Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCAD > Long time without programming

Long time without programming

Kike

I always wanted to do the MSCAD but its been 5 years without programming...
what can i do? i really need a Certification, how can i start... Anyhelp will
be great..

Thanks.
--
"Siempre lo que pasa es lo Mejor"

Blackmetal

What it will happen, is maybe you will learn the technology and pass the
exams, but if you don't have real experience, it will be hard to find a job

"Kike" <(E-Mail Removed)(donotspam)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I always wanted to do the MSCAD but its been 5 years without programming...
> what can i do? i really need a Certification, how can i start... Anyhelp
> will
> be great..
>
> Thanks.
> --
> "Siempre lo que pasa es lo Mejor"

EggHead

He did not say he is not in s/w, may be he is in PM or R&D now
All you need are the MS press books, studying them, and you should be able
to pass the MCAD exam.
Egghead

"Blackmetal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What it will happen, is maybe you will learn the technology and pass the
> exams, but if you don't have real experience, it will be hard to find a
> job
>
> "Kike" <(E-Mail Removed)(donotspam)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I always wanted to do the MSCAD but its been 5 years without
>>programming...
>> what can i do? i really need a Certification, how can i start... Anyhelp
>> will
>> be great..
>>
>> Thanks.
>> --
>> "Siempre lo que pasa es lo Mejor"

Gustavo Ringel

I understand someone would not get a job, even an interview only because he
passed an exam.

In my case I worked two years with VB6 in the past, i'm working now with
Magic (4GL language) and a litlle bit in C++Builder.

I'm wanting to move on .NET and i want to have a wildcard to get interviews
even if I have to start as a junior programmer. May the MCAD help me in this
objective or i'm going through the wrong path?

I have experience int .NET but it is personal jobs and no job experience so
it's difficult to prove it...

Thanks.

Gustavo.

"EggHead" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> He did not say he is not in s/w, may be he is in PM or R&D now
> All you need are the MS press books, studying them, and you should be able
> to pass the MCAD exam.
> Egghead
>
> "Blackmetal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What it will happen, is maybe you will learn the technology and pass the
>> exams, but if you don't have real experience, it will be hard to find a
>> job
>>
>> "Kike" <(E-Mail Removed)(donotspam)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I always wanted to do the MSCAD but its been 5 years without
>>>programming...
>>> what can i do? i really need a Certification, how can i start... Anyhelp
>>> will
>>> be great..
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>> --
>>> "Siempre lo que pasa es lo Mejor"

Sean

I got MCAD for the same reasons and just now starting to look for work so I
don’t know if it will help or not.

What fume’s me is this concept that actual work experience is always without
question better then education. I did CADD drafting for 13 years and I
learned more about CADD taking a few classes at a junior college then I ever
learned or needed to know about CADD in the 13 years I did it.
My job was well structured and in all honesty a trained monkey could do it.
So everything I learned in those 13 years (industry specific or software
specific) I learned by reading. Now I don’t know why reading on the clock at
work is magically different then reading at home but to me the material is
exactly the same.

I feel this way about classes too, if it’s written down, I don’t need a
teacher. I might need someone to ask specific questions to but that is what
web forums are for.

So that is my rant and that is why I personally feel MCAD is FAR more
valuable then the industry gives it credit for. It covers more material then
some developers will ever know in a life time unless they self teach
themselves.

"Gustavo Ringel" wrote:

> I understand someone would not get a job, even an interview only because he
> passed an exam.
>
> In my case I worked two years with VB6 in the past, i'm working now with
> Magic (4GL language) and a litlle bit in C++Builder.
>
> I'm wanting to move on .NET and i want to have a wildcard to get interviews
> even if I have to start as a junior programmer. May the MCAD help me in this
> objective or i'm going through the wrong path?
>
> I have experience int .NET but it is personal jobs and no job experience so
> it's difficult to prove it...
>
> Thanks.
>
> Gustavo.
>
> "EggHead" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > He did not say he is not in s/w, may be he is in PM or R&D now
> > All you need are the MS press books, studying them, and you should be able
> > to pass the MCAD exam.
> > Egghead
> >
> > "Blackmetal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> What it will happen, is maybe you will learn the technology and pass the
> >> exams, but if you don't have real experience, it will be hard to find a
> >> job
> >>
> >> "Kike" <(E-Mail Removed)(donotspam)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Gustavo Ringel

Hi John I agree with you, but this isn't a perfect world...I hope you and I
get something from this path. I saw in another discussion that you have
practice questions. Can you shared them with me? Which material did you
learn from?

Thanks.

Gustavo.

"Sean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I got MCAD for the same reasons and just now starting to look for work so I
> dont know if it will help or not.
>
> What fumes me is this concept that actual work experience is always
> without
> question better then education. I did CADD drafting for 13 years and I
> learned more about CADD taking a few classes at a junior college then I
> ever
> learned or needed to know about CADD in the 13 years I did it.
> My job was well structured and in all honesty a trained monkey could do
> it.
> So everything I learned in those 13 years (industry specific or software
> specific) I learned by reading. Now I dont know why reading on the clock
> at
> work is magically different then reading at home but to me the material is
> exactly the same.
>
> I feel this way about classes too, if its written down, I dont need a
> teacher. I might need someone to ask specific questions to but that is
> what
> web forums are for.
>
> So that is my rant and that is why I personally feel MCAD is FAR more
> valuable then the industry gives it credit for. It covers more material
> then
> some developers will ever know in a life time unless they self teach
> themselves.
>

> "Gustavo Ringel" wrote:
>
>> I understand someone would not get a job, even an interview only because
>> he
>> passed an exam.
>>
>> In my case I worked two years with VB6 in the past, i'm working now with
>> Magic (4GL language) and a litlle bit in C++Builder.
>>
>> I'm wanting to move on .NET and i want to have a wildcard to get
>> interviews
>> even if I have to start as a junior programmer. May the MCAD help me in
>> this
>> objective or i'm going through the wrong path?
>>
>> I have experience int .NET but it is personal jobs and no job experience
>> so
>> it's difficult to prove it...
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Gustavo.
>>
>> "EggHead" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > He did not say he is not in s/w, may be he is in PM or R&D now
>> > All you need are the MS press books, studying them, and you should be
>> > able
>> > to pass the MCAD exam.
>> > Egghead
>> >
>> > "Blackmetal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Sean

Just questions from the Exam Cram books and Microsoft assestment site

such as this one.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

almost required reading for the exams if nothing more then to have a good
understanding of what topics are covered in some detail more then the website
gives.

The real exams are similar to the harder questions in these books. The
questions do in fact, give you a good idea of what to expect in general terms.

"Gustavo Ringel" wrote:

> Hi John I agree with you, but this isn't a perfect world...I hope you and I
> get something from this path. I saw in another discussion that you have
> practice questions. Can you shared them with me? Which material did you
> learn from?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Gustavo.
>

> "Sean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I got MCAD for the same reasons and just now starting to look for work so I
> > don’t know if it will help or not.
> >
> > What fume’s me is this concept that actual work experience is always
> > without
> > question better then education. I did CADD drafting for 13 years and I
> > learned more about CADD taking a few classes at a junior college then I
> > ever
> > learned or needed to know about CADD in the 13 years I did it.
> > My job was well structured and in all honesty a trained monkey could do
> > it.
> > So everything I learned in those 13 years (industry specific or software
> > specific) I learned by reading. Now I don’t know why reading on the clock
> > at
> > work is magically different then reading at home but to me the material is
> > exactly the same.
> >
> > I feel this way about classes too, if it’s written down, I don’t need a
> > teacher. I might need someone to ask specific questions to but that is
> > what
> > web forums are for.
> >
> > So that is my rant and that is why I personally feel MCAD is FAR more
> > valuable then the industry gives it credit for. It covers more material
> > then
> > some developers will ever know in a life time unless they self teach
> > themselves.
> >

> > "Gustavo Ringel" wrote:
> >
> >> I understand someone would not get a job, even an interview only because
> >> he
> >> passed an exam.
> >>
> >> In my case I worked two years with VB6 in the past, i'm working now with
> >> Magic (4GL language) and a litlle bit in C++Builder.
> >>
> >> I'm wanting to move on .NET and i want to have a wildcard to get
> >> interviews
> >> even if I have to start as a junior programmer. May the MCAD help me in
> >> this
> >> objective or i'm going through the wrong path?
> >>
> >> I have experience int .NET but it is personal jobs and no job experience
> >> so
> >> it's difficult to prove it...
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> Gustavo.
> >>
> >> "EggHead" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Gustavo Ringel

Thanks. I hope you a good start in programming!

"Sean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just questions from the Exam Cram books and Microsoft assestment site
>
> such as this one.
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846
>
> almost required reading for the exams if nothing more then to have a good
> understanding of what topics are covered in some detail more then the
> website
> gives.
>
> The real exams are similar to the harder questions in these books. The
> questions do in fact, give you a good idea of what to expect in general
> terms.
>
> "Gustavo Ringel" wrote:
>
>> Hi John I agree with you, but this isn't a perfect world...I hope you and
>> get something from this path. I saw in another discussion that you have
>> practice questions. Can you shared them with me? Which material did you
>> learn from?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Gustavo.
>>

>> "Sean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I got MCAD for the same reasons and just now starting to look for work
>> >so I
>> > dont know if it will help or not.
>> >
>> > What fumes me is this concept that actual work experience is always
>> > without
>> > question better then education. I did CADD drafting for 13 years and I
>> > learned more about CADD taking a few classes at a junior college then I
>> > ever
>> > learned or needed to know about CADD in the 13 years I did it.
>> > My job was well structured and in all honesty a trained monkey could do
>> > it.
>> > So everything I learned in those 13 years (industry specific or
>> > software
>> > specific) I learned by reading. Now I dont know why reading on the
>> > clock
>> > at
>> > work is magically different then reading at home but to me the material
>> > is
>> > exactly the same.
>> >
>> > I feel this way about classes too, if its written down, I dont need a
>> > teacher. I might need someone to ask specific questions to but that is
>> > what
>> > web forums are for.
>> >
>> > So that is my rant and that is why I personally feel MCAD is FAR more
>> > valuable then the industry gives it credit for. It covers more material
>> > then
>> > some developers will ever know in a life time unless they self teach
>> > themselves.

Sean

I wanted to wait until I actually (if) got the job but basically I got a real
good interview for a job which required a degree. However my recuiter decided
to submit it and the employer was very pleased becuase of my certification
and projects.

"Gustavo Ringel" wrote:

> Thanks. I hope you a good start in programming!
>
> "Sean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Just questions from the Exam Cram books and Microsoft assestment site
> >
> > such as this one.
> > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846
> >
> > almost required reading for the exams if nothing more then to have a good
> > understanding of what topics are covered in some detail more then the
> > website
> > gives.
> >
> > The real exams are similar to the harder questions in these books. The
> > questions do in fact, give you a good idea of what to expect in general
> > terms.
> >
> > "Gustavo Ringel" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi John I agree with you, but this isn't a perfect world...I hope you and
> >> get something from this path. I saw in another discussion that you have
> >> practice questions. Can you shared them with me? Which material did you
> >> learn from?
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> Gustavo.
> >>

> >> "Sean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

bobbobbins

I totally agree with you Sean. It get's on my nerves that I can't even get
an interview without on the job experience!