Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCAD > Just one book for 70-340

Just one book for 70-340

marc.cueto@gmail.com

I've done the 70-315 and 70-320 exams and for both exams I've used the
Que books written by Kalani. I plan to do the 70-340 exam and was
wondering, is there a one-stop book that I can study from for the exam?
>From what i've seen most people recommend more than one book...

Thanks

Cerebrus99

Hi,

I'm studying for the same exam on the way to my MCSD. I have been able
to find only one book which directly deals with the exam, and that is :
"MCAD/MCSD Self-Paced Training Kit: Implementing Security for
Applications with
Microsft Visual Basic .NET and Microsoft Visual C# .NET" BY Tony
Northrup.
(MS Press).

Microsoft also recommends that you read the book "Writing Secure Code
BY Michael Howard, David LeBlanc.--2nd ed."(MS Press)
(Make sure that you get the 2nd edition only, since the 1st edition
hardly has any material on .NET applications.)

The latter book is of a more generalized nature and doesn't deal with
the exam as such. It concentrates more on Best practices for Secure
coding. Chapter 18 in this book will probably be where the real stuff
that concerns you for this exam will be found.

For most exams, I have consulted more than one book, but for this one,
there is definitely a scarcity of good books out there. Please let me
know if you find any other books relevant for this exam.

Hope this helps...

Regards,

Ayoosh J.
MCP, MCAD.

Mok

Ok thanks. That's really odd. I guess I've been fortunate then. For the
other exams I only studied from one book.. Although Microsoft
recommends,"Writing Secure Code
BY Michael Howard, David LeBlanc.--2nd ed." is it a good book and just
how relevant is it towards the exam? Is it one of those books where I
will pay a lot for it and just use 1 chapter?

Marc

Cerebrus99

Hi Mok,

As I said "Writing Secure Code" is a general book. It's not very
relevant to this particular exam. It is targeted towards changing the
mindset of developers in general, so they start writing code with
security features, pitfalls and possible vulnerabilities in mind. Most
of the book gives examples in C++ and deals with vulnerabilities when
programming in earlier languages.

The .NET Framework, however, has been created to circumvent most of the
problems, and provides effective methods to minimize other
vulnerabilities.

So, If you want to dive into preparations for the exam, go for the
first book(Self-paced training kit). If you have all the time in the
world (!!), only then read this one.

As for the cost of the book, I'm not sure, since I borrowed it from a
friend.

Regards,

Ayoosh J.
MCP, MCAD.

Mok

Thanks a lot. I actually ordered both. Even though "Writing Secure
Code" is a general book, I figure I'll just read it on my own time. At
the very least i'll be more knowledgeable on the topic. Thanks for you
time.

Marc

Cerebrus99

You're most welcome, Marc. And best of luck for the exam...