Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCAD > 70-316 Good study guides

70-316 Good study guides

Simon Hart

Hi,

I am preparing for my scheduled 70-316 exam v.soon. I currently have
MCAD/MCSD.NET Que book by Amit Kalani which is absolutely fantastic. I also
have C# 2nd Edition by Wrox Press which is good maybe a little too subject
focused at times, but I know this book was not written with the intention of
passing 70-316.

Does anyone have any other good book recommendations that are designed for
the above exam. I heard the MS Press books are crap, not sure how true this
is though as I have never read any of them.

I am particulay interested in books that cover more security related subject
and a little more advanced features of ADO.NET but of course do not want to
buy a door step book which just covers solid ADO.NET or .NET security!

Many thanks
Simon.

Joseph Bittman MVP MCSD

January 9, 2005

I must disagree that the MS Press books are crap.... I studied them
completely during my MCSD .Net path (okay, for 70-300 I needed an extra book
besides the MS Press and the ONLY other was an Exam Cram), and read over
9200+ pages.

As far as more ADO/Security topics, that gets a little tricky if you don't
want to buy specialized books. Frankly, I think your best bet is to look at
some articles on msdn.microsoft.com... some good security ones might be able
"SQL Injection", "Least privilege code", and there is the Implementing
Security For Web Applications (Best Practices book) which is completely free
and available online! Although you have to read it online, that book has
a lot of great information in it!!! I read the whole thing.... It is
somewhere under the "Best Practices" library or something like that... Hope
this helps!!!!!

--

Joseph Bittman
Microsoft Certified Solution Developer

Blog/Web Site: http://71.39.42.23/

"Simon Hart" <srhartone@[no spam]yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I am preparing for my scheduled 70-316 exam v.soon. I currently have
> MCAD/MCSD.NET Que book by Amit Kalani which is absolutely fantastic. I
> also have C# 2nd Edition by Wrox Press which is good maybe a little too
> subject focused at times, but I know this book was not written with the
> intention of passing 70-316.
>
> Does anyone have any other good book recommendations that are designed for
> the above exam. I heard the MS Press books are crap, not sure how true
> this is though as I have never read any of them.
>
> I am particulay interested in books that cover more security related
> subject and a little more advanced features of ADO.NET but of course do
> not want to buy a door step book which just covers solid ADO.NET or .NET
> security!
>
> Many thanks
> Simon.

Simon Hart

Excellent Joseph, thanks again for your valued input!

Regards
Simon.

"Joseph Bittman MVP MCSD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> January 9, 2005
>
> I must disagree that the MS Press books are crap.... I studied them
> completely during my MCSD .Net path (okay, for 70-300 I needed an extra
> book besides the MS Press and the ONLY other was an Exam Cram), and read
> over 9200+ pages.
>
> As far as more ADO/Security topics, that gets a little tricky if you don't
> want to buy specialized books. Frankly, I think your best bet is to look
> at some articles on msdn.microsoft.com... some good security ones might be
> able "SQL Injection", "Least privilege code", and there is the
> Implementing Security For Web Applications (Best Practices book) which is
> completely free and available online! Although you have to read it
> online, that book has a lot of great information in it!!! I read the
> whole thing.... It is somewhere under the "Best Practices" library or
> something like that... Hope this helps!!!!!
>
> --
>
> Joseph Bittman
> Microsoft Certified Solution Developer
> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional -- DPM
>
> Blog/Web Site: http://71.39.42.23/
>

> "Simon Hart" <srhartone@[no spam]yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am preparing for my scheduled 70-316 exam v.soon. I currently have
>> MCAD/MCSD.NET Que book by Amit Kalani which is absolutely fantastic. I
>> also have C# 2nd Edition by Wrox Press which is good maybe a little too
>> subject focused at times, but I know this book was not written with the
>> intention of passing 70-316.
>>
>> Does anyone have any other good book recommendations that are designed
>> for the above exam. I heard the MS Press books are crap, not sure how
>> true this is though as I have never read any of them.
>>
>> I am particulay interested in books that cover more security related
>> subject and a little more advanced features of ADO.NET but of course do
>> not want to buy a door step book which just covers solid ADO.NET or .NET
>> security!
>>
>> Many thanks
>> Simon.

Simon Hart

I have the larger Amit Kalani book somewhat 1100 pages, and I'ved read every
one of them! Is it worth purchasing exam cram as well? I understand its a
less comprehensive book. I'm thinking buy the book mainly for the short
tests.

Cheers
Simon.

"Joseph Bittman MVP MCSD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> January 9, 2005
>
> I must disagree that the MS Press books are crap.... I studied them
> completely during my MCSD .Net path (okay, for 70-300 I needed an extra
> book besides the MS Press and the ONLY other was an Exam Cram), and read
> over 9200+ pages.
>
> As far as more ADO/Security topics, that gets a little tricky if you don't
> want to buy specialized books. Frankly, I think your best bet is to look
> at some articles on msdn.microsoft.com... some good security ones might be
> able "SQL Injection", "Least privilege code", and there is the
> Implementing Security For Web Applications (Best Practices book) which is
> completely free and available online! Although you have to read it
> online, that book has a lot of great information in it!!! I read the
> whole thing.... It is somewhere under the "Best Practices" library or
> something like that... Hope this helps!!!!!
>
> --
>
> Joseph Bittman
> Microsoft Certified Solution Developer
> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional -- DPM
>
> Blog/Web Site: http://71.39.42.23/
>

> "Simon Hart" <srhartone@[no spam]yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am preparing for my scheduled 70-316 exam v.soon. I currently have
>> MCAD/MCSD.NET Que book by Amit Kalani which is absolutely fantastic. I
>> also have C# 2nd Edition by Wrox Press which is good maybe a little too
>> subject focused at times, but I know this book was not written with the
>> intention of passing 70-316.
>>
>> Does anyone have any other good book recommendations that are designed
>> for the above exam. I heard the MS Press books are crap, not sure how
>> true this is though as I have never read any of them.
>>
>> I am particulay interested in books that cover more security related
>> subject and a little more advanced features of ADO.NET but of course do
>> not want to buy a door step book which just covers solid ADO.NET or .NET
>> security!
>>
>> Many thanks
>> Simon.

Joseph Bittman MVP MCSD

January 9, 2005

I think I missed something.... are you saying you found an 1100 page book
for 70-300? If so, I sure wish I would have found that when I took it! -
Probably you don't need to buy the exam cram, if it is 1100 pages.

--

Joseph Bittman
Microsoft Certified Solution Developer

Blog/Web Site: http://71.39.42.23/

"Simon Hart" <srhartone@[no spam]yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have the larger Amit Kalani book somewhat 1100 pages, and I'ved read
>every one of them! Is it worth purchasing exam cram as well? I understand
>its a less comprehensive book. I'm thinking buy the book mainly for the
>short tests.
>
> Cheers
> Simon.
>

> "Joseph Bittman MVP MCSD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> January 9, 2005
>>
>> I must disagree that the MS Press books are crap.... I studied them
>> completely during my MCSD .Net path (okay, for 70-300 I needed an extra
>> book besides the MS Press and the ONLY other was an Exam Cram), and read
>> over 9200+ pages.
>>
>> As far as more ADO/Security topics, that gets a little tricky if you
>> don't want to buy specialized books. Frankly, I think your best bet is to
>> look at some articles on msdn.microsoft.com... some good security ones
>> might be able "SQL Injection", "Least privilege code", and there is the
>> Implementing Security For Web Applications (Best Practices book) which is
>> completely free and available online! Although you have to read it
>> online, that book has a lot of great information in it!!! I read the
>> whole thing.... It is somewhere under the "Best Practices" library or
>> something like that... Hope this helps!!!!!
>>
>> --
>>
>> Joseph Bittman
>> Microsoft Certified Solution Developer
>> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional -- DPM
>>
>> Blog/Web Site: http://71.39.42.23/
>>

>> "Simon Hart" <srhartone@[no spam]yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am preparing for my scheduled 70-316 exam v.soon. I currently have
>>> MCAD/MCSD.NET Que book by Amit Kalani which is absolutely fantastic. I
>>> also have C# 2nd Edition by Wrox Press which is good maybe a little too
>>> subject focused at times, but I know this book was not written with the
>>> intention of passing 70-316.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any other good book recommendations that are designed
>>> for the above exam. I heard the MS Press books are crap, not sure how
>>> true this is though as I have never read any of them.
>>>
>>> I am particulay interested in books that cover more security related
>>> subject and a little more advanced features of ADO.NET but of course do
>>> not want to buy a door step book which just covers solid ADO.NET or .NET
>>> security!
>>>
>>> Many thanks
>>> Simon.

Simon Hart

I was talking about 70-316 not 70-300. Yes its 1100 pages. It's like a door
step! Plus I have Wrox Press C# 2nd edition which is around 600 pages (I
think).
I was thinking the more books I read, the more likely I will pass.

"Joseph Bittman MVP MCSD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> January 9, 2005
>
> I think I missed something.... are you saying you found an 1100 page book
> for 70-300? If so, I sure wish I would have found that when I took
> it! - Probably you don't need to buy the exam cram, if it is 1100 pages.
>
> --
>
> Joseph Bittman
> Microsoft Certified Solution Developer
> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional -- DPM
>
> Blog/Web Site: http://71.39.42.23/
>

> "Simon Hart" <srhartone@[no spam]yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have the larger Amit Kalani book somewhat 1100 pages, and I'ved read
>>every one of them! Is it worth purchasing exam cram as well? I understand
>>its a less comprehensive book. I'm thinking buy the book mainly for the
>>short tests.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Simon.
>>

>> "Joseph Bittman MVP MCSD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> January 9, 2005
>>>
>>> I must disagree that the MS Press books are crap.... I studied them
>>> completely during my MCSD .Net path (okay, for 70-300 I needed an extra
>>> book besides the MS Press and the ONLY other was an Exam Cram), and read
>>> over 9200+ pages.
>>>
>>> As far as more ADO/Security topics, that gets a little tricky if you
>>> don't want to buy specialized books. Frankly, I think your best bet is
>>> to look at some articles on msdn.microsoft.com... some good security
>>> ones might be able "SQL Injection", "Least privilege code", and there is
>>> the Implementing Security For Web Applications (Best Practices book)
>>> which is completely free and available online! Although you have to
>>> read it online, that book has a lot of great information in it!!! I
>>> read the whole thing.... It is somewhere under the "Best Practices"
>>> library or something like that... Hope this helps!!!!!
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Joseph Bittman
>>> Microsoft Certified Solution Developer
>>> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional -- DPM
>>>
>>> Blog/Web Site: http://71.39.42.23/
>>>

>>> "Simon Hart" <srhartone@[no spam]yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Joseph Bittman MVP MCSD

January 9, 2005

Yes, the more you read the more likely you will pass..... I think if
you read those books, you definitely have 'prepared' enough. I think I read
about 1300 pages for 70-306. - I don't think you need to buy & read Exam
Cram.

I think this answered your question? - If not, let me know... lol I've gone
too long without taking a break and my memory is failing slightly ....

--

Joseph Bittman
Microsoft Certified Solution Developer

Blog/Web Site: http://71.39.42.23/

"Simon Hart" <srhartone@[no spam]yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was talking about 70-316 not 70-300. Yes its 1100 pages. It's like a door
>step! Plus I have Wrox Press C# 2nd edition which is around 600 pages (I
>think).
> I was thinking the more books I read, the more likely I will pass.
>
> "Joseph Bittman MVP MCSD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> January 9, 2005
>>
>> I think I missed something.... are you saying you found an 1100 page book
>> for 70-300? If so, I sure wish I would have found that when I took
>> it! - Probably you don't need to buy the exam cram, if it is 1100 pages.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Joseph Bittman
>> Microsoft Certified Solution Developer
>> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional -- DPM
>>
>> Blog/Web Site: http://71.39.42.23/
>>

>> "Simon Hart" <srhartone@[no spam]yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I have the larger Amit Kalani book somewhat 1100 pages, and I'ved read
>>>every one of them! Is it worth purchasing exam cram as well? I understand
>>>its a less comprehensive book. I'm thinking buy the book mainly for the
>>>short tests.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Simon.
>>>

>>> "Joseph Bittman MVP MCSD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Simon Hart

You have answered great, thank you. Take your long deserved break!