Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Re: A+ vs this dumb cert

Re: A+ vs this dumb cert

""Some people here can't create a f-ing shortcut yet
somehow
they've mastered installing instant messenger programs.
Even when I go and uninstall the crap when they're not
around, somehow, it mysteriously reappears.""

Create a very restricted Group Policy.... They cant
install if they dont have the permissions to do so.

Demous

Yeah, that's a great idea in theory, but the problem is
there are still ways around it. Some messenger
alternatives don't need any kind of permission to be
installed; they only need to have access to the internet.
Others, can be installed on any user permissions, not
requiring admin rights either.

Just my 2 cents

(btw, on an unrelated matter to one of the posts earlier
in this thread... ".02 cents" is actually two
onehundredths of a cent ... sorry, I know, I'm anal, but I
had to."

>Create a very restricted Group Policy.... They cant
>install if they dont have the permissions to do so.

Here is a perfect example of someone that only knows the
textbook solution of a problem.

In the real world, restricting users from doing one thing
non-job related sometimes keeps them from being able to do
something they need to do that IS job related.

I work for a VERY large company (30,000+ users) and they
dont even friggin require users to change passwords on a
regular basis (my boss has been working here for 8 years
and still has the same password since day 1). Maybe that
is because they would have to have about 20 more people
working day and night to be available to reset user
passwords becasue they forgot it!

Users are idiots, plain and simple....except when it comes
to installing IM programs, games, porn...

Keep one thing in mind also... I work for a group of well
know hospitals in the Boston area and they don't even
require strong password protection... so much for secure
medical information...

have had the same password for the mainframe system for
seven years.

>Create a very restricted Group Policy.... They cant
>install if they dont have the permissions to do so.

YOU try creating a "very restricted Group Policy" that
doesn't break other apps of make things more difficult
(for the users and the admin).

In the "real world," it doesn't work like that. If I
followed every little fix the MBSA told me to tweak in the
Registry to stop the thing from telling me all my servers
and desktops were potentailly vulnerable, stuff would
break.

>>Must be a hospital thing. Even with HIPPA in place, I
>have had the same password for the mainframe system for
>seven years.

I think it is time to contact 20/20 or 60 Minutes and see
what they can dig up about this hospital crap.

I do NOT feel same with any of my info now....

Coming from a dummy with no certifications...If you want
to stop instant messenger programs from being installed
why dont you go to internet properties and restrict use
of the very sites they come from?!?!?!?!?!? Still the
setup program could be put on cd, but the majority of
your desktop dummies are not going to think of this.