Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCAD > Certification Progression

Certification Progression

neojoneswd

I have been trying to get skill upgraded for three + years after a three year
illness and recovery. A legacy(cobol, etc) programmer since 1970, after my
recovery from surgery no one would hire me in IT. My last employer(wamu) had
a lower position programming position I interviewed for and after 3 levels of
management said I would start the following week, HR shot me down without a
reason. after a year of interviewing, applying and rejection, a manager
finally said that with my medical history, age and out of work for so long,
not many would want even a seasoned programmer. I think that if I upgraded
my skills to include .net app development, I could be more marketable in the
legacy areana and current IT. I know jobs are tight but i would at least be
able to contract. Ive missed several jobs because i was not MS Certified.
My question is, does mcad make sense or should i go for mcsd or mcpd or what?
since the funding is now availible? Please give your honest opinions in
response about training and job possibilities. you are the ones already
there where i want to be. thanks
BJ
--
Legacy Programmer trying to upgrade to .net

LarryWestMCSD

In what country are you? If they actually told you that age was one of the
reasons they did not hire you, and you are over 40 and in the United States,
then you could have legal recourse against them. I would contact AARP, the
Legal Aid Society, your congressperson's office, or even the ACLU if this is
the case.

One of the reasons I became certified is that my Masters Degree is in
Divinity (actually I have an M.Div. in Languages, from probably the only
school that offered it) and I was tired of people asking if I would go back
to preaching if I ever got a chance. (I would, but I could never tell them
that.) Once I earned a couple of certifications, no one asks me that anymore.

Certifications will help you because it will give the prospective employer
something to focus on rather than on your old experience and education. It
also shows them that you are planning on staying in this business.

What I would recommend is this:
1. Go through each of the exams' preparation guide, look through the "skills
being measured" section, and determine which exam you already know the most
about. A list of exams is available at
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...spx?orderby=ID
2. Take that exam, regardless of what it is, and unless you've chosen
70-536, you will then become a Microsoft Certified Professional. Once you
pass one exam, the remaining exams seem to be a lot easier. I've posted my
study tips on some other newsgroups postings, if you need them.
3. In regards to taking MCAD/MCPD vs. MCTS/MCPD, we are almost at the point
now where they are both equal, although more employers are more familiar with
the MCAD/MCSD, and that certification lasts forever, rather than timing out
like the MCTS/MCPD do. On the other hand, saying that I'm one of only 663
people who are MCPD:Windows feels kind of special.
4. Find a volunteer organization that needs help, and assist them. I
currently work with a non-profit organization, and helped them so much that I
was chosen to be on the Board of Directors. (If it were not for me, a
Constitutional Amendment our organization supported would not have even
gotten on the ballot.) Not only will you gain possible contacts (networking),
but you will earn a couple of references that see your experience with
current technology, which can only help you get a full-time job. If you don't
know of any such organizations, I would recommend that you contact the United
Way (or your country's equivalent), and tell them your situation. Who knows,
there might be an organization that needs to have their programs re-written
from COBOL to C# or VB .Net that you might help.
5. Speaking of which, if I were you, that's where I would specialize in.
There are not that many people familiar with both COBOL and .Net, but there
is a need for converting and/or maintaining legacy code out there. If you can
do both, then you shouldn't have many problems finding a job (although
perhaps not in your city).
6. In regards to modern languages, I would recommend learning both VB .Net
and C#, with emphasis on the latter if you want to deal more with Web
development.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

"neojoneswd" wrote:

> I have been trying to get skill upgraded for three + years after a three year
> illness and recovery. A legacy(cobol, etc) programmer since 1970, after my
> recovery from surgery no one would hire me in IT. My last employer(wamu) had
> a lower position programming position I interviewed for and after 3 levels of
> management said I would start the following week, HR shot me down without a
> reason. after a year of interviewing, applying and rejection, a manager
> finally said that with my medical history, age and out of work for so long,
> not many would want even a seasoned programmer. I think that if I upgraded
> my skills to include .net app development, I could be more marketable in the
> legacy areana and current IT. I know jobs are tight but i would at least be
> able to contract. Ive missed several jobs because i was not MS Certified.
> My question is, does mcad make sense or should i go for mcsd or mcpd or what?
> since the funding is now availible? Please give your honest opinions in
> response about training and job possibilities. you are the ones already
> there where i want to be. thanks
> BJ
> --
> Legacy Programmer trying to upgrade to .net

Ahmed

Heloo LarryWestMCSD,

This is goos post, it's really useful.
As you said, can you post your study tips here that you mentioned you posted
them in another group. That will be great.

Also i had post question, under "MCAD Developer" , wish if you can helping
me by answer it.
That
Ahmed

"LarryWestMCSD" wrote:

> [...]
> > reason. after a year of interviewing, applying and rejection, a manager
> > finally said that with my medical history, age and out of work for so long,
> > not many would want even a seasoned programmer. I think that if I upgraded
> > my skills to include .net app development, I could be more marketable in the
> > legacy areana and current IT. I know jobs are tight but i would at least be
> > able to contract. Ive missed several jobs because i was not MS Certified.
> > My question is, does mcad make sense or should i go for mcsd or mcpd or what?
> > since the funding is now availible? Please give your honest opinions in
> > response about training and job possibilities. you are the ones already
> > there where i want to be. thanks
> > BJ
> > --
> > Legacy Programmer trying to upgrade to .net

better test/unit progression display Gaspard Bucher Ruby 9 09-25-2008 03:55 PM
System Maintenance: Best progression rfdjr1@optonline.net Computer Support 3 02-17-2007 10:22 PM
geometric progression Kevin C++ 4 12-20-2005 05:12 PM
Editing Software Progression Magnusfarce Digital Photography 17 10-14-2004 04:04 PM

Advertisments