Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Calling all MCDST's...

Calling all MCDST's...

Minkabelle22

Hi all,

I'm considering sitting the MCDST test and would like to speak to
others who are already accredited, especially other Australians.
Mainly want to discuss what resources you used to study, etc. Email me
at http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (remove NOSPAM). Thanks.

Ciao

MB

TBone

"Minkabelle22" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> I'm considering sitting the MCDST test and would like to speak to
> others who are already accredited, especially other Australians.
> Mainly want to discuss what resources you used to study, etc. Email me
> at (E-Mail Removed) (remove NOSPAM). Thanks.

Why email privately? This forum should cover exactly what you are asking
for. Why not post here so everyone can discuss it? In fact to save you time,
many answers to your questions can probably be found be googling this very
group.

Minkabelle22

Thanks T-Bone. I've already googled for information on this topic but
didn't really find what I was after. I would prefer to hear it from
others who have done the course.

OK, all MCDST's, feel free to post to this NG...

MB

"TBone" <reply2me@thenewsgroup> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "Minkabelle22" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> > I'm considering sitting the MCDST test and would like to speak to
> > others who are already accredited, especially other Australians.
> > Mainly want to discuss what resources you used to study, etc. Email me
> > at (E-Mail Removed) (remove NOSPAM). Thanks.

> Why email privately? This forum should cover exactly what you are asking
> for. Why not post here so everyone can discuss it? In fact to save you time,
> many answers to your questions can probably be found be googling this very
> group.

Rob

I used several resources to study for this test. For 271
I attended the MOC course and found it to be informative
and good source of information. After that and since
none of the books had been written for this test I used
the Sybex study guide for the 70-270 test. It brought it
all together, and closed it with the measure up for
Windows XP. Because of this I took both the 270 and 271
the same day and passed.

For the 272 test I also attended the MOC course and found
it to also be good information. However to bring it all
together I used two different books the exam cram book
and the MS press book. I read the MS press book first
and did all the hands on labs and if any questions could
not be answered there I referred to the Office 2003
resource kit or the MS knowledge base. Then the week
before the test I studied the Exam Cram book. The
weekend before the test and through out my study I used
the measure up software to help to study.

For both tests I used Virtual PC to give me extra hands
on with all the material. Since I currently run a help
desk my end users provided me the best source of study
material.

Out of all the sources I used the books and experience
was my best source. The MOC course were good but they
did not provide me much in the way of 271, however 272
was of good value. Especially when it came to outlook
express since I don't use it at work or home.

I hope this is useful to you.

Rob

Minkabelle22

Thanks heaps Rob. Due to my remote location, I'm not going to be able
to attend any of the Instructor-led courses offered in my state. I'm
rather interested in the Exam Cram books and I have come across a
package, MCDST 70-271 &70-272 Exam Cram 2 Bundle, which looks rather
interesting. Does it concentrate mainly on what the questions are
about?

I've had a little over 10 years experience with computers and have
been using Windows XP since 'day dot' so I have a little experience in
that area already.

Anyway, can anyone recommend this particular publication to study for
70-271 & 70-271?

MB

"Rob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<3cdb01c48fbd$800dde80$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> I used several resources to study for this test. For 271
> I attended the MOC course and found it to be informative
> and good source of information. After that and since
> none of the books had been written for this test I used
> the Sybex study guide for the 70-270 test. It brought it
> all together, and closed it with the measure up for
> Windows XP. Because of this I took both the 270 and 271
> the same day and passed.
>
> For the 272 test I also attended the MOC course and found
> it to also be good information. However to bring it all
> together I used two different books the exam cram book
> and the MS press book. I read the MS press book first
> and did all the hands on labs and if any questions could
> not be answered there I referred to the Office 2003
> resource kit or the MS knowledge base. Then the week
> before the test I studied the Exam Cram book. The
> weekend before the test and through out my study I used
> the measure up software to help to study.
>
> For both tests I used Virtual PC to give me extra hands
> on with all the material. Since I currently run a help
> desk my end users provided me the best source of study
> material.
>
> Out of all the sources I used the books and experience
> was my best source. The MOC course were good but they
> did not provide me much in the way of 271, however 272
> was of good value. Especially when it came to outlook
> express since I don't use it at work or home.
>
> I hope this is useful to you.
>
> Rob

DS

(E-Mail Removed) (Minkabelle22) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Thanks heaps Rob. Due to my remote location, I'm not going to be able
> to attend any of the Instructor-led courses offered in my state. I'm
> rather interested in the Exam Cram books and I have come across a
> package, MCDST 70-271 &70-272 Exam Cram 2 Bundle, which looks rather
> interesting. Does it concentrate mainly on what the questions are
> about?
>
> I've had a little over 10 years experience with computers and have
> been using Windows XP since 'day dot' so I have a little experience in
> that area already.
>
> Anyway, can anyone recommend this particular publication to study for
> 70-271 & 70-271?
>
> MB

Minkabelle,

I am in the same boat. I need to go back to work after many years off
raising a family, and am an old-timer computer geek. I saw that book
package you are referring to on Amazon just now and was wondering
about it myself, as there are no reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg.../-/0789731568/

I think it is a bundle of these two books, altho the title is slightly
different on the 70-271 book. There are reviews posted on these books:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg.../-/0789731495/
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg.../-/0789731509/

Each of these shows an accompanying CD by MeasureUp. The bundle of the
two does not note that there are any accompanying CDs. The entry on
the ExamCram2 web site also does not mention CDs:

http://www.examcram2.com/title/0789731568

Cheers,
DS

DS

OK, I just ordered a copy of this off Amazon Marketplace (new copy +
shipping = less than Amazon):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg.../-/0735619743/

I'll study that over the next month or so (am working on my MOS
certification, too), then will sign up for either the measureup.com or
the transcencer.com practice exams:

http://www.transcender.com/products/...?sku=PFMCD0100 (try the
demo)

http://measureup.com/Cart/moreproduc...ls&Prodid=1342

The Transcender exams are pricier, but I've read really good reviews
of them here on the Usenet.