Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCAD > Choices, Choices!!!!

Choices, Choices!!!!

Leeland Clay

Well, I've been programming for many years as a hobby and I've decided to
begin looking for gainful employment with this. I've been an MCSE for
years, so I'm well versed with "Microsoft's way of testing".

I've pulled all my programming cert books that I've gotten from my book club
to begin studying and I've come up with one initial question! Which way do
I go, VB or C#???? I have more experience with VB than C++/C#, but I feel
comfortable with both. I'm leaning towards VB simply because of the longer
experience, but I've noticed a lot more positions are calling for C#.

Desicions, decisions!!! :/

Joseph Bittman MVP MCSD

Feb. 11, 2006

Frankly, since C# and VB (.net) both run under the .Net Runtime, it
doesn't matter. Any company which says a position is only C# or VB (since
you can have both types of languages under a VS Solution), I think is far
off base.... I even believe VS 05 can have BOTH VB AND C# in the SAME
project... lol

I think it won't matter in the future, although I do with MSFT would
market this feature more!

--

Joseph Bittman
Microsoft Certified Solution Developer

Blog/Web Site: http://71.39.42.23/

"Leeland Clay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, I've been programming for many years as a hobby and I've decided to
> begin looking for gainful employment with this. I've been an MCSE for
> years, so I'm well versed with "Microsoft's way of testing".
>
> I've pulled all my programming cert books that I've gotten from my book
> club to begin studying and I've come up with one initial question! Which
> way do I go, VB or C#???? I have more experience with VB than C++/C#, but
> I feel comfortable with both. I'm leaning towards VB simply because of
> the longer experience, but I've noticed a lot more positions are calling
> for C#.
>
> Desicions, decisions!!! :/

David Hearn

Joseph Bittman MVP MCSD wrote:
> Feb. 11, 2006
>
> Frankly, since C# and VB (.net) both run under the .Net Runtime, it
> doesn't matter. Any company which says a position is only C# or VB (since
> you can have both types of languages under a VS Solution), I think is far
> off base.... I even believe VS 05 can have BOTH VB AND C# in the SAME
> project... lol
>
> I think it won't matter in the future, although I do with MSFT would
> market this feature more!

Yes, C# and VB both compile down to the same code, and AFAIK, everything
you can do in VB can be done in C# and vice-versa, however, if a company
has existing code in C#, doesn't have any experience at VB, and has
existing code to use and maintain, it makes sense to employ C# developers.

Hiring a guy with VB skills to write an extension to their product
(previously in C#) in VB should work fine (from an execution point of
view), but if another developer needs to pick it up when he's on
holiday, and no one else knows VB, then they've got a problem.

Until MS allows VB to be automagically transliterated into C# and
vice-versa, you'll still have a need for VB and C# specific developers.