Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Why A+ Software when MCDST is out now?

Why A+ Software when MCDST is out now?

T Monaghan

Hello,

I have the A+ comptia Hardware certification, and about to
seat on the MCDST exams.
What is the point in seating for the A+ Comptia Software
when MCDST is a more complete certificate?

Cheers,

Trevor M

Doom

"T Monaghan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:12da01c4dec0$f8d9d8d0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I have the A+ comptia Hardware certification, and about to
> seat on the MCDST exams.
> What is the point in seating for the A+ Comptia Software
> when MCDST is a more complete certificate?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Trevor M

I think you should research the difference between the 2 certs.

Trevor M

I can see the difference, and I think there is no real need
to spend money to seat that certificate...
Comptia should really update its content to reflect the
evolotion of OSs from today...

Jason

Um...they have.

A+ Software side now includes XP Home, Xp Pro, Linux and Unix questions,
hence the vendor neutral status
A+ Hardware side now includes many previously unavailable technologies
including:

USB installation, troubelshooting and functionality
DDR Memory
EIDE versus SATA drive installation and troubleshooting
AMD versus Pentium setup and troubleshooting
Wireless setup and troubleshooting

"Trevor M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:048201c4dec4$76d603f0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I can see the difference, and I think there is no real need
> to spend money to seat that certificate...
> Comptia should really update its content to reflect the
> evolotion of OSs from today...

John O

"Jason" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Um...they have.
>
> A+ Software side now includes XP Home, Xp Pro, Linux and Unix questions,
> hence the vendor neutral status

<I just located this NG, and I'm reviewing the last 300 messages...>

This is incorrect. There is NO Linux/Unix on the A+ OS exam. And to the OP's
point, the reason the older OS's are covered is because they are still
widely used in many corporate environments. MCDST focuses exclusively on the
latest MS OS, where A+ looks at a wider swath. The people that create the
objectives and questions cover an extremely wide range of the IT industry.

-John O