Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCAD > MCAD: Need your opinion

MCAD: Need your opinion

Brett Baisley

Hello,

My name is Brett and I am thinking about trying to obtain my MCAD
certification. I have a few questions that I just can't seem to answer from
the web site, so if you would be so kind to provide your insight, that will
be great!

Some Background First
I am a recent university graduate from a computer science degree program. I
have been coding personal projects for a while, and I have 4 years of formal
training from school (mostly Java and VB6). I have done some developing at
summer jobs that I had, I am currently working in the IT industry now.

1. Is MCAD for me? How much .NET programming experience should you have
before you try for an MCAD cert? I have a lot of Java experience and VB, but
my exposure to .NET has been pretty limited so far (just 1 year at
university)

2. I would like to go with the C# stream (opposed to VB) as that is my
weaker language and I really want to strengthen my skills in it. It seems
that a lot more jobs around here are asking for C# experience, so I think
that it will be a good idea to learn and get certified. Would you agree, or
would it be too hard to achieve with my limited C# exposure?

3. All of the books I've seen so far are all titles like "MCAD study guide
for C#.NET and Visual Studio.NET". I can get C#.NET 2003 pretty cheap
through the employee plan at work, unfortunately, they don't offer VS.NET as
part of this plan. Is having C# enough, or is VS.NET required as part of the
MCAD exams?

4. Can you please recommend some good study books worth purchasing? I read
some reviews online, and it seems that some books are much better then
others.

Thanks for all your help!
Brett