Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCAD > HELP!!!

HELP!!!

aaron

I dont know if this fits in the group, but I have an 10 year old computer and
it has Window 3.1. I have 2 probles with the computer to. 1, the screen
doesnt work and 2, the HD is 210 MB and the RAM is 4MB. Can I put Windows NT
on my computer? Please help!

Saga

NT requires at least 92 MB of RAM..

My advice is to keep your current PC with Win3.1 and
get a different one for the NT OS, even better, if NT
is not a strict requirement, go with at least W2000.

You can buy a PC for $300 that is much better than what
you have now. You did not mention how fast you PC is, but
from the description, I guess it could be maybe 100MHz???

Good luck
Saga

PS: you are right, this is definitely not the right ng

"aaron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I dont know if this fits in the group, but I have an 10 year old
>computer and
> it has Window 3.1. I have 2 probles with the computer to. 1, the
> screen
> doesnt work and 2, the HD is 210 MB and the RAM is 4MB. Can I put
> Windows NT
> on my computer? Please help!

Onin Tayson

WOW! it's probably a 66MHz or lower!!!

"Saga" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> NT requires at least 92 MB of RAM..
>
> My advice is to keep your current PC with Win3.1 and
> get a different one for the NT OS, even better, if NT
> is not a strict requirement, go with at least W2000.
>
> You can buy a PC for $300 that is much better than what
> you have now. You did not mention how fast you PC is, but
> from the description, I guess it could be maybe 100MHz???
>
> Good luck
> Saga
>
> PS: you are right, this is definitely not the right ng
>
> "aaron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I dont know if this fits in the group, but I have an 10 year old computer
>>and
>> it has Window 3.1. I have 2 probles with the computer to. 1, the screen
>> doesnt work and 2, the HD is 210 MB and the RAM is 4MB. Can I put
>> Windows NT
>> on my computer? Please help!

bob

The minimum amount of RAM to install windows NT is 12MB for Workstation and
16MB for server.
The minimum amount of RAM to run Windows NT is 4MB.
(I remember teaching this as a technique to find out which 4MB memory stick
was faulty - you keep reducing the amount of RAM and set the
MAXMEM parameter in boot.ini until you work out which stick is faulty)

"Onin Tayson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> WOW! it's probably a 66MHz or lower!!!
>
> "Saga" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >

> > NT requires at least 92 MB of RAM..
> >
> > My advice is to keep your current PC with Win3.1 and
> > get a different one for the NT OS, even better, if NT
> > is not a strict requirement, go with at least W2000.
> >
> > You can buy a PC for $300 that is much better than what
> > you have now. You did not mention how fast you PC is, but
> > from the description, I guess it could be maybe 100MHz???
> >
> > Good luck
> > Saga
> >
> > PS: you are right, this is definitely not the right ng
> >
> > "aaron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>I dont know if this fits in the group, but I have an 10 year old

computer
> >>and
> >> it has Window 3.1. I have 2 probles with the computer to. 1, the screen
> >> doesnt work and 2, the HD is 210 MB and the RAM is 4MB. Can I put
> >> Windows NT
> >> on my computer? Please help!

Roger

Garbage, buy a new one, keep the monitor if you so attached to it

Roger