Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCAD > Is there an easy way to pass 70-320?

Is there an easy way to pass 70-320?

Javaman59

No.

Yesterday I did the exam, and passed with 824. (pass mark - 700). Apart from
the relief of passing the exam, I was also relieved to discover that all the
months of preparation I had put into it weren't wasted (ie. there are no
shortcuts)!

I spent about 6 months, part-time, doing the study. I work in Visual C++ and
COM, so most of the 70-320 technologies were new to me. After getting buried
in Kalani's Microsoft book for months, I switched to his ExamCram one, and
that's when I started making real progress. Also, SAMS Visual C# .Net
Unleashed was very helpful.

As I was plodding through this stuff, I kept wondering "Is there an easier
way?" and "How am I going to remember all of this on exam day".

I've already answered the first question.

As for the second question, now that I've done the exam I can see how it
might have been a bit easier to focus the material, and this might be helpful
to others.

1. *Understand* the relationship of client and server in the various
client/server technologies (remoting,web services, etc)

2. *Understand* the places of security, performance, scalability and
interroperability in selecting a client/server technology, and in selecting
protocols and implementation options (SOAP?,Binary?,Http?,buffering?..etc..)

3. If you're like me, then you think of security as a necessary, but
tedious, afterthought. Well, Microsoft is more enthusiastic about security
than that

4. Spend enough time with Visual Studio and the command line tools to at
least see all of the main concepts in action (several times each, and with
some variations). Unfortunately, I had lots of problems configuring my
computer to support the various technologies. If I were to do it again, I'd
start with a bare-bones WinXP and keep it dedicated to this project. There's
nothing more frustrating than spending precious study hours battling
configuration problems!

5. Details..details..details... "How am I going to remember all these
classes, attributes, methods.. etc..?". This for me was the big question
hanging over my preparedness for the exam, and I probably shouldn't give too
much away here, as I suspect part of the exam strategy is to sort out whether
people know enough details, without having to know everything (which is
impossible). Nevertheless, I'd suggest the following - 1. Frame your study
around 1, 2, 3 and 4, above, and the details which relate to these; 2.
Familiarity with .Net, built up through lots of programming, is very helpful,
as it helps you to guess at the meaning of identifiers which you haven't seen
before.

It's been a grueling process, but I've also enjoyed it. If I didn't enjoy
..Net so much, I don't think I could ever have passed.

Good luck, and try to have some fun with it!

Javaman

ps. Please don't ask any specific questions about exam content. I'm not
allowed to answer. As a general comment, I wouldn't recommend that you skip
*any* of the Kalani book in the hope that it won't appear in the exam.

Cerebrus

Good set of tips, there.

Regards,

Cerebrus.