Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > EFS

Shaun

Am I correct in saying that if EFS is enabled on a folder
on windows XP pro and the folder is copyied to a XP home
machine you will be able to view the files?

Wayne McGlinn

Yes and No. The File Encryption Key (FEK) is encrypted with the users public
key. To decrypt a file, the users private key is needed. This private key is
generated and stored on the local pc. If you copy a file from one pc to
another, a dialogue box will tell you this file will not retain its
encryption. Check below for details.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...y/cryptfs.mspx
--
Wayne McGlinn
Brisbane, Oz

"Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a
system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from
the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony"
- Dennis

news:0dc801c4e378$946d0590$(E-Mail Removed)...

EFS =?Utf-8?B?bTByaw==?= MCSE 48 03-03-2006 08:47 PM
EFS Question Barry Watzman Microsoft Certification 0 04-12-2005 02:37 AM
EFS and SP2 =?Utf-8?B?TWFydGluYQ==?= Microsoft Certification 2 03-05-2005 04:35 AM
EFS and the domain Nettransplant MCSE 4 11-30-2003 11:09 PM
EFS security Bay MCSE 9 10-21-2003 07:58 PM

Advertisments