Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Gettting started

Gettting started

Sean

hello everyone.

i have a few questions about getting started in Microsoft Certification
Programs. I do not work in the IT field but i am interested in doing so, i am
fairly proficiant with computers and basic trouble shooting(PC, Mac and
Linux) but what i am really interested in is learning Microsoft products, Mac
makes a very nice system but they are few and far between and Linux, well I
wont even get into Linux other than to say that people who think Linux is
going to take off with the masses is not grounded in reality. So as far as
getting into the IT field Microsoft is the obvious answer. My question is-
where does one start? i assume with the MCDST,correct? The other thing that
i have been confused about is the course itself and how it is administered. I
have found information that says its a 3 day instructer lead class and other
information that says you license software for 90 days(to study, i
presume)which i believe costs about $350 and then take a test at a authorized
testing center. Which is correct? or are they both correct and its up to you
which way to go? I realize that some classes will be intructor led but i
would like to start out at my own pace. I am sorry if this question gets
asked all the time but i would really appreciate some feedback on the best
way to get started.
Thanks,
Sean

Sean

Let me be even clearer, do i have to buy Microsoft's kit? can i i study on my
own and then register for the test? what is recomended? Oh and for any
elitests on this board, please dont bother with a reply.

"Sean" wrote:

> hello everyone.
>
> i have a few questions about getting started in Microsoft Certification
> Programs. I do not work in the IT field but i am interested in doing so, i am
> fairly proficiant with computers and basic trouble shooting(PC, Mac and
> Linux) but what i am really interested in is learning Microsoft products, Mac
> makes a very nice system but they are few and far between and Linux, well I
> wont even get into Linux other than to say that people who think Linux is
> going to take off with the masses is not grounded in reality. So as far as
> getting into the IT field Microsoft is the obvious answer. My question is-
> where does one start? i assume with the MCDST,correct? The other thing that
> i have been confused about is the course itself and how it is administered. I
> have found information that says its a 3 day instructer lead class and other
> information that says you license software for 90 days(to study, i
> presume)which i believe costs about $350 and then take a test at a authorized
> testing center. Which is correct? or are they both correct and its up to you
> which way to go? I realize that some classes will be intructor led but i
> would like to start out at my own pace. I am sorry if this question gets
> asked all the time but i would really appreciate some feedback on the best
> way to get started.
> Thanks,
> Sean

Wayne

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/

--

Wayne McGlinn
Brisbane, Oz

"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system
of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the
masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony"
- Dennis (sometime in the middle ages)

"Sean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hello everyone.
>
> i have a few questions about getting started in Microsoft Certification
> Programs. I do not work in the IT field but i am interested in doing so, i
> am
> fairly proficiant with computers and basic trouble shooting(PC, Mac and
> Linux) but what i am really interested in is learning Microsoft products,
> Mac
> makes a very nice system but they are few and far between and Linux, well
> wont even get into Linux other than to say that people who think Linux is
> going to take off with the masses is not grounded in reality. So as far as
> getting into the IT field Microsoft is the obvious answer. My question is-
> where does one start? i assume with the MCDST,correct? The other thing
> that
> i have been confused about is the course itself and how it is
> administered. I
> have found information that says its a 3 day instructer lead class and
> other
> information that says you license software for 90 days(to study, i
> presume)which i believe costs about $350 and then take a test at a
> authorized
> testing center. Which is correct? or are they both correct and its up to
> you
> which way to go? I realize that some classes will be intructor led but i
> would like to start out at my own pace. I am sorry if this question gets
> asked all the time but i would really appreciate some feedback on the best
> way to get started.
> Thanks,
> Sean

T-Bone

"Sean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> Oh and for any
> elitests on this board, please dont bother with a reply.

No elitests here. Just people tired of posters asking the same question over
and over again without trying to find the answers themselves.

> Let me be even clearer, do i have to buy Microsoft's kit? can i i study on

my
> own and then register for the test? what is recomended?

Do it whichever way you like. Some people recommend setting up a test lab at
home and learning that way. Others prefer classroom training. Or you can
just study the books on your own (for recommendations on which book is the
best, I would suggest you try google). In any case, there are no
prerequisites for taking the exam.

T-Bone
MCNGP XL