Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > "unsecurted network"?

"unsecurted network"?

=?Utf-8?B?c2hhZG93Y2F0Y2Fu?=

Can anyone assist me in making my network secure? I've done all of the
wizards that I can find, but none offer me this option. Whenever I connect,
I see two networks available, one is mine and says unsecured and another
which is not mine, that is password protected. I believe someone else was
using our network today and am worried this could cause some problems in
future.

thanks for any advice/help!
--
Laura

barb bowman

See if
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ebruary10.mspx
helps.

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Lem

shadowcatcan wrote:
> Can anyone assist me in making my network secure? I've done all of the
> wizards that I can find, but none offer me this option. Whenever I connect,
> I see two networks available, one is mine and says unsecured and another
> which is not mine, that is password protected. I believe someone else was
> using our network today and am worried this could cause some problems in
> future.
>
> thanks for any advice/help!

I can't do better than MS-MVP Malke (from whom the following was copied):

Here are links to help you:

Wireless - Basic Configuration -

The six dumbest ways to secure a wireless LAN -
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=43

You first need to determine if your hardware - all parts: the router and
the network adapter card(s) - support WPA. If one part does *not*, you
will need to either update its firmware and/or drivers or just use WEP.
You will set your router up (usually from a browser - consult the
manual) and select your encryption method and key. Most often you will
enter a passphrase to generate a key. You will not use the passphrase
again - you will enter the key on the laptop.