Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Should I go through the whole MS Press Book?

Should I go through the whole MS Press Book?

harythewho

Im 15 and I am wondering if I should go through the whole MS Press Book... It
seems ridiculous to me to do that since its over 600 pages of details on each
topic. I have alot of experience on using Win XP Pro and I know how to tweak
and manage a majority of the features of Win XP. So should I do go through
the whole book or just do like the other guys which is just take measure up
tests over and over and over until one gets over 90 percent?

Debb

Oh dear Hary........

Some questions in the test aren't even related to the MS Press Book
contents, so expect the unexpected! The way you prepare for this is to read
ALL of the material in detail, INCLUDING the recommended reading in the last
few chapters of the book. The best way to avoid reading ALL of the material
is to skim over what you THINK you already know, but take the time to at
least make sure. There's always at least two or three ways to access and
tweak just one particular setting. The question you need to be asking
yourself is, which one will the test ask you to detail???? So while you know
the tweaks, you may not know all of the alternatives.

I have 5 years support desk experience (2 as manager), 3 years system
builder experience, 15 years home user experience and I NEEDED to read that
book from cover to cover in order to pass the exam! I didn't have any domain
and very little network experience, so all that I know I learned from the
book and recommended reading sources.

While Microsoft are offering the 2nd chance tests (2ndFRE is the code used
to rebook any exam you fail before 31st Aug, and want to retake before end
September for no extra cost), you can simply take the test and if you fail,
hell nothing lost because you get a second shot free. That will ultimately
be the proof of whether you're as smart as you think you are .

My husband has a saying........ hire a teenager, while they know everything!
Good luck because I think you're going to need it.

DebB

"harythewho" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Im 15 and I am wondering if I should go through the whole MS Press Book...
> It
> seems ridiculous to me to do that since its over 600 pages of details on
> each
> topic. I have alot of experience on using Win XP Pro and I know how to
> tweak
> and manage a majority of the features of Win XP. So should I do go through
> the whole book or just do like the other guys which is just take measure
> up
> tests over and over and over until one gets over 90 percent?

harythewho

hmmmm... so overall I have to read every bit of the book right?

harythewho

oh yeah... one more thing. How long did it take you to read and take notes on
the whole book? It will be very helpful if you provide the info.

Michel Vaillant

If you already have a good basic knowledge of XP it seems stupid reading the
whole book, but remind that there always might be something you didn't know
in the chapters you think you know from practice. My advise for you is to
read the whole book, but only concentrate and take notes about the things
you didn't know.
After that take some practice tests and figure out the areas you have
problems with and read them again in the book.
Remember that the idea behind the exams (for me although) is not just the
paper or the title of MCDST but to really know what you do. To prove you
know your stuff ...
If you plan on taking any other exams after the MCDST it's important to get
a studying strategy, cause for MCSA/MCSE exams it's best practice to read
the whole book and everything they point out to in the book ... maybe even
some extra papers/books.
It's a state of mind!!

"harythewho" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hmmmm... so overall I have to read every bit of the book right?

RobinLKM

"harythewho" wrote:

> hmmmm... so overall I have to read every bit of the book right?

In my humble opinion, if you don't want to go through the whole book in
detail, you can just viewing the topics. When you find something you don't
know, you can read it in detail. This is my way of reading it.
*I am also 15 years old mind to give me your MSN messenger account?

Steveo

Maybe look at it another way: it's not only about passing the test. It's
about learning everything you can. Read that book and find others to study
also. I'm 40 years older than you and I study every day - there is so much
to know in this business. This is a knowledge business.