Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > What's the 271 exam really like?

What's the 271 exam really like?

Debb

I still can't believe I actually passed the exam after the dreadfully uneven
weight, of the bulk of the questions, being in the network and domain field.
I reckon at least 35/40, or more, of the 61 questions were solely related to
domain and network, which IS my weak spot. I found the exam very hard! I had
to re read most questions a couple of times at least. I didn't have enough
time left to finish reviewing all the questions that I'd marked for review.

I studied MS Press MCDST exam 70-271 and re read the domain and network
areas 3 times, along with any other technet material I could lay my hands
on. I simply didn't have any experience in the domain and network area and
was relying solely on the book. Now having said that, the book did a pretty
good job in teaching me.... because I passed and I feel that I know some of
it well enough to be confident!

At least 5 of the exam questions had no reference at all in the Microsoft
Press book, so........ expect the unexpected! In fact, the phrasing of the
exam questions was very different from MeasureUp's and I didn't like it.
MeasureUp was by far the easier of the two.

Practicly none of the desktop settings were included, very little hardware
(my strongest point) and precious little of anything else was included in
the exam. Only one question about the language bar......... and thank
goodness there were NONE of those horrid MeasureUp questions about putting a
solution into the correct order (AGGHHH, I never could get those right even
when I knew the sequence and had supported it too many times to count)

The exam was terrible!!! It was so unevenly weighted in my weakest area that
at about question 45 I just wanted to cry. The heat in the room at 'Advanced
Learning' (Melbourne, Australia) was comparable only to the mirage
experience, in the height of a tropical summer going down Knucky Street in
Darwin (it's bloody hot when the tar begins to melt)!!!! There was no
ventilation at all in the room and 4 people crammed into a space no bigger
than 1.5 metres wide x about 3.5 long!!!! Some stupid receptionist kept
coming up and closing the damned door so we wouldn't be disturbed by the
noise outside, but we feared we'd all be killed by the heat and had to keep
opening it.

Quite a morning! I think I'll go and take something strong for my migraine
and delay the champagne until after 272 which will be a sinch for me. Good
luck to you if you're yet to tackle the 271 beasty, and make sure you study
like there's no tomorrow. Keep doing the MeasureUp practice tests until you
get at least 90% most of the time. I didn't waste my money on buying
anything beyond the MS Press book and was happy with what was included. I
recommend it.

Methos

Sounds like good advice, if I get a similar test I think I'll be happy.
I work in a very large corp enviro and the SOE is all XP with W2K / W2K3
servers.
So running/building/managing XP under a domain I am very familar with.
Here's hoping
it helps.

Also from reading this forum it seems I am somewhat backwards, I took the
272
exam first because I expected that to be the harder of the 2 exams. So
plowed
in to the MS press books and lots of hands on with my test machines at work.
Guess its a personal choice.

I have the MS Press book for 271 as well and start on that one tomorrow,
(only passed 272 today) so I think I deserve one day off *

Have booked the exam for 11/8/05, nothing like preassure to make you study
hard.
I've paid for it now, if I dont put in the yards 2 things happen, 1 I'll
fail
2 My wife will kill me LOL.

Grats on passing 271 Debb !

"Debb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Ogte7%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I still can't believe I actually passed the exam after the dreadfully
>uneven weight, of the bulk of the questions, being in the network and
>domain field. I reckon at least 35/40, or more, of the 61 questions were
>solely related to domain and network, which IS my weak spot. I found the
>exam very hard! I had to re read most questions a couple of times at least.
>I didn't have enough time left to finish reviewing all the questions that
>I'd marked for review.
>
> I studied MS Press MCDST exam 70-271 and re read the domain and network
> areas 3 times, along with any other technet material I could lay my hands
> on. I simply didn't have any experience in the domain and network area and
> was relying solely on the book. Now having said that, the book did a
> pretty good job in teaching me.... because I passed and I feel that I know
> some of it well enough to be confident!
>
> At least 5 of the exam questions had no reference at all in the Microsoft
> Press book, so........ expect the unexpected! In fact, the phrasing of the
> exam questions was very different from MeasureUp's and I didn't like it.
> MeasureUp was by far the easier of the two.
>
> Practicly none of the desktop settings were included, very little hardware
> (my strongest point) and precious little of anything else was included in
> the exam. Only one question about the language bar......... and thank
> goodness there were NONE of those horrid MeasureUp questions about putting
> a solution into the correct order (AGGHHH, I never could get those right
> even when I knew the sequence and had supported it too many times to
> count)
>
> The exam was terrible!!! It was so unevenly weighted in my weakest area
> that at about question 45 I just wanted to cry. The heat in the room at
> 'Advanced Learning' (Melbourne, Australia) was comparable only to the
> mirage experience, in the height of a tropical summer going down Knucky
> Street in Darwin (it's bloody hot when the tar begins to melt)!!!! There
> was no ventilation at all in the room and 4 people crammed into a space no
> bigger than 1.5 metres wide x about 3.5 long!!!! Some stupid receptionist
> kept coming up and closing the damned door so we wouldn't be disturbed by
> the noise outside, but we feared we'd all be killed by the heat and had to
> keep opening it.
>
> Quite a morning! I think I'll go and take something strong for my migraine
> and delay the champagne until after 272 which will be a sinch for me. Good
> luck to you if you're yet to tackle the 271 beasty, and make sure you
> study like there's no tomorrow. Keep doing the MeasureUp practice tests
> until you get at least 90% most of the time. I didn't waste my money on
> buying anything beyond the MS Press book and was happy with what was
> included. I recommend it.

AmyAmandaAllen

did you find it harder than the measure up tests?

"Debb" wrote:

> I still can't believe I actually passed the exam after the dreadfully uneven
> weight, of the bulk of the questions, being in the network and domain field.
> I reckon at least 35/40, or more, of the 61 questions were solely related to
> domain and network, which IS my weak spot. I found the exam very hard! I had
> to re read most questions a couple of times at least. I didn't have enough
> time left to finish reviewing all the questions that I'd marked for review.
>
> I studied MS Press MCDST exam 70-271 and re read the domain and network
> areas 3 times, along with any other technet material I could lay my hands
> on. I simply didn't have any experience in the domain and network area and
> was relying solely on the book. Now having said that, the book did a pretty
> good job in teaching me.... because I passed and I feel that I know some of
> it well enough to be confident!
>
> At least 5 of the exam questions had no reference at all in the Microsoft
> Press book, so........ expect the unexpected! In fact, the phrasing of the
> exam questions was very different from MeasureUp's and I didn't like it.
> MeasureUp was by far the easier of the two.
>
> Practicly none of the desktop settings were included, very little hardware
> (my strongest point) and precious little of anything else was included in
> the exam. Only one question about the language bar......... and thank
> goodness there were NONE of those horrid MeasureUp questions about putting a
> solution into the correct order (AGGHHH, I never could get those right even
> when I knew the sequence and had supported it too many times to count)
>
> The exam was terrible!!! It was so unevenly weighted in my weakest area that
> at about question 45 I just wanted to cry. The heat in the room at 'Advanced
> Learning' (Melbourne, Australia) was comparable only to the mirage
> experience, in the height of a tropical summer going down Knucky Street in
> Darwin (it's bloody hot when the tar begins to melt)!!!! There was no
> ventilation at all in the room and 4 people crammed into a space no bigger
> than 1.5 metres wide x about 3.5 long!!!! Some stupid receptionist kept
> coming up and closing the damned door so we wouldn't be disturbed by the
> noise outside, but we feared we'd all be killed by the heat and had to keep
> opening it.
>
> Quite a morning! I think I'll go and take something strong for my migraine
> and delay the champagne until after 272 which will be a sinch for me. Good
> luck to you if you're yet to tackle the 271 beasty, and make sure you study
> like there's no tomorrow. Keep doing the MeasureUp practice tests until you
> get at least 90% most of the time. I didn't waste my money on buying
> anything beyond the MS Press book and was happy with what was included. I
> recommend it.

Debb

Best of luck to you!

"Methos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>> Street in Darwin (it's bloody hot when the tar begins to melt)!!!! There
>> was no ventilation at all in the room and 4 people crammed into a space
>> no bigger than 1.5 metres wide x about 3.5 long!!!! Some stupid
>> receptionist kept coming up and closing the damned door so we wouldn't be
>> disturbed by the noise outside, but we feared we'd all be killed by the
>> heat and had to keep opening it.
>>
>> Quite a morning! I think I'll go and take something strong for my
>> migraine and delay the champagne until after 272 which will be a sinch
>> for me. Good luck to you if you're yet to tackle the 271 beasty, and make
>> sure you study like there's no tomorrow. Keep doing the MeasureUp
>> practice tests until you get at least 90% most of the time. I didn't
>> waste my money on buying anything beyond the MS Press book and was happy

Yes, it definatly was

"AmyAmandaAllen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>> than 1.5 metres wide x about 3.5 long!!!! Some stupid receptionist kept
>> coming up and closing the damned door so we wouldn't be disturbed by the
>> noise outside, but we feared we'd all be killed by the heat and had to
>> keep
>> opening it.
>>
>> Quite a morning! I think I'll go and take something strong for my
>> migraine
>> and delay the champagne until after 272 which will be a sinch for me.
>> Good
>> luck to you if you're yet to tackle the 271 beasty, and make sure you
>> study
>> like there's no tomorrow. Keep doing the MeasureUp practice tests until
>> you
>> get at least 90% most of the time. I didn't waste my money on buying
>> anything beyond the MS Press book and was happy with what was included. I

JGroove

My experience was very similar. The test started out rather nicely, but
then it progressively got more difficult. Lots of questions dealing with
permissions, networks, and domains.
I used the MeasureUp practice tests (150 questions) which were very
beneficial and similar to the actual test. I also purchased a book, "MCDST
Exams" by Timothy L. Warner, which I strongly do not recommend (too many
issues to list here!).
During the test, I found myself having to rely on the process of elimination
more than actually knowing the answer to the question. I honestly felt like
I'd sub-optimized and was totally surprised to see that I'd scored an 849!
My advice is to really study permissions, networking (TCP/IP, LMHOSTS,
NetBIOS, etc.), domain issues, USB issues and you'll do fine.
My test had 61 questions with 155 minutes to complete the test.
The best of luck to you.