Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > .EXE associated with Microsoft Excel

.EXE associated with Microsoft Excel

Dan Wiebe

In the process of trying to eradicate a virus, I managed to
accidentally get all .EXE files associated with Microsoft
Excel. That is to say, whenever I try to run a .EXE file
(for example, EXPLORER.EXE), Excel opens up and loads the
file as data. This essentially means that the entire
machine is useless, except in command-line mode. Even Safe
Mode is hosed.

I used the command-line version of REGEDIT to dump the
Registry to a text file, which I have been perusing from
another machine over the network with WordPad. But I don't
know where in the Registry this file association is
located; I can't seem to find it either by searching for
"EXCEL.EXE" or for ".EXE"--or nearby variants of both.

So I used command-line mode to rename EXCEL.EXE to
EX_CEL.EXE; now whenever I boot the sick machine, I get a
lot of messages telling me that Windows needs EXCEL.EXE to
handle files of type 'EXE File' and can't find it. But I
can't find the string "EXE File" in the dumped Registry at all.

Any ideas what my next step should be?

Thanks,
Dan

Matt

Open up "My Computer" click on "Tools" then "Folder options". Click on File
types and find the entry for EXE files, delete it.

"Dan Wiebe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:58cb01c40411$b3a90450$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In the process of trying to eradicate a virus, I managed to
> accidentally get all .EXE files associated with Microsoft
> Excel. That is to say, whenever I try to run a .EXE file
> (for example, EXPLORER.EXE), Excel opens up and loads the
> file as data. This essentially means that the entire
> machine is useless, except in command-line mode. Even Safe
> Mode is hosed.
>
> I used the command-line version of REGEDIT to dump the
> Registry to a text file, which I have been perusing from
> another machine over the network with WordPad. But I don't
> know where in the Registry this file association is
> located; I can't seem to find it either by searching for
> "EXCEL.EXE" or for ".EXE"--or nearby variants of both.
>
> So I used command-line mode to rename EXCEL.EXE to
> EX_CEL.EXE; now whenever I boot the sick machine, I get a
> lot of messages telling me that Windows needs EXCEL.EXE to
> handle files of type 'EXE File' and can't find it. But I
> can't find the string "EXE File" in the dumped Registry at all.
>
> Any ideas what my next step should be?
>
> Thanks,
> Dan

Matt

Also try #12 on this list of fixes:

"Matt" <me@work> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Open up "My Computer" click on "Tools" then "Folder options". Click on

File
> types and find the entry for EXE files, delete it.
>

> "Dan Wiebe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:58cb01c40411$b3a90450$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In the process of trying to eradicate a virus, I managed to
> > accidentally get all .EXE files associated with Microsoft
> > Excel. That is to say, whenever I try to run a .EXE file
> > (for example, EXPLORER.EXE), Excel opens up and loads the
> > file as data. This essentially means that the entire
> > machine is useless, except in command-line mode. Even Safe
> > Mode is hosed.
> >
> > I used the command-line version of REGEDIT to dump the
> > Registry to a text file, which I have been perusing from
> > another machine over the network with WordPad. But I don't
> > know where in the Registry this file association is
> > located; I can't seem to find it either by searching for
> > "EXCEL.EXE" or for ".EXE"--or nearby variants of both.
> >
> > So I used command-line mode to rename EXCEL.EXE to
> > EX_CEL.EXE; now whenever I boot the sick machine, I get a
> > lot of messages telling me that Windows needs EXCEL.EXE to
> > handle files of type 'EXE File' and can't find it. But I
> > can't find the string "EXE File" in the dumped Registry at all.
> >
> > Any ideas what my next step should be?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dan

Thanks for the quick response. I should have mentioned
that the File Types list does not contain "EXE Files" or
anything else that looks appropriate. That's why I was
fooling with the Registry in the first place.

I'll keep grinding away and see what I can find out.

Thanks again,
Dan