Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Exam 70-270 and 70-271

Exam 70-270 and 70-271

David.G

Is there a real difference in terms of content between Exam70-270 and 70-271
The first seems to be about Administering and Configure XP the second about
Support Maintain and Troubleshoot XP. In terms of content and emphasis does
anyone know the difference apart from the fact that they appear to be on
different qualification tracks. Grateful for any help here !
--
dg

Pavol Uhrin

Hello David,

I took both exams this month, 70.270 for the second time. The real
difference between these exams is sure. 271 is oriented into the supporting,
also what should you tell the customer he should do when he has a problem -
270 is about administering, also you are doing these tasks /Thats about
postulating the questions/
270 is the first step into the administering route - you should also
understand basics about services as DNS, DHCP, Active Directory, WINS ... and
how they are used in the network enviroment - especially in the WIN
XP/W2003Server networks including topology, you should understand
instalations - over network, by applying images, attended, unattended, using
UDF´s. You should be able to do almost every settings change in the win XP
and know the efect of that what you do.
271 is about troubleshooting these issues, you won´t probably get a
question about gpupdate, secedit command, but you should understand the
Security and configuration analysis tool, the most tasks are done in the
user-friendly interface, also you won´t probably say to the customer he
should run the ipconfig /renew command, but advice him to click on the
networking icon and then repair button under support tab. But now I don´t
wan´t to tell you now, that these things are not necessary for the exam, but
maybe it will show you a way when you will be preparing for some of these two
exams.
But i can tell you, when you will study hard for the 270, than pass it,
it will be easier for you to take 271 exam, you will understand the stuff
very well but you should then study only the logic of this exam, take some
preparation exams from measure-up or free assesments on the MS site.
When I did the 271 after my passed 270, I was very sceptic about my
answers because I have been searching a hidden trickery that was in some
questions in 270, but when you think about the question the one answer is
everytime the right one and you will be able to choose it.
I hope it was not too long for you, if you have a question, type it here,
i could probably answer it for you about these two exams.

--
Pavol Uhrin
MCP

"David.G" wrote:

> Is there a real difference in terms of content between Exam70-270 and 70-271
> The first seems to be about Administering and Configure XP the second about
> Support Maintain and Troubleshoot XP. In terms of content and emphasis does
> anyone know the difference apart from the fact that they appear to be on
> different qualification tracks. Grateful for any help here !
> --
> dg

David.G

Pavol
Many thanks for your useful and helpful reply.
Having read your message I think you have hit the nail on the head by
identifying the essential difference as one between adminitration of XP and
support of XP. This seems to reflect the essential difference between the two
seperate qualification tracks allocated to each exam ie 270 MCSA and 271
MCDST.
Would it be fair to say from this point of view that as MCDST is more an
entry level qualification than MCSA that 271 is in some respects more
straightforward than 270 in terms that it deals with support rather than the
deeper and more complex concents of adminstration/configuration
--
dg

"Pavol Uhrin" wrote:

> Hello David,
>
> I took both exams this month, 70.270 for the second time. The real
> difference between these exams is sure. 271 is oriented into the supporting,
> also what should you tell the customer he should do when he has a problem -
> 270 is about administering, also you are doing these tasks /Thats about
> postulating the questions/
> 270 is the first step into the administering route - you should also
> understand basics about services as DNS, DHCP, Active Directory, WINS ... and
> how they are used in the network enviroment - especially in the WIN
> XP/W2003Server networks including topology, you should understand
> instalations - over network, by applying images, attended, unattended, using
> UDF´s. You should be able to do almost every settings change in the win XP
> and know the efect of that what you do.
> 271 is about troubleshooting these issues, you won´t probably get a
> question about gpupdate, secedit command, but you should understand the
> Security and configuration analysis tool, the most tasks are done in the
> user-friendly interface, also you won´t probably say to the customer he
> should run the ipconfig /renew command, but advice him to click on the
> networking icon and then repair button under support tab. But now I don´t
> wan´t to tell you now, that these things are not necessary for the exam, but
> maybe it will show you a way when you will be preparing for some of these two
> exams.
> But i can tell you, when you will study hard for the 270, than pass it,
> it will be easier for you to take 271 exam, you will understand the stuff
> very well but you should then study only the logic of this exam, take some
> preparation exams from measure-up or free assesments on the MS site.
> When I did the 271 after my passed 270, I was very sceptic about my
> answers because I have been searching a hidden trickery that was in some
> questions in 270, but when you think about the question the one answer is
> everytime the right one and you will be able to choose it.
> I hope it was not too long for you, if you have a question, type it here,
> i could probably answer it for you about these two exams.
>
> --
> Pavol Uhrin
> MCP
>

> "David.G" wrote:
>
> > Is there a real difference in terms of content between Exam70-270 and 70-271
> > The first seems to be about Administering and Configure XP the second about
> > Support Maintain and Troubleshoot XP. In terms of content and emphasis does
> > anyone know the difference apart from the fact that they appear to be on
> > different qualification tracks. Grateful for any help here !
> > --
> > dg

Pavol Uhrin

Thanks,
You´re right with the entry-level qualification, but I would say that
this exam will also give the MCSAs the opportunity to wiev the technical
questions about resolving user problems in a different light. I also would
recomend everyone to read at least the prep. guide for the 70.271 or 272, I
think, it is well written.
From my experience, the company admins sometimes support user too, but
they are not using /forgive me for the expression/ "human-language" and users
sometimes don´t know what the hell the admin want´s from me ...
That´s only my oppinion, also admins don´t fell touched with this post.
Next thing I just want to say is, that the supportcan be done for admins
too, I mean now supporting company admins which use servers from some
manufacturer which offers helpdesk-service. This also means that for the
support-technic could also be interessted to obtain a higher qualification -
MCSA or further...
What do you mean ?
--
Pavol Uhrin
MCP

"David.G" wrote:

> [...]
> > MCP
> >

> > "David.G" wrote:
> >
> > > Is there a real difference in terms of content between Exam70-270 and 70-271
> > > The first seems to be about Administering and Configure XP the second about
> > > Support Maintain and Troubleshoot XP. In terms of content and emphasis does
> > > anyone know the difference apart from the fact that they appear to be on
> > > different qualification tracks. Grateful for any help here !
> > > --
> > > dg

Pavol Uhrin

Thanks,
You´re right with the entry-level qualification, but I would say that
this exam will also give the MCSAs the opportunity to wiev the technical
questions about resolving user problems in a different light. I also would
recomend everyone to read at least the prep. guide for the 70.271 or 272, I
From my experience, the company admins sometimes support user too, but

"David.G" wrote:

> [...]
> > answers because I have been searching a hidden trickery that was in some
> > questions in 270, but when you think about the question the one answer is
> > everytime the right one and you will be able to choose it.
> > I hope it was not too long for you, if you have a question, type it here,
> > i could probably answer it for you about these two exams.
> >
> > --
> > Pavol Uhrin
> > MCP
> >

> > "David.G" wrote:
> >
> > > Is there a real difference in terms of content between Exam70-270 and 70-271
> > > The first seems to be about Administering and Configure XP the second about
> > > Support Maintain and Troubleshoot XP. In terms of content and emphasis does
> > > anyone know the difference apart from the fact that they appear to be on
> > > different qualification tracks. Grateful for any help here !

- Bobb -

Has anyone tried to download this test ?
I download / installed the player then opened the course content screen and
select Download:
It asks / prompts me to save a file - 832 bytes - that's it .

https://www.microsoftelearning.com/e...?offerId=11583

I tried it from work today too - same thing - so not my PC.
Unless I need to download all required sw apps mentioned in help
If so , the are no pointers to download half of them

Anyone made this work yet ?

EJ

Try this link. FYI.., it took me almost 8 hours to download over dial-up.
https://www.microsoftelearning.com/e...rPriceId=54989

"- Bobb -" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Has anyone tried to download this test ?
> I download / installed the player then opened the course content screen

and
> select Download:
> It asks / prompts me to save a file - 832 bytes - that's it .

https://www.microsoftelearning.com/e...?offerId=11583

> I tried it from work today too - same thing - so not my PC.
> Unless I need to download all required sw apps mentioned in help
> If so , the are no pointers to download half of them
>
> Anyone made this work yet ?

- Bobb -

Tried that - failed too - same thing.
I install ed then eXML parse -same thing.
I then wen tinto IE and chnaged security settings to prompt (be default some
are disabled.
I then got a prompt when I clicked on DOWNLOAD .
It then did download 60mb (high speed took about 3 minutes)
Thanks

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...