Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCAD > telephone questions

telephone questions

airwalker

I applied for my first developer (c#.net) job this morning. Later on I got a
call from an man asking me several questions and told me to answer them in 1
minutues over the phone
The questions were:

1. What is a web service?
2. How do u test for errors?
3. what is the difference between a remote and a web service
4. what are the deifintions to these term:
(a) namespace (b)public void (c)private void (d)overide

how would give these answers in the time given ( 1 minute) and is this
typical experience when applying for c# jobs

Joseph Bittman MVP MCSD

January 31, 2006

Well, frankly if that is all of their interview/screening questions, then
that company isn't looking for tremendously in-depth people ... just my
opinion.

--

Joseph Bittman
Microsoft Certified Solution Developer

Blog/Web Site: http://71.39.42.23/
"airwalker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I applied for my first developer (c#.net) job this morning. Later on I got
> call from an man asking me several questions and told me to answer them in
> 1
> minutues over the phone
> The questions were:
>
> 1. What is a web service?
> 2. How do u test for errors?
> 3. what is the difference between a remote and a web service
> 4. what are the deifintions to these term:
> (a) namespace (b)public void (c)private void (d)overide
>
> how would give these answers in the time given ( 1 minute) and is this
> typical experience when applying for c# jobs

airwalker

it wasnt a screening or a interview question, it was just a quick call in
which I had to answer those questions in 1 minute. I was shocked cos I
thought that questions would be asked an interview or an online test, and not
at 1st contact.

Simon Hart

They are just separating the wheat from the shaft.

I recently had these which was a priminlary test which I thought was too easy. I was given 20-25 minutes too:

Q1) What will be the output of the following code?

try

{

int num = 100;

int den = 0;

try

{

MessageBox.Show("Message1");

int res = num/den;

MessageBox.Show("Message2");

}

catch(ArithmeticException ae)

{

MessageBox.Show("Message3");

}

MessageBox.Show("Message4");

}

A)

Message1

Message4

B)

Message1

Message2

Message3

Message4

C)

Message1

Message3

Message4

D)

Message1

Message3

Message2

Message4

Q2) What does the following function do?

private Type GetTypeFromClassName(string className, Assembly lib, Type type1)

{

Type t = null;

Type[] types = lib.GetTypes();

foreach (Type type in types)

{

if( type.GetInterface(type1.Name) != null)

{

if( type.FullName.Equals(className) )

{

t = type;

}

}

}

return t;

}

A) Returns the Type type1 only if it is contained in Assembly lib.

B) Returns the type represented by the fully qualified type name className from assembly lib.

C) Returns the type represented by the fully qualified type name from assembly lib only if it exists and implements the type1 interface.

Q3) Given the following SQL Server table:

Which of the following queries would produce the following output?

EmployeeID FirstName LastName

----------- ---------- --------------------

9 Anne Dodsworth

6 Michael Suyama

7 Robert King

5 Steven Buchanan

A)

select EmployeeID, FirstName, LastName from Employees

WHERE Country='UK'

ORDER BY HireDate DESC

B)

select EmployeeID, FirstName, LastName from Employees

WHERE Country='UK'

ORDER BY BirthDate DESC

C)

select EmployeeID, FirstName, LastName from Employees

WHERE EmployeeID > 5

ORDER BY BirthDate

Q4) What would happen if you were to compile the following code?

using System;

using System.Windows.Forms;

namespace Questions

{

public class Question4

{

protected string name;

public Question4(string Name)

{

this.name = Name;

}

}

public class InheritQuestion4 : Question4

{

public InheritQuestion4()

{

}

public void ShowName()

{

MessageBox.Show( this.name );

}

}

}

A) The compile would fail as the name variable is not available to the class InheritQuestion4 because of its protection level.

B) The compile would fail because the InheritQuestion4 constructor does not match a constructor in its parent class.

C) The compile would succeed.

Q5) You need to define a property named ModuleNumber. This property should be accessible only inside the same project. Which of the following access modifiers will you use to define this property?

A) internal

B) private

C) protected

"airwalker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> it wasnt a screening or a interview question, it was just a quick call in
> which I had to answer those questions in 1 minute. I was shocked cos I
> thought that questions would be asked an interview or an online test, and not
> at 1st contact.

Leeland Clay

I agree. The market is becoming flooded with people who want to become programmers, so they take a boot camp and get certified. The employers just want to see how comfortable you are with the technology. Same thing happened with the MCSE's around 2k.

One thing to keep in mind is that a correct answer may not be the only valid answer. Some employers would prefer to hear you say that you don't know than for you to make up some BS answer. HOWEVER, if you say you're not sure; make sure you write the question down, find the answer and e-mail a response in your own words the same day. This will show the employer that you're able to adapt and learn quickly.
"Simon Hart" <srhartone@[no spam]yahoo.com> wrote in message news:O0%(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

B) The compile would fail because the InheritQuestion4 constructor does not match a constructor in its parent class.

C) The compile would succeed.

Q5) You need to define a property named ModuleNumber. This property should be accessible only inside the same project. Which of the following access modifiers will you use to define this property?

A) internal

B) private

C) protected

"airwalker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> it wasnt a screening or a interview question, it was just a quick call in
> which I had to answer those questions in 1 minute. I was shocked cos I
> thought that questions would be asked an interview or an online test, and not

Javier

answers :

"Leeland Clay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
[...]

Answer - C (Division by zero triggers the exception)

[...]

Answer - C

Q3) Given the following SQL Server table:

Which of the following queries would produce the following output?

EmployeeID FirstName LastName

----------- ---------- --------------------

9 Anne Dodsworth

6 Michael Suyama

7 Robert King

5 Steven Buchanan

A)

select EmployeeID, FirstName, LastName from Employees

WHERE Country='UK'

ORDER BY HireDate DESC

B)

select EmployeeID, FirstName, LastName from Employees

WHERE Country='UK'

ORDER BY BirthDate DESC

C)

select EmployeeID, FirstName, LastName from Employees

WHERE EmployeeID > 5

ORDER BY BirthDate

Answer - B

[...]

Answer - A internal