Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCAD > Cheap asp.net web host?

Cheap asp.net web host?

Thush

I am looking for an asp.net host to try out what I learn.
I am not looking for a high performance server.
Just a normal server which supports asp.net and which is cheap.

Can any one give me some good suggestions?
Better yet, are there any good review sites for asp.net hosting?
Most of the review sites I get from google are bogus (or at least they look
like that).

Thanks for your help
Thush

Victor Guillen

In my personal case, I'm using www.GoDaddy.com, they're cheap, support .NET,
Access DB, SQL Server, and a generous disk space. I would recommend to go
and check it out and you'll have a better idea.

"Thush" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am looking for an asp.net host to try out what I learn.
> I am not looking for a high performance server.
> Just a normal server which supports asp.net and which is cheap.
>
> Can any one give me some good suggestions?
> Better yet, are there any good review sites for asp.net hosting?
> Most of the review sites I get from google are bogus (or at least they
> look
> like that).
>
> Thanks for your help
> Thush

EggHead

If all you want to do is try out what you learn, why not host IIS and the
database yourself?
You can learn a lot most like this, and it is Mickey Mouse to setup the
server

Egghead

"Victor Guillen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> In my personal case, I'm using www.GoDaddy.com, they're cheap, support
> .NET, Access DB, SQL Server, and a generous disk space. I would recommend
> to go and check it out and you'll have a better idea.
>
> "Thush" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I am looking for an asp.net host to try out what I learn.
>> I am not looking for a high performance server.
>> Just a normal server which supports asp.net and which is cheap.
>>
>> Can any one give me some good suggestions?
>> Better yet, are there any good review sites for asp.net hosting?
>> Most of the review sites I get from google are bogus (or at least they
>> look
>> like that).
>>
>> Thanks for your help
>> Thush

Victor Guillen

That's other option. I told that because I have a live website already, but
there some differences when you work with your own network and with a
hosting company, examples:

1. Connection to the database
2. If they set up any kind of structure to host the site
just to mention a few

I really work with both, the live website and my own network. setup IIS is
really easy (of course, if you know how to do it, is not just a matter of
click the mouse several times, you must know what you're doing)

"EggHead" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If all you want to do is try out what you learn, why not host IIS and the
> database yourself?
> You can learn a lot most like this, and it is Mickey Mouse to setup the
> server
>
> Egghead
>
> "Victor Guillen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In my personal case, I'm using www.GoDaddy.com, they're cheap, support
>> .NET, Access DB, SQL Server, and a generous disk space. I would recommend
>> to go and check it out and you'll have a better idea.
>>
>> "Thush" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I am looking for an asp.net host to try out what I learn.
>>> I am not looking for a high performance server.
>>> Just a normal server which supports asp.net and which is cheap.
>>>
>>> Can any one give me some good suggestions?
>>> Better yet, are there any good review sites for asp.net hosting?
>>> Most of the review sites I get from google are bogus (or at least they
>>> look
>>> like that).
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help
>>> Thush

EggHead

Of course, it is different between hosting your own web server and using
hosting company. However, I think people can learn a lot more to host their
own web server.
haha, after all, it is M$ stuff, most of the base stuff can be done by few
mouse clicks

Egghead

"Victor Guillen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> That's other option. I told that because I have a live website already,
> but there some differences when you work with your own network and with a
> hosting company, examples:
>
> 1. Connection to the database
> 2. If they set up any kind of structure to host the site
> just to mention a few
>
> I really work with both, the live website and my own network. setup IIS is
> really easy (of course, if you know how to do it, is not just a matter of
> click the mouse several times, you must know what you're doing)
>

> "EggHead" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If all you want to do is try out what you learn, why not host IIS and the
>> database yourself?
>> You can learn a lot most like this, and it is Mickey Mouse to setup the
>> server
>>
>> Egghead
>>
>> "Victor Guillen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> In my personal case, I'm using www.GoDaddy.com, they're cheap, support
>>> .NET, Access DB, SQL Server, and a generous disk space. I would
>>> recommend to go and check it out and you'll have a better idea.
>>>
>>> "Thush" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Victor Guillen

Yeah bro, just some clicks, but at least, you should know why are you
setting the server, just to mention something: default documents, go to the
documents tab and add the "index.aspx" or "default.aspx" if they don't
exist. I mean, is easy, but at least must know those "basics", as you say

"EggHead" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Of course, it is different between hosting your own web server and using
> hosting company. However, I think people can learn a lot more to host
> their own web server.
> haha, after all, it is M$ stuff, most of the base stuff can be done by few
> mouse clicks
>
> Egghead
>

> "Victor Guillen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> That's other option. I told that because I have a live website already,
>> but there some differences when you work with your own network and with a
>> hosting company, examples:
>>
>> 1. Connection to the database
>> 2. If they set up any kind of structure to host the site
>> just to mention a few
>>
>> I really work with both, the live website and my own network. setup IIS
>> is really easy (of course, if you know how to do it, is not just a matter
>> of click the mouse several times, you must know what you're doing)
>>

>> "EggHead" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> If all you want to do is try out what you learn, why not host IIS and
>>> the database yourself?
>>> You can learn a lot most like this, and it is Mickey Mouse to setup the
>>> server
>>>
>>> Egghead
>>>
>>> "Victor Guillen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Thush

Thanks guys!
Yes, of course I have my own IIS and database...
But I like to put it on the net... (yes, to show off my skills (or lack of
it) ) )

Btw, is Brinkster still providing free asp.net hosting for developer as
mentioned in MS Self Paced book? I tried it but couldn't get the app to run.

Thanks.
/ Thush

"EggHead" wrote:

> If all you want to do is try out what you learn, why not host IIS and the
> database yourself?
> You can learn a lot most like this, and it is Mickey Mouse to setup the
> server
>
> Egghead
>
> "Victor Guillen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In my personal case, I'm using www.GoDaddy.com, they're cheap, support
> > .NET, Access DB, SQL Server, and a generous disk space. I would recommend
> > to go and check it out and you'll have a better idea.
> >
> > "Thush" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>I am looking for an asp.net host to try out what I learn.
> >> I am not looking for a high performance server.
> >> Just a normal server which supports asp.net and which is cheap.
> >>
> >> Can any one give me some good suggestions?
> >> Better yet, are there any good review sites for asp.net hosting?
> >> Most of the review sites I get from google are bogus (or at least they
> >> look
> >> like that).
> >>
> >> Thanks for your help
> >> Thush

Victor Guillen

I believe that is a trial period, but not free at all

"Thush" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks guys!
> Yes, of course I have my own IIS and database...
> But I like to put it on the net... (yes, to show off my skills (or lack of
> it) ) )
>
> Btw, is Brinkster still providing free asp.net hosting for developer as
> mentioned in MS Self Paced book? I tried it but couldn't get the app to
> run.
>
> Thanks.
> / Thush
>

> "EggHead" wrote:
>
>> If all you want to do is try out what you learn, why not host IIS and the
>> database yourself?
>> You can learn a lot most like this, and it is Mickey Mouse to setup the
>> server
>>
>> Egghead
>>
>> "Victor Guillen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > In my personal case, I'm using www.GoDaddy.com, they're cheap, support
>> > .NET, Access DB, SQL Server, and a generous disk space. I would
>> > recommend
>> > to go and check it out and you'll have a better idea.
>> >
>> > "Thush" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Marc M

Try the education package
http://www.brinkster.com/Hosting/Educational.aspx