Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Hard Practice Exams???

Hard Practice Exams???

Frank

I've been using Windows Xp for over a year now on a daily basis. I've also
had a summer internship at a fairly large company working desktop support
for the building. I've also run support for an entire year in people dorm
rooms for the school I attend.

Anyway, I'm not a dumbass, and I keep failing the tests that came with the
Microsoft book for 271 and 272. The questions are so detailed and in the
real world no one is expected to have the answers for this weird crap. When
people present me with a problem I use my own machine to figure out what the
answer is and I tell them. I've never had to support blind people and
they're asking questions like that.

I really want to know if the practice tests that came on the accompanying cd
paint a good picture of what the test is actually like? Is it easier than
these practice tests? Are you allowed to use windows xp while you take the
test?

At first I just thought I wasn't paying enough attention to detail in these
books, but I've re-read the chapters that seem to be my weak points and I
still can't get the questions 100 percent right.

The questions that ask you to do something and give the steps in the correct
order are killers. Especially when you know that you aren't going to use
all of them.

Thanks for your feedback in advance.....
Frank

Robert Boesen

I found the tests that came with the 272 book harder than the test itself.
Like you I was unable to get 100% on the
practice tests but I still passes both exams. A lot of times if you take
your time and don't rush through the test
I have found that some of the questions are common sense. If you have the
experience then chances are you
will not have any problems.
"Frank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eog$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been using Windows Xp for over a year now on a daily basis. I've
> also
> had a summer internship at a fairly large company working desktop support
> for the building. I've also run support for an entire year in people dorm
> rooms for the school I attend.
>
> Anyway, I'm not a dumbass, and I keep failing the tests that came with the
> Microsoft book for 271 and 272. The questions are so detailed and in the
> real world no one is expected to have the answers for this weird crap.
> When
> people present me with a problem I use my own machine to figure out what
> the
> answer is and I tell them. I've never had to support blind people and
> they're asking questions like that.
>
> I really want to know if the practice tests that came on the accompanying
> cd
> paint a good picture of what the test is actually like? Is it easier than
> these practice tests? Are you allowed to use windows xp while you take
> the
> test?
>
> At first I just thought I wasn't paying enough attention to detail in
> these
> books, but I've re-read the chapters that seem to be my weak points and I
> still can't get the questions 100 percent right.
>
> The questions that ask you to do something and give the steps in the
> correct
> order are killers. Especially when you know that you aren't going to use
> all of them.
>
> Thanks for your feedback in advance.....
> Frank

mukaila hassan

Frank,

I found the 300 sample questions on the CD difficult also
but I used the study mode and after taking themn 2-3 times
I got to the point where I understood the questions and I
was able to answer them correctly. Now I've heard people
post on this newsgroup that the test was easier than the
questions in the book. I personally did not find that to
be the case. I was able to ace the 125 objective-by
objective questions and the additional 300 sample questions
prior to taking the test and I found neither really helped
me on the test itself. I think hands on experience is best
for preparing for these exams. I would still try to ace
the practice exams as they will help you learn to think
through the problems and this will help you on the test. I
did pass but I felt I was not as prepared as I would like
to have been. Next test I will purchase the Transcender
practice exams as I feel they are a better at preparing you
for these types of exams. Hope this helps.
Feral Geek

Charles

Well I don't know about the books, I just went and took
both exams on a Monday morning and passed both of them
without a problem. I was surprised by the Office 2003
configuration questions, but it wasn't really a biggie
since most were common sense questions and like you I
don't support blind people, however I do support a few
managers who like the text readback and entering text via
voice mode (microphone) although they do have to train it
first, but I was surprised how well it works eventually.

I didn't study anything but had ordered a book and after a
month of backorder just cancelled it and took the exams as
I've got other fish to fry (CCNA, MCSA 2003 Upgrade,
Security exams, CISSP, etc) but I love doing desktop
support even though I've been a network admin for the past
5 of my last 10 yrs of experience.

I don't know why you keep failing the practice exams
(didn't do those either), but questions in the right order
isn't a biggie either, either you've done it or you
haven't. It's my opinion that experience does count on
this exam, but so does common sense and a logical approach
to problem solving. I've been working with MS Office
Suites & Lotus Suites since the early 90's, haven't seen a
whole lot of changes during that time other than maybe
feature sets (like speach & language settings) and to this
day I still hate setting up laptops for those going
overseas or those that deal with international clients,
etc.

Just schedule a real exam and do it, you'll think hard
(usually your first instinct is correct) but just
eliminate the obvious wrong answer and your chances at
success is better. Otherwise you'd just hold back and
never take the exam. I've yet to study for any exam I've
taken (except the CCNA which I've failed twice now), but
passed all the MS exams just on experience (except 70-214
beta - that was tough and no clue how bad off I was).

Good luck.