Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > A good one to start with.,.,,,

Reply
Thread Tools

A good one to start with.,.,,,

 
 
Jenna
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2004
Hi all, I was wondering which course to start with? I
have the basics of working a computer such as, scan disk,
disc defrag., device manager, desktop, finding files and
folders, etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,
Jenna
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2004
I have another question, is it better to take a class or
study on your own from books at home? Jenna




>-----Original Message-----
>Jenna, it sounds like you have a solid foundation. I

would recommend
>studying for and getting an A+ certification first.

It'll really help you
>get your chops for an MCDST. Some posters to this forum

make it look easy,
>but they have much more experience than you purport to

have. After the A+,
>you have a good chance at the 70-271 or 70-272 as long

as you study carefully
>and well.
>
>Even though MCDST is Microsoft's lowest designation

above MCP, it is still
>difficult; if it were easy in any way, it would not mean

anything to those
>others who have it, or to those who would employ you.
>
>Good luck!
>
>"Jenna" wrote:
>
>> Hi all, I was wondering which course to start with? I
>> have the basics of working a computer such as, scan

disk,
>> disc defrag., device manager, desktop, finding files

and
>> folders, etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,
>> Jenna
>>

>.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jenna
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2004
Thanks for all your help. Did you study at home or take
a class? Jenna




>-----Original Message-----
>I think you already know the answer; it depends on your

learning style.
>Self- study definitely costs less, but if you lack

comprehensive real-world
>experience, you should buy more than one self-study

guide or book, and
>definitely make sure you buy a set of practice exam

questions from
>Transcender or MeasureUp.
>
>"(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:
>
>> I have another question, is it better to take a class

or
>> study on your own from books at home? Jenna
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> >-----Original Message-----
>> >Jenna, it sounds like you have a solid foundation. I

>> would recommend
>> >studying for and getting an A+ certification first.

>> It'll really help you
>> >get your chops for an MCDST. Some posters to this

forum
>> make it look easy,
>> >but they have much more experience than you purport

to
>> have. After the A+,
>> >you have a good chance at the 70-271 or 70-272 as

long
>> as you study carefully
>> >and well.
>> >
>> >Even though MCDST is Microsoft's lowest designation

>> above MCP, it is still
>> >difficult; if it were easy in any way, it would not

mean
>> anything to those
>> >others who have it, or to those who would employ you.
>> >
>> >Good luck!
>> >
>> >"Jenna" wrote:
>> >
>> >> Hi all, I was wondering which course to start

with? I
>> >> have the basics of working a computer such as, scan

>> disk,
>> >> disc defrag., device manager, desktop, finding

files
>> and
>> >> folders, etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
>> >> Jenna
>> >>
>> >.
>> >

>>

>.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2004
Wow, thanks for that advice. I know it will be hard work
and take time to get to where I wanna be. But I'm
determined to get there or atleast somewhere. Good luck
with your second test. Take care, Jenna




>-----Original Message-----
>I studied at home. I bought the MS Press books for both

exams- I haven't
>taken the second one for MCDST yet. What I found is

that even by reading the
>books and by taking the practice tests, you still need

some practical
>experience. I worked for 3 years as a system

administrator, and still found
>some questions to be surprising.
>
>I think that it's fair to say that Windows XP has a lot

of features that the
>casual user is not aware of. The basic skills you

described in your first
>post barely scratch the surface of what you need to know

to pass the exam, so
>if you study at home, I would recommend at the very

least to purchase the MS
>Press books for 70-271 and 70-272 and the Transcender

tests (about $120 each)
>to prepare.
>
>Personally, I did not think I'd learn enough for the

money I would spend in
>a classroom environment, but every learner is different.
>
>"Jenna" wrote:
>
>> Thanks for all your help. Did you study at home or

take
>> a class? Jenna

>
>.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Charles
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-08-2004
Jenna he's right about hard core "MCP's" and in a way I'm
kinda one of them as I debated for couple months now if
its really worth my while taking it since I was already
A+, Network+, MCP & MCSA 2000 certified and a network
administrator for the past 5 of my 10 yrs in IT. But I
enjoy desktop support (yep, we do it all including wiring,
testing, phones, pbx, wirless lan's, VoIP (voice over IP),
etc for a small local govt agency.

I'm also working on my CCNA, MCSA 2003 Upgrade, MCSE 2000
+ Security then upgrade to MCSA 2003 + Security among
other things.

I took the MCDST exams both on the same morning and while
it wasn't pretty, I passed both of them easy enough
without studying for it but I was surprised by the number
of Office 2003 features questions but if you look at the
questions, most were common sense types although quite a
few were from my own partical experience of the 2 weeks
prior to the exam of doing our own Office 2003 rollouts
and assisting users with some of the new features (which I
had to learn on the fly).

I'll also say something else while I'm at it and
PoppinFresh hasn't said yet. Do not be tempted by "brain
dumps" as it'll do nothing to help you understand the
concepts and I probably spend almost half of my paycheck
on computer related equipment or software (good thing my
wife has a good job). One of these days I'll instead spend
it on my fishing vacation - EXTENDED length when I
retire for the 2nd time (currently a retired narcotics
investigator & police dog trainer after 24yrs).

I probably agree with PoppinFresh though about getting the
A+ first, as it'll give you the basis for learning and a
lot of companies require it as a basis for entry level
employment along with MCP (yes, the MCDST will also give
you MCP but you may want to do 70-210 or 70-270 first).
There are currently discount vouchers available for the A+
and I think VUE has a promotion going on as well.
(www.vue.com)

either way, good luck. There are a lot of certified people
with experience who are out of work, but keep this in
mind, people skills will often win out over an experienced
person who may have bad people skills (aka attitude).
Nothing is worse than a person who's suppose to be helping
but only aggravate the person worse with a flipant
attitude or demeanor which could generate a complaint. Get
enough of them or the wrong kind of complaint and you'll
soon be looking for other work. Remember that the end user
is your lifeline to employment regardless of
how "clueless" that person may be regarding computers &
software. It's your job to help them succeed in their job.
(barring deliberate acts - there are those like that in
the real world too - in that case like all cases,
documentation in detail will help you in the long run).
>-----Original Message-----
>Wow, thanks for that advice. I know it will be hard work
>and take time to get to where I wanna be. But I'm
>determined to get there or atleast somewhere. Good luck
>with your second test. Take care, Jenna
>
>
>
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>I studied at home. I bought the MS Press books for both

>exams- I haven't
>>taken the second one for MCDST yet. What I found is

>that even by reading the
>>books and by taking the practice tests, you still need

>some practical
>>experience. I worked for 3 years as a system

>administrator, and still found
>>some questions to be surprising.
>>
>>I think that it's fair to say that Windows XP has a lot

>of features that the
>>casual user is not aware of. The basic skills you

>described in your first
>>post barely scratch the surface of what you need to know

>to pass the exam, so
>>if you study at home, I would recommend at the very

>least to purchase the MS
>>Press books for 70-271 and 70-272 and the Transcender

>tests (about $120 each)
>>to prepare.
>>
>>Personally, I did not think I'd learn enough for the

>money I would spend in
>>a classroom environment, but every learner is different.
>>
>>"Jenna" wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for all your help. Did you study at home or

>take
>>> a class? Jenna

>>
>>.
>>

>.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-11-2004

>-----Original Message-----
>Hi all, I was wondering which course to start with? I
>have the basics of working a computer such as, scan disk,
>disc defrag., device manager, desktop, finding files and
>folders, etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,
>Jenna
>.
>


A+
 
Reply With Quote
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-11-2004

>-----Original Message-----
>Hi all, I was wondering which course to start with? I
>have the basics of working a computer such as, scan disk,
>disc defrag., device manager, desktop, finding files and
>folders, etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,
>Jenna
>.
>


A+
 
Reply With Quote
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-11-2004

>-----Original Message-----
>Hi all, I was wondering which course to start with? I
>have the basics of working a computer such as, scan disk,
>disc defrag., device manager, desktop, finding files and
>folders, etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,
>Jenna
>.
>


A+
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
start a new JFrame from an existing one, and when old JFrame closes new one does not jakester Java 3 04-02-2007 11:13 PM
any good idea about Update many records in one page, one batch Edward ASP .Net 1 06-10-2004 09:30 AM
CSS aligning two things on one line with one left and one right news.frontiernet.net HTML 6 04-16-2004 02:44 AM
Using One XSLT and multiple XML Problem (One is XML and another one is XBRL) loveNUNO XML 2 11-20-2003 06:47 AM
Not even a newbee. Good at school course. please advise good start sikka noel C++ 8 08-05-2003 06:43 AM



Advertisments