Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Test Engines/Study Guides

Test Engines/Study Guides

Devo

Hi,

I have been studying for the MCDST first exam 70-271 for
a good few months now .... have read the MS press and
Exam Cram 2 books and I'm using the test engines included
with those books.

But I've been looking for more study aids .... free test
questions and other tools to make sure I'm as ready as I
can be before I take the exam.

I downloaded what I thought were test engines from a file
sharing tool, though I'm not sure if they are just brain
dumps (this is my first certification attempt so I'm not
that familiar with the term!)as they are by a company
called 'actual test' ....

Are these the actual questions that are in the exam or
just practise quetions, like the measureup sort? (though
I guess the must be changed regularly anyway?) ... if so
I will cease using them as I'd rather pass fairly (after
I've studied so hard!) ... I've only read the first page
of questions so far, and I was getting them right anyway.

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers,

Dan - UK

todd

i can say from my only experience with the comptia
network+ examination that a lot of the sample questions
were in fact test questions word for word. im not sure
if the microsoft sample questions are the same but i
would bet they are.

also how well do you feel you know the core information
after reading the microsoft book?

peace,
todd

I'd recommend both books, though they are both quite
different in style.

It was the first MS Press book I've read and as it's for
an MS exam it's useful to know the way they think, as in
my opinion it not always the way it would work in the
real world of IT but thats not relevant in the test
marking!

I feel I now have a good core knowledge, but I've got
quite a bit of support experience anyway.

The only thing that it tricky is remembering precise
details, like exactly what menu an option is in and
exactly what advanced permissions different permissions
consist of.

/Dan

John O

> Are these the actual questions that are in the exam or
> just practise quetions, like the measureup sort? (though
> I guess the must be changed regularly anyway?) ... if so
> I will cease using them as I'd rather pass fairly (after
> I've studied so hard!) ... I've only read the first page
> of questions so far, and I was getting them right anyway.

Some places try to reproduce the actual questions, or at least an
interpretation of the real questions. The danger is that you'll study these,
maybe even accept their answer suggestion, and they'll be wrong. Also, they
may not have copied the question properly, and when you see the actual
question it is different in some substantial way. On top of all that, this
creates an ethics issue, and you have to resolve that yourself.

-John O