Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Books, Courses or Both ?

Books, Courses or Both ?

TJ

Hi All,

I've got 10 years IT experience and was thinking about doing MCDST to
validate my XP knowledge and plug any gaps. Can I do this with just the MS
self pace materials or do I need to do intructor lead courses as well?

TIA

TJ

eplfan

I would say you should be okay without a course, I have been support users
for about 3 years and I used the exam cram 2 books to read and get an idea of
what is expected, and anything I did not have experience with or get I
searched out on my own.
Then I bought test guestions online and tested my self and vola a 784, not
great but a pass is a pass

"TJ" wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've got 10 years IT experience and was thinking about doing MCDST to
> validate my XP knowledge and plug any gaps. Can I do this with just the MS
> self pace materials or do I need to do intructor lead courses as well?
>
> TIA
>
> TJ

Anna

Sorry, but if you have 10 years of experience why do you
ask that question? what kind of IT experience do you have?

T-Bone

"TJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> I've got 10 years IT experience and was thinking about doing MCDST to
> validate my XP knowledge and plug any gaps. Can I do this with just the MS
> self pace materials or do I need to do intructor lead courses as well?

I'd say if you have 10 years of IT, you might not need to do anything at
all. However, you might be better off to look at MCSA or MCSE depending on
your job requirements.

T-Bone
MCNGP XL

SJ

If your 10 years of IT experience is with Unix, you'd be better off
taking some instructor lead courses.

If you've been doing help desk support for Microsoft products for 10
years, you probably can do a search on Amazon or Bookpool for mcdst,
purchase a few books and pass the two tests.

Then again, if you've been doing help desk support for Microsoft
products for 10 years, you may be in a rut. MCDST is considered to be
an entry level certification and more experienced IT personnel go for
MCSA and MCSE to elevate their knowledge, standing, and salaries.

sj
www.certquest.net

"TJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hi All,
>
> I've got 10 years IT experience and was thinking about doing MCDST to
> validate my XP knowledge and plug any gaps. Can I do this with just the MS
> self pace materials or do I need to do intructor lead courses as well?
>
> TIA
>
> TJ

TJ

Thanks to all for your feedback.

TJ

"TJ" wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've got 10 years IT experience and was thinking about doing MCDST to
> validate my XP knowledge and plug any gaps. Can I do this with just the MS
> self pace materials or do I need to do intructor lead courses as well?
>
> TIA
>
> TJ

I'd say the reason you would need it would be due to recruiters that don't
know any better. I've run in to a few recruiters that are looking for either
someone with either that is a MCDST or MCSE or both, even though they are
worlds apart. Somehow they were given that requirement without knowing why.
When they run through their searches they only pull those with that
particular certification. I hardly ever see a requirement for an MCSA.

news:Ok%(E-Mail Removed)...
> "TJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> I've got 10 years IT experience and was thinking about doing MCDST to
>> validate my XP knowledge and plug any gaps. Can I do this with just the
>> MS
>> self pace materials or do I need to do intructor lead courses as well?

> I'd say if you have 10 years of IT, you might not need to do anything at
> all. However, you might be better off to look at MCSA or MCSE depending on
> your job requirements.
>
> T-Bone
> MCNGP XL

compilation error: file exists in both in both 'c:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727 ABCL ASP .Net 0 05-29-2008 04:59 PM
2 computers, both online, both invisible to each other ? b Computer Support 9 04-21-2006 04:06 AM
Web Based Cisco Courses Bill F Cisco 1 09-21-2004 11:02 AM
How do I access the Training courses for Office XP? Melissa Whitehead Microsoft Certification 1 08-04-2004 07:22 AM
courses cd's marfado Microsoft Certification 1 04-22-2004 04:42 AM

Advertisments