Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCAD > web service

Reply
Thread Tools

web service

 
 
airwalker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-29-2006
Im im studying for 70-320, im trying to add a reference to a web service in
my application, eveytime I attempt to do so I get the following message:

"The proxy settings on this computer are not configured correctly for web
discovery. Click the Help button for more information."

How do I resolve this?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Simon Hart
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-29-2006
Hi Airwalker,

Are you trying to add a reference to a Web Service that is on the internet?
Are you sitting behind a proxy server?

Regards
Simon.

"airwalker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Im im studying for 70-320, im trying to add a reference to a web service
> in
> my application, eveytime I attempt to do so I get the following message:
>
> "The proxy settings on this computer are not configured correctly for web
> discovery. Click the Help button for more information."
>
> How do I resolve this?
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Cerebrus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-29-2006

airwalker wrote:
> Im im studying for 70-320, im trying to add a reference to a web service in
> my application, eveytime I attempt to do so I get the following message:
>
> "The proxy settings on this computer are not configured correctly for web
> discovery. Click the Help button for more information."
>
> How do I resolve this?


See this page <http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/03seed2h.aspx>

AFAIK, It applies to VS 2003 as well.

 
Reply With Quote
 
airwalker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-29-2006
Thanks for the advice guys.

I've goon to IE > tools > connections > LAN settings

I then checked the "use a proxy server for your lan"

am I right in typing "http://locahost" for the address?

and what do I typr in for port?

thanks.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Cerebrus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-30-2006
>> am I right in typing "http://locahost" for the address?

I think not. You should type in the IP address instead. Try port 80.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Simon Hart
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-30-2006
You need to type in the IP address of your Proxy server. Firewalls
generally(default configuration) allow the default port 80 for web servers
so it is unlikely to be a firewall issue.
Check with your sys admin for the proxy server address.

Regards
Simon.

"airwalker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the advice guys.
>
> I've goon to IE > tools > connections > LAN settings
>
> I then checked the "use a proxy server for your lan"
>
> am I right in typing "http://locahost" for the address?
>
> and what do I typr in for port?
>
> thanks.
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
airwalker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-30-2006
>"Cerebrus" wrote:
> >> am I right in typing "http://locahost" for the address?

>
> I think not. You should type in the IP address instead. Try port 80.
>


Done that, but now I get this message:

"There was an error downloading
'http://live.capescience.com/wsdl/AirportWeather.wsdl'.

The underlying connection was closed: Unable to connect to the remote server".

do you think there is a problem with the web service server? what about If I
add visual studio to the exceptions list under windows firewall?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Simon Hart
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-30-2006
The WSDL document does not exist. You get http 404 if you type that address
into your web browser. Try it.

If you want to play arond with on-line web services try this site for some
valid ones:

http://www.xmethods.net

Regards
Simon.

"airwalker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >"Cerebrus" wrote:
>> >> am I right in typing "http://locahost" for the address?

>>
>> I think not. You should type in the IP address instead. Try port 80.
>>

>
> Done that, but now I get this message:
>
> "There was an error downloading
> 'http://live.capescience.com/wsdl/AirportWeather.wsdl'.
>
> The underlying connection was closed: Unable to connect to the remote
> server".
>
> do you think there is a problem with the web service server? what about If
> I
> add visual studio to the exceptions list under windows firewall?



 
Reply With Quote
 
Cerebrus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-30-2006
Simon is right about this. That particular example in the book about
AirportWeatherService is outdated. You will need to try another Web
service.

 
Reply With Quote
 
airwalker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-30-2006
>"Cerebrus" wrote:
> Simon is right about this. That particular example in the book about
> AirportWeatherService is outdated. You will need to try another Web
> service.
>


Thanks again for your replies guys, the web service shows up, but I am
unable to add a web reference to it, as the add reference button is disabled
and I get the following message:

"There was an error downloading 'http://www.xmethods.net/'.
The underlying connection was closed: Unable to connect to the remote server".

in proxy settings I typed in my IP address and typed 80 for the port, am I
still doing something wrong?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does timer in Web Service Global.asax block my Web Service from processing web-site requests? Leo Violette ASP .Net Web Services 0 04-17-2009 12:39 AM
'web service call failed: 500' using ajax hovermenu and web service Not Me ASP .Net 1 06-05-2007 03:09 PM
InvocationTargetException when calling "new Service()" in Axis web service to call another web service Michael Averstegge Java 0 01-10-2006 11:05 PM
Calling a Web Service using Axis, from within an Axis Web Service running under Tomcat hocho888 Java 1 04-29-2005 08:26 PM
Web Service that calls an external Web Service Isaias Formacio Serna ASP .Net Security 5 02-02-2004 07:38 AM



Advertisments