Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Hands on classes vs. Study Material

Hands on classes vs. Study Material

Richard H

Hi,

Can anyone give me some advice on taking the week-long set of classes for
MCDST versus just studying the material on my own? I have been
troubleshooting desktops and some networking for 3.5 years with that being an
average of %15 of my workday. I have reviewed both course topics and I feel
pretty confident with most of the topics so I would be filling in some gaps.
What I don't know would probably be easy to pick up. I really want to get my
career moving quickly and don't want the study for this exam to get drawn
out. I can devote 5 to 7 hours per week to study.

For someone at my level, is paying $2000+ for the hand-on course really
providing that much value over studying the material? I would be willing to
pay for the course if it was really worth it. I need to make a decision in
the next week. Thanks very much to anyone with advice.

Best,

Richard

Wayne

As long as you are sure you understand the objectives at
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-271.asp and
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-272.asp and you've tried the
sample exam questions those sites reference then give it a go
Also try http://assessment.learning.microsoft.com/test/home.asp and see what
the result is.

Good luck,

Wayne McGlinn
Brisbane, Oz
MCDST

"Richard H" <Richard http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone give me some advice on taking the week-long set of classes for
> MCDST versus just studying the material on my own? I have been
> troubleshooting desktops and some networking for 3.5 years with that being
> an
> average of %15 of my workday. I have reviewed both course topics and I
> feel
> pretty confident with most of the topics so I would be filling in some
> gaps.
> What I don't know would probably be easy to pick up. I really want to get
> my
> career moving quickly and don't want the study for this exam to get drawn
> out. I can devote 5 to 7 hours per week to study.
>
> For someone at my level, is paying $2000+ for the hand-on course really
> providing that much value over studying the material? I would be willing
> pay for the course if it was really worth it. I need to make a decision
> in
> the next week. Thanks very much to anyone with advice.
>
> Best,
>
> Richard

Jason

Richard,

Your question seems to be one of the most common on this forum whether
others are asking it as directly as you are or not. The value of training
cannot be under or overstated, because learning is different for everyone.
That said, there are some general observations that can be made about the
value of different learning methods and techniques. Having been both a
student and a teacher, I find that experience is often the best educator,
both personally and professionally. Someone can show me something or
explain something to me, but uintil I do it myself a few times, it doesn't
really sink in.

Thus, the question is: what is the value of "filling in the gaps", as you
say. The answer will depend on answering another question. If you desire
to fill the gaps to pass the exam, the value is minimal because it sounds
like you are almost (if not already) at the point of passing. If your
desire to fill the gaps is to expand your own breadth and depth of knowledge
as well as to contribute toward your future success in the IT industry, then
the value of "filling the gaps" increases. This holds true for anyone
wanting to sit the exam.

From a personal perspecitve, it seems like you are quite literally there,
if not already. Take an assessment exam available at:
http://assessment.learning.microsoft.com/test/home.asp and buy a study guide
to read through and fill whatever gaps you can that way. Then, just sit an
exam. If you do not pass, take advantage of the money spent and look at the
areas of weakness, and focus heavily on that or those areas in the study
guide. It also does not hurt to read through the XP resource guide
available at:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...k_overview.asp

It's not the best book to read for enjoyment, but if you read that entire
piece you are virtually guaranteed of passing at least 271, and pretty close
to 272 as well. Best of luck and keep us posted on your successes!

Jason

"Richard H" <Richard (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone give me some advice on taking the week-long set of classes for
> MCDST versus just studying the material on my own? I have been
> troubleshooting desktops and some networking for 3.5 years with that being

an
> average of %15 of my workday. I have reviewed both course topics and I

feel
> pretty confident with most of the topics so I would be filling in some

gaps.
> What I don't know would probably be easy to pick up. I really want to get

my
> career moving quickly and don't want the study for this exam to get drawn
> out. I can devote 5 to 7 hours per week to study.
>
> For someone at my level, is paying $2000+ for the hand-on course really
> providing that much value over studying the material? I would be willing

> pay for the course if it was really worth it. I need to make a decision

in
> the next week. Thanks very much to anyone with advice.
>
> Best,
>
> Richard

Jason

Forgot, MS has also put out some free elearning tools that can help, located
at:
https://www.microsoftelearning.com/e...?offerId=11583

"Richard H" <Richard (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone give me some advice on taking the week-long set of classes for
> MCDST versus just studying the material on my own? I have been
> troubleshooting desktops and some networking for 3.5 years with that being

an
> average of %15 of my workday. I have reviewed both course topics and I

feel
> pretty confident with most of the topics so I would be filling in some

gaps.
> What I don't know would probably be easy to pick up. I really want to get

my
> career moving quickly and don't want the study for this exam to get drawn
> out. I can devote 5 to 7 hours per week to study.
>
> For someone at my level, is paying $2000+ for the hand-on course really
> providing that much value over studying the material? I would be willing

> pay for the course if it was really worth it. I need to make a decision

in
> the next week. Thanks very much to anyone with advice.
>
> Best,
>
> Richard

starrynight

Dear all,
This is a good topic of conversation. I think whether you pass or not
depends on the type of person you are, combined with experience either on
the job already or experience on your own computer. I don't have a job as a
helpdesk technician, I'm a designer. However I have been taking courses at
my local college and have been reading tons of books and doing a lot of
practices on the internet. I really think it's a matter of how much time and
effort you spend reading, memorizing and practicing, all combined. I don't
have experience on a domain but I feel the few courses I have taken have
prepared me enough to pass these 2 exams. It really depends on a lot of
different variables. I wish each and every one of you good luck.
-starrynight

"Richard H" <Richard (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone give me some advice on taking the week-long set of classes for
> MCDST versus just studying the material on my own? I have been
> troubleshooting desktops and some networking for 3.5 years with that being
> an
> average of %15 of my workday. I have reviewed both course topics and I
> feel
> pretty confident with most of the topics so I would be filling in some
> gaps.
> What I don't know would probably be easy to pick up. I really want to get
> my
> career moving quickly and don't want the study for this exam to get drawn
> out. I can devote 5 to 7 hours per week to study.
>
> For someone at my level, is paying $2000+ for the hand-on course really
> providing that much value over studying the material? I would be willing
> pay for the course if it was really worth it. I need to make a decision
> in
> the next week. Thanks very much to anyone with advice.
>
> Best,
>
> Richard

Roger Courtney

Jason, you're a class act! Nice answers, very straightforward. Wish others
were as helpfull.

Roger

joe

I see helpful answers that I can use to determine what
route to take > Hands on classes or Study Material.

I don't have any experience other than personal computer
knowledge. Will I find any problems studying the materials
on my own to seat for the exam? Thank you!

An intense course is best for you and anyone like you. The
Training Camp would be a good start.