the 5th
section: "Troubleshooting Network Protocols and Services".

Before you even consider doing the exam, make sure that you know this
following link without blinking:

https://www.microsoftelearning.com/e...?offerId=11583

That link will send you to free training for MCDST 70-271 and 70-272
from Microsoft.

By the way, if you're weak on a certain subject and are only failing
the test by 25 points, what I recommend that you do is find two
sections that you are doing poor in and study them and their components
on TechNet. Yes, the 70-272 exam does deal with Office, however, not to
the degree that you may have been told.

Really, take a section, improve upon what questions you know are in the
exam, and go ace the test.

Taylor
--
MCP, MCDST

ra

Sarath, Taylor,

I really appreciate your seful advice. I've already got plenty of advice
from both of you.

I need to change the idea of using books to get guidelines but not just for
memorize. I'll check out KB and TechNet “White papers”, although I feel a
little overwhelming by the large volume of information. I'll check out
websites Taylor recommended, too.

sarath's comment:
> When you are doing the practice exam don’t look for the right answer. Just read why wrong answers are wrong.

This is useful advice. In fact, I was doing the opposite way. I was trying
to "memorize" the correct answers, but this may not help be applicable in
real exam since we unlikely get the exactly same questions. They ask
different way -- that probably why I was lost.

Thank you again for your kindness and useful advice. I'll probably back with
other questions.

RA

"Taylor" wrote:

> I would recommend that you keep those books, given that they're dealing
> with Microsoft Windows XP (Service Pack 2). Also, I would recommend
> that if you're going to take the 70-271 exam before you take the 70-272
> exam that you go study www.technet.com by doing a search for the 5th
> section: "Troubleshooting Network Protocols and Services".
>
> Before you even consider doing the exam, make sure that you know this
> following link without blinking:
>
> https://www.microsoftelearning.com/e...?offerId=11583
>
> That link will send you to free training for MCDST 70-271 and 70-272
> from Microsoft.
>
> By the way, if you're weak on a certain subject and are only failing
> the test by 25 points, what I recommend that you do is find two
> sections that you are doing poor in and study them and their components
> on TechNet. Yes, the 70-272 exam does deal with Office, however, not to
> the degree that you may have been told.
>
> Really, take a section, improve upon what questions you know are in the
> exam, and go ace the test.
>

> Taylor
> --
> MCP, MCDST

smashedbanana@hotmail.com

Sorry to hear that. I imagine your trouble was due to not beinig
familiar with MS exams.

For advice I'd say:

1. Read the questions very carefully. Most of the answer is in the
question.
2. Remember you are looking for the BEST answer, most questions have
several answers that apply.
3. Knock off answer one by one. Think each answer through by re-reading
the question.

Best of luck!

Ed

ra

Ed,

Thanks for your advice. I'll keep them in mind. Yes, I was not familiar with
MS exam, and I think CompTIA A+ exam question was more straightforward.

RA