Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCAD > How to get started?

How to get started?

rsine

A colleague who recently got his MCAD said I should explore getting the same
certification. In the past, I have only marginally worked with the .Net
framework in that I used it to create middleware programs in VS 2003 for an
AIX based business system. However, I see that going forward I will have a
greater need to work with the .Net framework and other MS products such as
BizTalk. So, I have been doing some reading about MCAD and some articles
said that getting the certification now is not worthwhile because it would be
for VS 2003 and a new one will be coming for VS 2005. What does this mean?
Is something replacing the MCAD when a version of the exams is created for VS
2005? If so, what is it? Either way, I need to get started preparing
because the company I work for has expressed a willingness to pay for the
certification. So, how should I get started? What books, web sites, prep
courses, etc should I explore to get a "nearly beginner" properly prepared
for whatever exams I will need to take.

Simon Hart

You need a real good understanding of .NET and Visual Studio .NET and your
language of choice in order to pass any of the exams.

You need not take the biztalk exam. See here for MCAD exam information and
objectives: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...quirements.asp

The MCTS and MCPD are the next MCAD and MCSD exams which are currently in
beta. They are said to be GA by mid year (May/June). When you are an MCAD
you can take one upgrade exam to upgrade to MCTS and MCPD credentials. If
not then you will need to set five exams.

In terms of study material, I found Amit Kalani books by Que publishing
invaluable.
But you need to back up any book with hand's on and MSDN searching and
reading. Search on MSDN for each objective and study it until you fully
understand it.
I also have books from Microsoft Press which I didn't find as useful - too
indepth too early.
I found C# 2nd Edition *by Que I think* a very good book for advanced C# and
bits not covered in the study certification books.
I have just ordered Amit Kalani's 70-320 book from Amazon for my next exam.
If I was to buy one book then I would buy Amit Kalani's.
I also found eXtreme .NET by Dr Neil Roodyn a very good read too. This is
more about agile development methodologies than exam subjects but it's good
to teach you best practices in particular the correct use of the OO object
model. It goes into unit testing too using Nunit. There were a couple of
questions in my exam on unit testing.

Regards and good luck
Simon.

"rsine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>A colleague who recently got his MCAD said I should explore getting the
>same
> certification. In the past, I have only marginally worked with the .Net
> framework in that I used it to create middleware programs in VS 2003 for
> an
> AIX based business system. However, I see that going forward I will have
> greater need to work with the .Net framework and other MS products such as
> BizTalk. So, I have been doing some reading about MCAD and some articles
> said that getting the certification now is not worthwhile because it would
> be
> for VS 2003 and a new one will be coming for VS 2005. What does this
> mean?
> Is something replacing the MCAD when a version of the exams is created for
> VS
> 2005? If so, what is it? Either way, I need to get started preparing
> because the company I work for has expressed a willingness to pay for the
> certification. So, how should I get started? What books, web sites, prep
> courses, etc should I explore to get a "nearly beginner" properly prepared
> for whatever exams I will need to take.

David Hearn

For someone who is looking to start the MCTS track, what books would you
suggest getting now? The MS self-study guides aren't available for the
70-536 and 70-526 I'm looking to take. Amit Kalani hasn't published any
on these exams (July 2006 it seems).

I've ordered the MS C# Core Reference book (coming out this month).

Any idea whether Amit's book on exam 70-316 would be useful for
70-526/536? I realise these exams are for .Net 2.0/VS2005, but are
there any significant differences between these technologies which mean
that what I'd learn in that book wouldn't be an applicable starting
point for the new exams? As his book is available now, I thought it
might be a good starting point, moving onto the MS Self Study when they
come out.

Thanks

David

Simon Hart wrote:
> You need a real good understanding of .NET and Visual Studio .NET and your
> language of choice in order to pass any of the exams.
>
> You need not take the biztalk exam. See here for MCAD exam information and
> objectives: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...quirements.asp
>
> The MCTS and MCPD are the next MCAD and MCSD exams which are currently in
> beta. They are said to be GA by mid year (May/June). When you are an MCAD
> you can take one upgrade exam to upgrade to MCTS and MCPD credentials. If
> not then you will need to set five exams.
>
> In terms of study material, I found Amit Kalani books by Que publishing
> invaluable.
> But you need to back up any book with hand's on and MSDN searching and
> reading. Search on MSDN for each objective and study it until you fully
> understand it.
> I also have books from Microsoft Press which I didn't find as useful - too
> indepth too early.
> I found C# 2nd Edition *by Que I think* a very good book for advanced C# and
> bits not covered in the study certification books.
> I have just ordered Amit Kalani's 70-320 book from Amazon for my next exam.
> If I was to buy one book then I would buy Amit Kalani's.
> I also found eXtreme .NET by Dr Neil Roodyn a very good read too. This is
> more about agile development methodologies than exam subjects but it's good
> to teach you best practices in particular the correct use of the OO object
> model. It goes into unit testing too using Nunit. There were a couple of
> questions in my exam on unit testing.
>
> Regards and good luck
> Simon.
>

> "rsine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>A colleague who recently got his MCAD said I should explore getting the
>>same
>>certification. In the past, I have only marginally worked with the .Net
>>framework in that I used it to create middleware programs in VS 2003 for
>>an
>>AIX based business system. However, I see that going forward I will have
>>greater need to work with the .Net framework and other MS products such as
>>BizTalk. So, I have been doing some reading about MCAD and some articles
>>said that getting the certification now is not worthwhile because it would
>>be
>>for VS 2003 and a new one will be coming for VS 2005. What does this
>>mean?
>>Is something replacing the MCAD when a version of the exams is created for
>>VS
>>2005? If so, what is it? Either way, I need to get started preparing
>>because the company I work for has expressed a willingness to pay for the
>>certification. So, how should I get started? What books, web sites, prep
>>courses, etc should I explore to get a "nearly beginner" properly prepared
>>for whatever exams I will need to take.

Simon Hart

I recommdend looking at MSDN2 and study the objectives for the new MCTS
exams. If you have the skills to pass the 70-316 etc you might as well do
MCAD then you take 1 upgrade exam to get MCTS and MCPD.

Regards
Simon.

news:dsv621$331$(E-Mail Removed)...