Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCAD > Problem building windows services

Problem building windows services

lonelyplanet

Hi,

I'm studying 70-310 exam using reference book MCAD/MCSD - XML Web
Services and Server Components Development with Visual Basic .NET by Mc
Graw Hill.

In the book there was one exercise listed with steps to create windows
service. I followed below steps to create an event logger service:

1. Create the windows service project.
2. Modify the default code to cater for event logger's logic.
3. Build the window service with build solution menu option.
4. Add Installer the project. Build the project again.
5. Add Setup and Deployment project, follow steps to set project output
& custom actions settings. Build the deployment project.
6. Install the service by executing the .msi file created in 5.

I found below warning message by step 5.

------ Rebuild All started: Project: ServiceOne, Configuration: Debug
..NET ------

Preparing resources...
Updating references...
Performing main compilation...
Building satellite assemblies...

------ Starting pre-build validation for project 'ServiceOneSetup'
------
------ Pre-build validation for project 'ServiceOneSetup' completed
------
------ Rebuild All started: Project: ServiceOneSetup, Configuration:
Debug ------

Building file 'D:\VB\ServiceOneSetup\Debug\ServiceOneSetup.msi'. ..
WARNING: This setup does not contain the .NET Framework which must be
installed on the target machine by running dotnetfx.exe before this
setup will install. You can find dotnetfx.exe on the Visual Studio .NET
'Windows Components Update' media. Dotnetfx.exe can be redistributed
with your setup.
Packaging file 'InstMsiW.Exe'...
Packaging file 'InstMsiA.Exe'...
Packaging file 'Setup.Exe'...
Packaging file 'ServiceOne.exe'...

---------------------- Done ----------------------

Rebuild All: 2 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 skipped

In attempt to eliminate the warning, I executed Visual Studio .NET
'Windows Components Update' from my copy of Visual Studio .NET
Enterprise Architect Version 2002. The update program did .NET
Framework update as expected. Then I attempted step 5 again but the
same warning message appeared.

I would like to know why the builder program still said .NET Framework
was not installed ?

Raja

The builder program is not saying that .Net framework is not installed. It's
just alerting you to the fact that .Net framework setup is not bundled with
the setup program that you're building. So, if the target machine does not
have the framework installed, then you need to install it separately and then
run your setup.exe. This has nothing to do with the machine on which you're
building the setup program (When you install Visual Studio, .Net framework is
automatically installed)

So, unless you want to install the latest framework version, you don't have
to run the components setup CD ! Also, check out the exercise at the end of
Chapter 13 in Que Cert's Windows or Web exam book. There's an exercise that
shows you how to bundle the .Net framework bootstrapper with your setup
program. This will install the framework, if the target m/c does not already
have it.

Hope this answers your question !

"lonelyplanet" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm studying 70-310 exam using reference book MCAD/MCSD - XML Web
> Services and Server Components Development with Visual Basic .NET by Mc
> Graw Hill.
>
> In the book there was one exercise listed with steps to create windows
> service. I followed below steps to create an event logger service:
>
> 1. Create the windows service project.
> 2. Modify the default code to cater for event logger's logic.
> 3. Build the window service with build solution menu option.
> 4. Add Installer the project. Build the project again.
> 5. Add Setup and Deployment project, follow steps to set project output
> & custom actions settings. Build the deployment project.
> 6. Install the service by executing the .msi file created in 5.
>
> I found below warning message by step 5.
>
> ------ Rebuild All started: Project: ServiceOne, Configuration: Debug
> ..NET ------
>
> Preparing resources...
> Updating references...
> Performing main compilation...
> Building satellite assemblies...
>

> ------ Starting pre-build validation for project 'ServiceOneSetup'
> ------
> ------ Pre-build validation for project 'ServiceOneSetup' completed
> ------
> ------ Rebuild All started: Project: ServiceOneSetup, Configuration:
> Debug ------
>
> Building file 'D:\VB\ServiceOneSetup\Debug\ServiceOneSetup.msi'. ..
> WARNING: This setup does not contain the .NET Framework which must be
> installed on the target machine by running dotnetfx.exe before this
> setup will install. You can find dotnetfx.exe on the Visual Studio .NET
> 'Windows Components Update' media. Dotnetfx.exe can be redistributed
> with your setup.
> Packaging file 'InstMsiW.Exe'...
> Packaging file 'InstMsiA.Exe'...
> Packaging file 'Setup.Exe'...
> Packaging file 'ServiceOne.exe'...
>

> ---------------------- Done ----------------------
>
> Rebuild All: 2 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 skipped
>
> In attempt to eliminate the warning, I executed Visual Studio .NET
> 'Windows Components Update' from my copy of Visual Studio .NET
> Enterprise Architect Version 2002. The update program did .NET
> Framework update as expected. Then I attempted step 5 again but the
> same warning message appeared.
>
> I would like to know why the builder program still said .NET Framework
> was not installed ?

Raja

Please see my reply for your question posted in the MCAD forum !

"lonelyplanet" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm studying 70-310 exam using reference book MCAD/MCSD - XML Web
> Services and Server Components Development with Visual Basic .NET by Mc
> Graw Hill.
>
> In the book there was one exercise listed with steps to create windows
> service. I followed below steps to create an event logger service:
>
> 1. Create the windows service project.
> 2. Modify the default code to cater for event logger's logic.
> 3. Build the window service with build solution menu option.
> 4. Add Installer the project. Build the project again.
> 5. Add Setup and Deployment project, follow steps to set project output
> & custom actions settings. Build the deployment project.
> 6. Install the service by executing the .msi file created in 5.
>
> I found below warning message by step 5.
>
> ------ Rebuild All started: Project: ServiceOne, Configuration: Debug
> ..NET ------
>
> Preparing resources...
> Updating references...
> Performing main compilation...
> Building satellite assemblies...
>

> ------ Starting pre-build validation for project 'ServiceOneSetup'
> ------
> ------ Pre-build validation for project 'ServiceOneSetup' completed
> ------
> ------ Rebuild All started: Project: ServiceOneSetup, Configuration:
> Debug ------
>
> Building file 'D:\VB\ServiceOneSetup\Debug\ServiceOneSetup.msi'. ..
> WARNING: This setup does not contain the .NET Framework which must be
> installed on the target machine by running dotnetfx.exe before this
> setup will install. You can find dotnetfx.exe on the Visual Studio .NET
> 'Windows Components Update' media. Dotnetfx.exe can be redistributed
> with your setup.
> Packaging file 'InstMsiW.Exe'...
> Packaging file 'InstMsiA.Exe'...
> Packaging file 'Setup.Exe'...
> Packaging file 'ServiceOne.exe'...
>

> ---------------------- Done ----------------------
>
> Rebuild All: 2 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 skipped
>
> In attempt to eliminate the warning, I executed Visual Studio .NET
> 'Windows Components Update' from my copy of Visual Studio .NET
> Enterprise Architect Version 2002. The update program did .NET
> Framework update as expected. Then I attempted step 5 again but the
> same warning message appeared.
>
> I would like to know why the builder program still said .NET Framework
> was not installed ?

Simon Hart

Better yet, use InstallShield as it integrates into VS.NET and allows you to
build what ever version of the .NET Framework into your applications
seemlessly. However the cheaper alternative as mentioned is Microsofts
bootstrapper.

InstallShield for VS.NET has Device support also.

Regards
Simon.