Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Remote Desktop Query

Remote Desktop Query

Mick

Hi,

I am studying for MCDST (1st Exam next week!) and have a
query about Remote Desktop. I set it up on my home
network (1 XP Pro Laptop and 1 XP Pro PC) and it worked
beautifully first time!

I now want to try this at my workplace from home. The
thing is, from home I will need to put in my IP address
of my PC at the office. However its IP will not be seen
on the internet if that makes sense, because we have a
proxy server. So I figure I should put the public IP
address of the proxy server in, but if I do that, how
does it know that I want to go from home through the
proxy to my PC on the office network??

How does this bit work?? And does this mean that because
Remote Desktop uses port 3389 that only one Remote
Desktop connection can occur through the proxy at any one
time?

*SO CONFUSED*

CrushesBeforeItCuts

> How does this bit work?? And does this mean that because
> Remote Desktop uses port 3389 that only one Remote
> Desktop connection can occur through the proxy at any one
> time?
>
> *SO CONFUSED*

You need to forward port 3389 to the ip of the pc you want to connect with
inside your domain. If you want to access different pc's you could use a
product like VNC.
--
MCNGP #38
Link to the product removed to confuse the N00bs