Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Real world troubleshooting problem

Real world troubleshooting problem

James T

OK here's a support problem I had yesterday.

A user reported having no task bar or desktop icons on
startup. Investigation confirmed that the problem wasn't
going away! I tried a repair installation of Windows (2000
Pro) to no avail.

I then searched microsoft support using terms like 'no
desktop' and found several articles reporting similar
symptoms, but none of the circumstances matched and the
solutions didn't help.

I then gave up and re-installed everything from an image
file previously created using Norton Ghost.

Problem solved (of course) but it took me several hours.
Would you have approached this problem differently? Did I
miss any more profitable lines of inquiry?

James
(Working and studying for MCDST)

RJG

A corrupt profile can cause this to happen especially on a network

news:33f601c4c31c$72a31ed0$(E-Mail Removed)...