Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCAD > Officially failed 70-305 today !

Officially failed 70-305 today !

Vern

I was a Cobol Programmer for 25 years and got outsourced with a
severence package. They authorized paid retraining so I took the
Skillsoft, 20 course CBT type training aimed at the MCSD. I don't want
to be a designer, been there and done that so the MCAD has 3 tests and
I do want to be a Developer, which I have been doing for 28 years
mainly on mainframes and Unix.

Got a 622 ........700 to pass...heck, when I finished that I thought I
got 300...being a good test taker bumped that up I guess.

The test was nothing like the practice tests. The practice tests
usually covered one area and then had simple situations.

Most of these led off a real world problems with a huge paragraph
describing the situations, and then you had to apply different areas
when they finally ax'ed what the question was.

I had 3 hours....I finished in 90 min. I knew the answers for sure on
about 10% of the test. Had an idea on about 50 % and flat a**ed
guessed and used process elimination on the rest (most) of the test.

Then there were areas that weren't covered in the training.

I'll quit whining...it was only $125 down the drain....and I'm not
working !

~ Vern

Eric

On Mar 20, 7:19 pm, "Vern" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'll quit whining...it was only $125 down the drain....and I'm not
> working !

The blue study guides from Gunderloy and Kalani are the best because
they focus on teaching you the material. Just passing the test isn't
good enough for a job.

But you may want to start out with the newer MCPD series now.
Unfortunately, Kalani's new set of books isn't out yet.

You best bet is to learn the fundamentals and get an entry level job.
I know you're not young, but you need to hire in at a level where you
can perform. If you hire at the entry level you can learn more on the
company's dime. Then you can get a better job in one or two years.

I was also a COBOL programmer. Now I'm a senior .NET developer. It
takes a LOT of effort, so you need to ensure that's what you rally
want to do. I'd say .NET is about 500 times more complex than COBOL,
especially when you factor in the web and Windows APIs. We're not in
Kansas anymore.

With your background you might find that C# lines up better than VB.
VB is mostly used by younger people and people who migrate from VB6.
At the senior level most jobs are for C#. I'm not saying C# is better
than VB, but it's smaller and easier to learn, especially for someone
without a VB6 background. And it pays more...go figure!

Eric