Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > MCDST Training Kit

MCDST Training Kit

Scott RoLo

I'm ready for chapter 2 of the self-paced "Training Kit" by Glenn & Simpson:
Installation of WinXP Pro (Evaluation) on my PC or Laptop. I would appreciate
advice from the experienced. Both Compaq machines are relatively new with
factory WinXP Home. Both exceed minimum hardware requirements. I have
emergency start-up disks. I will back up my files and create a restore point.
I use the desktop daily so am leaning toward using the laptop. What else?
Should I partition a drive? What will happen when the evaluation period ends
and what will I have to do to return to "normal"?
Thanks in advance for your support.
--
Scott RoLo

dubya

"Scott RoLo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm ready for chapter 2 of the self-paced "Training Kit" by Glenn &
> Simpson:
> Installation of WinXP Pro (Evaluation) on my PC or Laptop. I would
> appreciate
> advice from the experienced. Both Compaq machines are relatively new with
> factory WinXP Home. Both exceed minimum hardware requirements. I have
> emergency start-up disks. I will back up my files and create a restore
> point.
> I use the desktop daily so am leaning toward using the laptop. What else?
> Should I partition a drive? What will happen when the evaluation period
> ends
> and what will I have to do to return to "normal"?
> Thanks in advance for your support.
> --
> Scott RoLo

Yes you should create a separate partition. You might want to assign drive
letters late in the alphabet to your removable drives ahead of time, if you
can do that with Home. Then do a clean install of the Pro Eval editioin to
the new partition. You should then be able to boot into either version.
Save your data to the original partition (where Home Ed. is still happy and
healthy). When the eval is over, try reinstalling pro over top of itself.
If that doesn't work (i.e., it tells you it has expired, or it won't let you
reactivate and when you call to complain the service rep won't help) you
can simply wipe the partition and reinstall, or if you are done with Pro,
just use the partition for something else.
You won't have to do anything to return to normal, because you will have
never left normality.
It'll be easy. Good luck.

Scott RoLo

Thank you -- didn't know I was ever IN "normality".

"dubya" wrote:

> "Scott RoLo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm ready for chapter 2 of the self-paced "Training Kit" by Glenn &
> > Simpson:
> > Installation of WinXP Pro (Evaluation) on my PC or Laptop. I would
> > appreciate
> > advice from the experienced. Both Compaq machines are relatively new with
> > factory WinXP Home. Both exceed minimum hardware requirements. I have
> > emergency start-up disks. I will back up my files and create a restore
> > point.
> > I use the desktop daily so am leaning toward using the laptop. What else?
> > Should I partition a drive? What will happen when the evaluation period
> > ends
> > and what will I have to do to return to "normal"?
> > Thanks in advance for your support.
> > --
> > Scott RoLo

> Yes you should create a separate partition. You might want to assign drive
> letters late in the alphabet to your removable drives ahead of time, if you
> can do that with Home. Then do a clean install of the Pro Eval editioin to
> the new partition. You should then be able to boot into either version.
> Save your data to the original partition (where Home Ed. is still happy and
> healthy). When the eval is over, try reinstalling pro over top of itself.
> If that doesn't work (i.e., it tells you it has expired, or it won't let you
> reactivate and when you call to complain the service rep won't help) you
> can simply wipe the partition and reinstall, or if you are done with Pro,
> just use the partition for something else.
> You won't have to do anything to return to normal, because you will have
> never left normality.
> It'll be easy. Good luck.

Al Romanosky

Be certain of the evaluation period. Training kits stated period for
Microsoft Office 2003 (Kit for 702-72 by Glenn) was 120 days - installation
said 30 days which Microsoft verified - 120 days was in error. BTW - you
cannot "upgrade" over the evaluation copy.
"dubya" suggestions are viable. Also consider saving old system files
option when installing XP Pro - doing so will permit removal of the
evaluation copy.

AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
Myers, FL

Micah E.

Scott,

I just finished chapter 2 of the MCDST Training Kit, 70-271. If you also
want more in-depth knowledge of the chapter objectives, when it refers to
winnt.exe and winnt32.exe, go to your Help and Support Center, type those in
the search, and look over the command syntax and switches for those two.
Well, for any command that is covered in the chapter. Also, go to
Microsoft's KB on its website and look up subjects covering the different
installation methods.

I also picked up the MCSA/MCSE 70-270 Microsoft book, it is also by Glenn.
It also goes into installations of XP and just about everything else in the
MCDST. Study from both books at the same time. Well, study the chapter from
one and go to the other and study the chapter that corresponds to the first
book. This way you'll have comprehensive knowledge, and you can knock out
both the 70-270 and 70-271 exams.

Good luck!
-Micah
A+ Certified

"Scott RoLo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm ready for chapter 2 of the self-paced "Training Kit" by Glenn &
> Simpson:
> Installation of WinXP Pro (Evaluation) on my PC or Laptop. I would
> appreciate
> advice from the experienced. Both Compaq machines are relatively new with
> factory WinXP Home. Both exceed minimum hardware requirements. I have
> emergency start-up disks. I will back up my files and create a restore
> point.
> I use the desktop daily so am leaning toward using the laptop. What else?
> Should I partition a drive? What will happen when the evaluation period
> ends
> and what will I have to do to return to "normal"?
> Thanks in advance for your support.
> --
> Scott RoLo

MS MCDST TRAINING KIT 70-271 Angie MCDST 0 10-07-2005 07:21 PM
MCDST 70-271, Microsoft Training Kit -v- Exam Cram 2 from QUE M MCDST 1 06-12-2005 02:40 PM
MCDST Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-271) SteveH MCDST 3 03-24-2005 06:21 PM
training kit for MCDST Duminda MCDST 2 07-18-2004 09:05 PM
Delay on UK MCDST Training Kit Mark King MCDST 1 06-17-2004 01:36 PM

Advertisments