Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCAD > Exam 070-315 and Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition

Exam 070-315 and Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition

Michael Finney

Hi!

Will using Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition to prepare for the
070-315 exam be an asset or a hinderance?

I am using the book titled "MCAD/MCSD Training Guide (70-315): Developing
and Implementing Web Applications with Visual C# and Visual Studio .NET" by
Amit Kalani and it says to use an edition of Visual Studio .net. Amit lists 3
editions, but does not list the "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition"
since the book was written awhile ago.

Thank you.
Michael

Lydon Bergin

I think that it will help if you absolutely have nothing else to work with,
but usually those books come with a trial version of visual studio, which I
would recommend you use instead. VWD Express is based on VB/C# 2005 (2.0)
and the exams are based on Visual Studio.NET (as it says in the title) and
..NET 1.x.

I took exam 70-306 (VB.NET/WinForms) after only using VB Express and I
passed, but I feel like I would have done much better if I had been familiar
with Visual Studio.NET.

Hope this helps,
Lydon D. Bergin
MCP, MOS

"Michael Finney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi!
>
> Will using Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition to prepare for the
> 070-315 exam be an asset or a hinderance?
>
> I am using the book titled "MCAD/MCSD Training Guide (70-315): Developing
> and Implementing Web Applications with Visual C# and Visual Studio .NET"
> by
> Amit Kalani and it says to use an edition of Visual Studio .net. Amit
> lists 3
> editions, but does not list the "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express
> Edition"
> since the book was written awhile ago.
>
> Thank you.
> Michael

Michael Finney

So would buying Microsoft Visual Studio .NET Professional 2003 English be a
smart move in order to pass the test?

Also is $309.99 too much to pay for a legal copy of it?

Thanks,
Michael

"Lydon Bergin" wrote:

> I think that it will help if you absolutely have nothing else to work with,
> but usually those books come with a trial version of visual studio, which I
> would recommend you use instead. VWD Express is based on VB/C# 2005 (2.0)
> and the exams are based on Visual Studio.NET (as it says in the title) and
> ..NET 1.x.
>
> I took exam 70-306 (VB.NET/WinForms) after only using VB Express and I
> passed, but I feel like I would have done much better if I had been familiar
> with Visual Studio.NET.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Lydon D. Bergin
> MCP, MOS
>
> "Michael Finney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi!
> >
> > Will using Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition to prepare for the
> > 070-315 exam be an asset or a hinderance?
> >
> > I am using the book titled "MCAD/MCSD Training Guide (70-315): Developing
> > and Implementing Web Applications with Visual C# and Visual Studio .NET"
> > by
> > Amit Kalani and it says to use an edition of Visual Studio .net. Amit
> > lists 3
> > editions, but does not list the "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express
> > Edition"
> > since the book was written awhile ago.
> >
> > Thank you.
> > Michael

Andre Nogueira

Hi,

If you are going to buy Visual Studio just to pass the exam (ie. afterwards
you won't use it to develop programs yourself) using the trial version would
be much cheaper.

If you do intend to use it for actual development, buying would (of course)
be advisable. Is that price ($309.99) for a new or used copy?

André Nogueira

"Michael Finney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> So would buying Microsoft Visual Studio .NET Professional 2003 English be
> smart move in order to pass the test?
>
> Also is $309.99 too much to pay for a legal copy of it?
>
> Thanks,
> Michael
>

> "Lydon Bergin" wrote:
>
>> I think that it will help if you absolutely have nothing else to work
>> with,
>> but usually those books come with a trial version of visual studio, which
>> would recommend you use instead. VWD Express is based on VB/C# 2005
>> (2.0)
>> and the exams are based on Visual Studio.NET (as it says in the title)
>> and
>> ..NET 1.x.
>>
>> I took exam 70-306 (VB.NET/WinForms) after only using VB Express and I
>> passed, but I feel like I would have done much better if I had been
>> familiar
>> with Visual Studio.NET.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Lydon D. Bergin
>> MCP, MOS
>>
>> "Michael Finney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi!
>> >
>> > Will using Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition to prepare for the
>> > 070-315 exam be an asset or a hinderance?
>> >
>> > I am using the book titled "MCAD/MCSD Training Guide (70-315):
>> > Developing
>> > and Implementing Web Applications with Visual C# and Visual Studio
>> > .NET"
>> > by
>> > Amit Kalani and it says to use an edition of Visual Studio .net. Amit
>> > lists 3
>> > editions, but does not list the "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express
>> > Edition"
>> > since the book was written awhile ago.
>> >
>> > Thank you.
>> > Michael

Michael Finney

I didn't see a way to download a trial version of 2003 so, I posted a request
for help at
trial?

If you happen to know a way, let me know.

The item I saw was for a new copy via e-bay. I doubt I will buy an IDE at
this moment though.

Michael

"Andre Nogueira" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If you are going to buy Visual Studio just to pass the exam (ie. afterwards
> you won't use it to develop programs yourself) using the trial version would
> be much cheaper.
>
> If you do intend to use it for actual development, buying would (of course)
> be advisable. Is that price ($309.99) for a new or used copy?
>
> André Nogueira
>
> "Michael Finney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > So would buying Microsoft Visual Studio .NET Professional 2003 English be
> > smart move in order to pass the test?
> >
> > Also is $309.99 too much to pay for a legal copy of it?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Michael
> >

> > "Lydon Bergin" wrote:
> >
> >> I think that it will help if you absolutely have nothing else to work
> >> with,
> >> but usually those books come with a trial version of visual studio, which
> >> would recommend you use instead. VWD Express is based on VB/C# 2005
> >> (2.0)
> >> and the exams are based on Visual Studio.NET (as it says in the title)
> >> and
> >> ..NET 1.x.
> >>
> >> I took exam 70-306 (VB.NET/WinForms) after only using VB Express and I
> >> passed, but I feel like I would have done much better if I had been
> >> familiar
> >> with Visual Studio.NET.
> >>
> >> Hope this helps,
> >> Lydon D. Bergin
> >> MCP, MOS
> >>
> >> "Michael Finney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> >> message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Lydon Bergin

I'm not sure if you can download it anywhere or not.
I got my copy (60 day trial I think) from the Microsoft Press Self-Paced
Training Kit for the 070-306 exam but I never used it. I checked the book
out from my college library so I didn't have to pay anything.

"Michael Finney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I didn't see a way to download a trial version of 2003 so, I posted a
>request
> for help at
> trial?
>
> If you happen to know a way, let me know.
>
> The item I saw was for a new copy via e-bay. I doubt I will buy an IDE at
> this moment though.
>
> Michael
>
> "Andre Nogueira" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> If you are going to buy Visual Studio just to pass the exam (ie.
>> afterwards
>> you won't use it to develop programs yourself) using the trial version
>> would
>> be much cheaper.
>>
>> If you do intend to use it for actual development, buying would (of
>> course)
>> be advisable. Is that price ($309.99) for a new or used copy?
>>
>> André Nogueira
>>
>> "Michael Finney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > So would buying Microsoft Visual Studio .NET Professional 2003 English
>> > be
>> > smart move in order to pass the test?
>> >
>> > Also is $309.99 too much to pay for a legal copy of it?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Michael

Michael Finney

Thank you.

Thanks go to all who answered. I appreciate it.

Michael