Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Is MCDST Equal to/Better than A+?

Is MCDST Equal to/Better than A+?

Jack Barrett

I work for a small Tech college here in NY.
Since I am an employee, I get to take classes for free. (Very Nice Benefit)

I am not sure whether I should take the Comptia A+ or MCDST classes. I want
to take these to work part time at my local Best Buy or Circuit City during
the summer when I am off. I have a teachers schedule which affords me this.

The MCDST looks attractive since I have set up home networks for myself and
friends many times. I have installed OS from W95 to XP, upgraded hardware
from adding RAM, new CPU, Hard Drives, Video cards, NIC, Wireless, etc.
Any suggestions on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Gratefully,

Jack Barrett
Director
College of Westchester

Jerry Mills

One is an apple and the other is an orange. It is not a question of one
being "better" then the other. MCDST is for supporting Microsoft end users.
It's focus is on Microsoft software as it relates to the PC. A+
certification's main focus is the PC. If you need both software and
hardware support skills, get them both. If focus is Microsoft software
support get MCDST and if the focus is on hardware, get the A+

--

Spider

http://spiderathome.blogspot.com/
http://spider1.blogspot.com/

"Jack Barrett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I work for a small Tech college here in NY.
> Since I am an employee, I get to take classes for free. (Very Nice
> Benefit)
>
> I am not sure whether I should take the Comptia A+ or MCDST classes. I
> want to take these to work part time at my local Best Buy or Circuit City
> during the summer when I am off. I have a teachers schedule which affords
> me this.
>
> The MCDST looks attractive since I have set up home networks for myself
> and friends many times. I have installed OS from W95 to XP, upgraded
> hardware from adding RAM, new CPU, Hard Drives, Video cards, NIC,
> Wireless, etc.
> Any suggestions on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Gratefully,
>
> Jack Barrett
> Director
> College of Westchester
> (E-Mail Removed)

PC TECHNICIAN

do first the A+. This will give you a solid foundation in any of your future
Certification.

Mady Cisse:A+, MCP, MCDST, NETWORK+

"Jerry Mills" wrote:

> One is an apple and the other is an orange. It is not a question of one
> being "better" then the other. MCDST is for supporting Microsoft end users.
> It's focus is on Microsoft software as it relates to the PC. A+
> certification's main focus is the PC. If you need both software and
> hardware support skills, get them both. If focus is Microsoft software
> support get MCDST and if the focus is on hardware, get the A+
>
> --
>
> Spider
>
> http://spiderathome.blogspot.com/
> http://spider1.blogspot.com/
>
> "Jack Barrett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I work for a small Tech college here in NY.
> > Since I am an employee, I get to take classes for free. (Very Nice
> > Benefit)
> >
> > I am not sure whether I should take the Comptia A+ or MCDST classes. I
> > want to take these to work part time at my local Best Buy or Circuit City
> > during the summer when I am off. I have a teachers schedule which affords
> > me this.
> >
> > The MCDST looks attractive since I have set up home networks for myself
> > and friends many times. I have installed OS from W95 to XP, upgraded
> > hardware from adding RAM, new CPU, Hard Drives, Video cards, NIC,
> > Wireless, etc.
> > Any suggestions on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Gratefully,
> >
> > Jack Barrett
> > Director
> > College of Westchester
> > (E-Mail Removed)

Taylor

The MCDST is specific to Microsoft Software.

The A+ is specific to how a computer runs and how its OS works with the
hardware.

The MCDST alone will not ensure that you have the minimum requirements
that a future/current employer is looking for when they have A+ set
into their mind.

The A+, according to www.comptia.org, is the equivilant of 500 hands-on
hours with a computer.

The MCDST, according to Microsoft, was implemented to take place of the
A+ certification exam.

The A+ will always build a solid resume in addition to any MCP exam.

In the end, show diversity on a resume and in your skills and you're a
better employee.

Taylor

Taylor

Quote Jack Barrett:

> I want to take these to work part time at my local Best Buy or Circuit City during
> the summer when I am off.

You would never make a poorer decision in your life. Please allow me to
get on the rag:

1. Circuit City will not base your pay on your certifications or your
experience, they base it on the time that you've been with the company.
However, you would possibly be doing some in-home work with Circuit
City along with all of the other technicians. Around 7.25/hr starting
off. I know enough about Circuit City to also say that what I will say
about Best Buy will be VERY similar.

2. You could never be a bigger a$$fuc&er working for Best Buy. I'm
going to keep my reasons quiet why, and how, I know this information,
but please take my word on it.

So, you want to be a member of "Geek Squad". HAHAHAHA, I laugh in your
face.

Did you know that the "Agents" of Best Buy Geek Squad (better known as
technicians that look like Mormons) aren't required to take any
technical competency test at all before they go face first into your
computer and OS?

Did you know the fools that they have at Best Buy known as "Double
Agents" driving a Beetle aren't any smarter than the people in the
store, they're just better at going into someone's home and creating a
problem so that the customer pays them more money.

Did you know that you would not only be a lowly
dressed-as-a-bible-salesman-technician, but if you can't sell their
services on the floor - mind you away from the Tech bench where you
thought you'd be all along - then they will repremand you to the
fullest extent?

Did you know that being a member of "Geek Squad" requires that you're
on a retail schedule and not a schedule that is coheasive with most
normal working people's lives?

Did you know that Best Buy will try and suck the life out of you by
demeaning your ethics on sales tactics, make false promises to you
about promotions, and never give you a raise after working there a
year?

Did you know that Best Buy will give you a bi-annual test called a
ViewPoint survey designed to measure your psychological commitment to
the company that if you don't give them a perfect score on it that
corporate will send the store managers an E-Mail instructing them to
fire you as soon as possible?

Did you know that Best Buy will measure your performance on an hourly
basis, every day, completely biased on how the Supervisor or Management
feels at that very moment?

Did you know that if you DO get hired at Best Buy that chances are
they'll promise Geek Squad to you and never put you in that position.

So, Jack, if you'd like to work for either one of these c0c&suc&ing
companies, please let me know when you apply so I can laugh at you
again.

Go support the little man, your local tech shop, not a company like
Best Buy who has on their agenda to "Take over the world with Best Buy
Geek Squad Technology Services" - and mind you, that is a DIRECT quote
from a paper I'm aware of.

Enjoy,

Taylor

T-Bone

"Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> You would never make a poorer decision in your life. Please allow me to
> get on the rag:

You sound bitter. Are you bitter?
--
T-Bone
MCNGP XL

CBIC

> 2. You could never be a bigger a$$fuc&er working for Best Buy.

Nice rant but that's incorrect use of the sacred phrase.
--
aka
Doom MCNGP #38

MitchS

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> 2. You could never be a bigger a$$fuc&er working for Best Buy.

> Nice rant but that's incorrect use of the sacred phrase.

Yep, further fun pokin at one's unfortunate employment by certain places
idn't very nice. Horrible, yes, but working at BB alone does not an AF
make.

--
Mitch "yer such a Jameshole" S.
Winnner plays, loser stays. Everyone's a winne - well, not everyone." - F.

Taylor

Bitter, maybe. I've said enough...

Taylor
--
MCP, MCDST

CBIC

TechGeekPro wrote:
> On Nov 28, 2005 at 1:57pm "CBIC" blathered:
>
>> Nice rant but that's incorrect use of the sacred phrase.

> Not necessarily.

Huh? please elaborate.
--
aka
Doom MCNGP #38

Internet Sharing: Equal upload speeds but un-equal download speeds =?Utf-8?B?TkpU?= Wireless Networking 3 09-15-2007 06:22 AM
Is MCDST Equal to/Better than A+? Jack Barrett A+ Certification 6 11-29-2005 01:34 AM
MCDST Equal to A+? Jack Barrett MCDST 1 10-30-2004 09:52 PM
"at least equal or better image quality than Canon EOS-1Ds" Mike Henley Digital Photography 15 05-27-2004 03:13 AM
Greater than operator Vs Equal to operator : Which one is efficient? Vivek Mandava C Programming 28 09-11-2003 10:43 AM

Advertisments