Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCAD > MUST READ - TIPS & TRICKS for Windows C# exam (70-316)

MUST READ - TIPS & TRICKS for Windows C# exam (70-316)

Raja

I passed the Windows C# exam yesterday (May31st) with a score of 820. I have
a short list of my observations here

* 42 Questions in 150 minutes - You will NEVER EVER run out of time on this
exam

* Only 1 question was a "Select all Correct choices". All others EXPLICITLY
STATED "Select 2" or "Select 3" - If you were a little frustrated with
getting the "Select All" questions wrong in the practice tests, don't be !

* Very heavy on ADO.Net - Amit Kalani's book (http://tinyurl.com/64coq)
coverage of ADO.Net is NOT SUFFICIENT ! Read the classic David Sceppa's
ADO.Net tome (http://tinyurl.com/5fad9) or atleast do some sort of pre-prep
on ADO.Net !

* Fair coverage of all topics - DON'T SKIP reading chapters in Amit's book.
You do need to know atleast something about everything !

* If the question+answers span more than the screen real-estate and you
choose the correct answer without scrolling down, you get the annoying pop-up
window saying "You have not read the entire question blah blah blah ..." -
GRIN & BEAR !

* READ MSDN - This link is an excellent resource for doing that
(http://tinyurl.com/9s8nk)

I also used Jesse Liberty's "Programming C#" book (http://tinyurl.com/8cgvl)
as a starter to learn C#. Of course, you may not need this if you're already
an expert in C# !

Onto 70-320 .....

Proud of preparing & doing the exam the hard way WITHOUT any STUPID DUMPS,
Raja.

EggHead

I totally agree. It is an easy exam ( I think it is second to the old TCP/IP
exam from M$).
But, I would like to add some of my thoughts.
I have no "select all" in my test, but I have couple other kind of evil qs
("select 2" or "select 3" with each ans is completed solution.)
And, I have couple of related qs. By reading the qs of one, you can guess
the ans of the others q
ADO.net has the same no of qs as deployment in my test, and some of qs are
M$ VS.net related. So even you are already an expert in C# lang, you still
need to prepare for it.
No idea why, a couple of xml related qs and sql statement related qs are in
my test, may be they are belong to ADO.net section.
One last thing, my test does not have any new test format.
Egghead

"Raja" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I passed the Windows C# exam yesterday (May31st) with a score of 820. I
>have
> a short list of my observations here
>
> * 42 Questions in 150 minutes - You will NEVER EVER run out of time on
> this
> exam
>
> * Only 1 question was a "Select all Correct choices". All others
> EXPLICITLY
> STATED "Select 2" or "Select 3" - If you were a little frustrated with
> getting the "Select All" questions wrong in the practice tests, don't be !
>
> * Very heavy on ADO.Net - Amit Kalani's book (http://tinyurl.com/64coq)
> coverage of ADO.Net is NOT SUFFICIENT ! Read the classic David Sceppa's
> ADO.Net tome (http://tinyurl.com/5fad9) or atleast do some sort of
> pre-prep
> on ADO.Net !
>
> * Fair coverage of all topics - DON'T SKIP reading chapters in Amit's
> book.
> You do need to know atleast something about everything !
>
> * If the question+answers span more than the screen real-estate and you
> choose the correct answer without scrolling down, you get the annoying
> pop-up
> window saying "You have not read the entire question blah blah blah ..." -
> GRIN & BEAR !
>
> * READ MSDN - This link is an excellent resource for doing that
> (http://tinyurl.com/9s8nk)
>
> I also used Jesse Liberty's "Programming C#" book
> (http://tinyurl.com/8cgvl)
> as a starter to learn C#. Of course, you may not need this if you're
> already
> an expert in C# !
>
> Onto 70-320 .....
>
> Proud of preparing & doing the exam the hard way WITHOUT any STUPID DUMPS,
> Raja.

Raja

The reason XML related questions are included is because of the test
objective - "Access & Manipulate data from a data store - Data stores include
relational databases, XML documents and flat files" !

"EggHead" wrote:

> I totally agree. It is an easy exam ( I think it is second to the old TCP/IP
> exam from M$).
> But, I would like to add some of my thoughts.
> I have no "select all" in my test, but I have couple other kind of evil qs
> ("select 2" or "select 3" with each ans is completed solution.)
> And, I have couple of related qs. By reading the qs of one, you can guess
> the ans of the others q
> ADO.net has the same no of qs as deployment in my test, and some of qs are
> M$ VS.net related. So even you are already an expert in C# lang, you still
> need to prepare for it.
> No idea why, a couple of xml related qs and sql statement related qs are in
> my test, may be they are belong to ADO.net section.
> One last thing, my test does not have any new test format.
> Egghead
>
> "Raja" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I passed the Windows C# exam yesterday (May31st) with a score of 820. I
> >have
> > a short list of my observations here
> >
> > * 42 Questions in 150 minutes - You will NEVER EVER run out of time on
> > this
> > exam
> >
> > * Only 1 question was a "Select all Correct choices". All others
> > EXPLICITLY
> > STATED "Select 2" or "Select 3" - If you were a little frustrated with
> > getting the "Select All" questions wrong in the practice tests, don't be !
> >
> > * Very heavy on ADO.Net - Amit Kalani's book (http://tinyurl.com/64coq)
> > coverage of ADO.Net is NOT SUFFICIENT ! Read the classic David Sceppa's
> > ADO.Net tome (http://tinyurl.com/5fad9) or atleast do some sort of
> > pre-prep
> > on ADO.Net !
> >
> > * Fair coverage of all topics - DON'T SKIP reading chapters in Amit's
> > book.
> > You do need to know atleast something about everything !
> >
> > * If the question+answers span more than the screen real-estate and you
> > choose the correct answer without scrolling down, you get the annoying
> > pop-up
> > window saying "You have not read the entire question blah blah blah ..." -
> > GRIN & BEAR !
> >
> > * READ MSDN - This link is an excellent resource for doing that
> > (http://tinyurl.com/9s8nk)
> >
> > I also used Jesse Liberty's "Programming C#" book
> > (http://tinyurl.com/8cgvl)
> > as a starter to learn C#. Of course, you may not need this if you're
> > already
> > an expert in C# !
> >
> > Onto 70-320 .....
> >
> > Proud of preparing & doing the exam the hard way WITHOUT any STUPID DUMPS,
> > Raja.

Nancee

Hello Raja,

Congratulations! I took the Windows C# test on May 31st and failed the exam.
I will give my second shot for the test. There were lot more questions on
assembly, deployment, xml and security based.
Please let me know what books you have referred for your preparation. And
what practice tests have you chosen?

--
Nancee

"Raja" wrote:

> I passed the Windows C# exam yesterday (May31st) with a score of 820. I have
> a short list of my observations here
>
> * 42 Questions in 150 minutes - You will NEVER EVER run out of time on this
> exam
>
> * Only 1 question was a "Select all Correct choices". All others EXPLICITLY
> STATED "Select 2" or "Select 3" - If you were a little frustrated with
> getting the "Select All" questions wrong in the practice tests, don't be !
>
> * Very heavy on ADO.Net - Amit Kalani's book (http://tinyurl.com/64coq)
> coverage of ADO.Net is NOT SUFFICIENT ! Read the classic David Sceppa's
> ADO.Net tome (http://tinyurl.com/5fad9) or atleast do some sort of pre-prep
> on ADO.Net !
>
> * Fair coverage of all topics - DON'T SKIP reading chapters in Amit's book.
> You do need to know atleast something about everything !
>
> * If the question+answers span more than the screen real-estate and you
> choose the correct answer without scrolling down, you get the annoying pop-up
> window saying "You have not read the entire question blah blah blah ..." -
> GRIN & BEAR !
>
> * READ MSDN - This link is an excellent resource for doing that
> (http://tinyurl.com/9s8nk)
>
> I also used Jesse Liberty's "Programming C#" book (http://tinyurl.com/8cgvl)
> as a starter to learn C#. Of course, you may not need this if you're already
> an expert in C# !
>
> Onto 70-320 .....
>
> Proud of preparing & doing the exam the hard way WITHOUT any STUPID DUMPS,
> Raja.

Raja

Hi Nancee,

If you had completely gone through Amit's book (the big one, NOT the exam
cram -http://tinyurl.com/64coq), I would advise you to study (the topics you
mentioned) from MSDN. A great resource for doing that is CodeClinic's website
@ http://tinyurl.com/9s8nk. Also, if you feel you need to do more on ADO.net,
I would advise you to get David Sceppa's tome - http://tinyurl.com/5fad9.
This book can be used many more times after the exam also.

I used MeasureUp for the practice tests and scored above pass % in tests-2 &
3 that I took. My first choice for practice tests would be Transcender
because MeasureUp's desktop version does not have the facility to deliver
completely unique tests whereas Transcender offers 3 completely unique tests.
The exam @ the end of Amit's book was completely bookish and the one on the
book CD (PrepLogic) was real tough ! So, using MeasureUp or Transcender would
be a good way to judge exam readiness.

Best of Luck and Iam sure you will crack it this time !

"Nancee" wrote:

> Hello Raja,
>
> Congratulations! I took the Windows C# test on May 31st and failed the exam.
> I will give my second shot for the test. There were lot more questions on
> assembly, deployment, xml and security based.
> Please let me know what books you have referred for your preparation. And
> what practice tests have you chosen?
>
> --
> Nancee
>

> "Raja" wrote:
>
> > I passed the Windows C# exam yesterday (May31st) with a score of 820. I have
> > a short list of my observations here
> >
> > * 42 Questions in 150 minutes - You will NEVER EVER run out of time on this
> > exam
> >
> > * Only 1 question was a "Select all Correct choices". All others EXPLICITLY
> > STATED "Select 2" or "Select 3" - If you were a little frustrated with
> > getting the "Select All" questions wrong in the practice tests, don't be !
> >
> > * Very heavy on ADO.Net - Amit Kalani's book (http://tinyurl.com/64coq)
> > coverage of ADO.Net is NOT SUFFICIENT ! Read the classic David Sceppa's
> > ADO.Net tome (http://tinyurl.com/5fad9) or atleast do some sort of pre-prep
> > on ADO.Net !
> >
> > * Fair coverage of all topics - DON'T SKIP reading chapters in Amit's book.
> > You do need to know atleast something about everything !
> >
> > * If the question+answers span more than the screen real-estate and you
> > choose the correct answer without scrolling down, you get the annoying pop-up
> > window saying "You have not read the entire question blah blah blah ..." -
> > GRIN & BEAR !
> >
> > * READ MSDN - This link is an excellent resource for doing that
> > (http://tinyurl.com/9s8nk)
> >
> > I also used Jesse Liberty's "Programming C#" book (http://tinyurl.com/8cgvl)
> > as a starter to learn C#. Of course, you may not need this if you're already
> > an expert in C# !
> >
> > Onto 70-320 .....
> >
> > Proud of preparing & doing the exam the hard way WITHOUT any STUPID DUMPS,
> > Raja.

Simon Hart

Raja,

Congratulations on passing..

I too have the door step Amits book - v.good. Did you get many security
related q's as Nancee did?
I too find the PrepLogic alot more difficult than the MeasureUp test exams.
Which is more accurate of the true life exam, PrepLogic or MeasureUp or maybe
a mix between the two?

Regards
Simon Hart.