Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Shared File

Shared File

dmiller

I am using a file server with Win Serv. 2003.
All the workstations have Win2K Pro.
On the file server there is a shared folder that everyone has write priv.
to.
It is intended for people to share files and remove them without filling up
this folder with a bunch of temp. crap. Is there a way I can create a pop up
to remind them to remove there files when done. I didn't know if I could
creat a pop up message for when they open that folder. Any help would be
appreciated.

Jason

If people are accessing the folder via a browser, you could write a java
script to accomplish this. However, not sure if ths would work using the
Windows Explorer utility native to the Windows environment. My exposure to
java scripts is limited, but I know that php accomplishes this on the server
side quite easily, so I am assuming the java side would work equally well.
Good luck!

"dmiller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am using a file server with Win Serv. 2003.
> All the workstations have Win2K Pro.
> On the file server there is a shared folder that everyone has write priv.
> to.
> It is intended for people to share files and remove them without filling
> up
> this folder with a bunch of temp. crap. Is there a way I can create a pop
> up
> to remind them to remove there files when done. I didn't know if I could
> creat a pop up message for when they open that folder. Any help would be
> appreciated.

Rome

you can do it the hard way by going to the "Manage your file server" mmc
snap in, and broadcast a message manually to all users connected to that
folder/s. i'm not a programmer so i couldn't tell you how to script

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...