Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCAD > MCAD for career in IT

MCAD for career in IT

ms

Hi,

I have several years C/C++ programming experience in embedded environment.
I am looking at moving into .NET, is it possible take the MCAD exams
without
being in a IT role. My aim after getting the MCAD is to apply for job,
without
a certification and no experience i suppose i have zero chance but was
wondering
if i have MCAD if this would get me a job. Anyone done this. Obviously
there
must be a way of getting into .NET without job experience.

Thanks

David

MCAD might get you the interview, but it won't get you the job, just based on
the fact that you passed some tests. You might need to take a lower paying
job where you can work on programming on your own. It is very hard to find a
position where you can learn on the job, you are expected to know everything
you need to know already.

David
MCAD

"ms" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have several years C/C++ programming experience in embedded environment.
> I am looking at moving into .NET, is it possible take the MCAD exams
> without
> being in a IT role. My aim after getting the MCAD is to apply for job,
> without
> a certification and no experience i suppose i have zero chance but was
> wondering
> if i have MCAD if this would get me a job. Anyone done this. Obviously
> there
> must be a way of getting into .NET without job experience.
>
> Thanks

ms

Hi David

Are you saying if i somehow get the interview i would fail any technical
questions at the interview ie MCAD doesn't cover real life scenarios.
I would have thought if i got an interview based on MCAD the interviewer
could tell from CV that i have no practical experience ie only have the
test.

>It is very hard to find a
> position where you can learn on the job, you are expected to know

everything
> you need to know already.

This means that i'd need to start on some sort of graduate salary
to get a job in this field. Is it really this bad?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> MCAD might get you the interview, but it won't get you the job, just based

on
> the fact that you passed some tests. You might need to take a lower

paying
> job where you can work on programming on your own. It is very hard to

find a
> position where you can learn on the job, you are expected to know

everything
> you need to know already.
>

> David
> MCAD
>
> "ms" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have several years C/C++ programming experience in embedded

environment.
> > I am looking at moving into .NET, is it possible take the MCAD exams
> > without
> > being in a IT role. My aim after getting the MCAD is to apply for job,
> > without
> > a certification and no experience i suppose i have zero chance but was
> > wondering
> > if i have MCAD if this would get me a job. Anyone done this. Obviously
> > there
> > must be a way of getting into .NET without job experience.
> >
> > Thanks

Nick Wegner

The MCAD does prepare you for a few real world senerios, but the best
preparation is actually working in the real world. No test or class is going
to beat real world experience. Like David said, it might help you get an
interview, but it won't land you a job. Your knowledge, attitude and
experience will actually get you a job.

Regarding the graduate salary question: What were you expecting? Were you
expecting a company to pay you $75,000 to program .Net apps when you have
never done it before? Unless your Dad, Uncle, Mom or brother is the CEO of
some company, you will have to climb the ladder like everyone else. I'm not
trying to be a prick here, I'm just being realistic. Work is not a bad
thing. Work makes you smarter, work makes you valuable. Work = experience.

"ms" wrote:

> Hi David
>
> Are you saying if i somehow get the interview i would fail any technical
> questions at the interview ie MCAD doesn't cover real life scenarios.
> I would have thought if i got an interview based on MCAD the interviewer
> could tell from CV that i have no practical experience ie only have the
> test.
>
> >It is very hard to find a
> > position where you can learn on the job, you are expected to know

> everything
> > you need to know already.

> This means that i'd need to start on some sort of graduate salary
> to get a job in this field. Is it really this bad?
>
> "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > MCAD might get you the interview, but it won't get you the job, just based

> on
> > the fact that you passed some tests. You might need to take a lower

> paying
> > job where you can work on programming on your own. It is very hard to

> find a
> > position where you can learn on the job, you are expected to know

> everything
> > you need to know already.
> >

> > David
> > MCAD
> >
> > "ms" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have several years C/C++ programming experience in embedded

> environment.
> > > I am looking at moving into .NET, is it possible take the MCAD exams
> > > without
> > > being in a IT role. My aim after getting the MCAD is to apply for job,
> > > without
> > > a certification and no experience i suppose i have zero chance but was
> > > wondering
> > > if i have MCAD if this would get me a job. Anyone done this. Obviously
> > > there
> > > must be a way of getting into .NET without job experience.
> > >
> > > Thanks

Sean

despite what these people here are saying I will give you specific experience
doing pretty much exactly what you are doing.

MCAD = interviews
Interviews = technical questions (most of the time)
MCAD = helps answer those technical questions

I havent yet been asked a "real life" technical question. Every question I
have been asked are just that technical. Questions like "whats a value
type"?, what is a validator control?, what is view state?

The catcher here is this however, MCAD doesnt really get into much of the
system.object namespace or basic programming issues such as "what is a value
type". However once MCAD those can be learned in a few weeks top.

"ms" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have several years C/C++ programming experience in embedded environment.
> I am looking at moving into .NET, is it possible take the MCAD exams
> without
> being in a IT role. My aim after getting the MCAD is to apply for job,
> without
> a certification and no experience i suppose i have zero chance but was
> wondering
> if i have MCAD if this would get me a job. Anyone done this. Obviously
> there
> must be a way of getting into .NET without job experience.
>
> Thanks

Sean

what I have noticed lately now that I have been looking for work is that
employers do find MCAD attractive but have nearly zero clue what it covers
specifically.
Furthermore they dont seem to ask themselves the question "why does the
largest software company on the planet find these particular elements that
are covered in MCAD good things to know for software developement" and
instead they personally think they can make that judgement better then
Microsoft can and then create their own test.

I took an employer test and pasted it. When I told him that every single
question on that test I learned from MCAD he got offended... I kid you not.
He was set on a CompSci canidate, I am Info Systems.

I think this guy was an execption to the rule on degree hyperactivity but it
does seem the general rule that employer dont know what MCAD covers and think
that they personally know better then Microsoft does.

These guys need to get togehter and make their own certification program
given how smart they think they are.