Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCAD > MCAD Worth It?

MCAD Worth It?

Mike

Hello everyone,

I've been studying programming for about four years. A
little of this, a lot of that. I love it! I really enjoy
DirectX. However, I realized that if I want to make a
career change I would need credentials. So I decided to
get MCAD certified. I chose C# since it's alot like C++.
Used Kalani along with Microsoft Press, and passed each
exam on first try. Anyway my point of this all is, The
first job I sent my resume for listed Visual Studio, C#,
and ADO.NET as the primary skills required, two days
later they changed the add to say "Minimum Associates
Degree". It kind of burst my bubble. They would rather
have a two year degree over certification from Microsoft?

Was it worth my time?
Any Feelings on this?

Joseph MCAD

April 13, 2005

I think it is! I don't see how you can make yourself stand out without
certification, even if you have lots of experience! Good job and keep going!

Joseph MCAD

news:0f3901c5408b$35f297d0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've been studying programming for about four years. A
> little of this, a lot of that. I love it! I really enjoy
> DirectX. However, I realized that if I want to make a
> career change I would need credentials. So I decided to
> get MCAD certified. I chose C# since it's alot like C++.
> Used Kalani along with Microsoft Press, and passed each
> exam on first try. Anyway my point of this all is, The
> first job I sent my resume for listed Visual Studio, C#,
> and ADO.NET as the primary skills required, two days
> later they changed the add to say "Minimum Associates
> Degree". It kind of burst my bubble. They would rather
> have a two year degree over certification from Microsoft?
>
> Was it worth my time?
> Any Feelings on this?

kpg

> Hello everyone,
>
> I've been studying programming for about four years. A
> little of this, a lot of that. I love it! I really enjoy
> DirectX. However, I realized that if I want to make a
> career change I would need credentials. So I decided to
> get MCAD certified. I chose C# since it's alot like C++.
> Used Kalani along with Microsoft Press, and passed each
> exam on first try. Anyway my point of this all is, The
> first job I sent my resume for listed Visual Studio, C#,
> and ADO.NET as the primary skills required, two days
> later they changed the add to say "Minimum Associates
> Degree". It kind of burst my bubble. They would rather
> have a two year degree over certification from Microsoft?

Yes and No. Certification if all well and good - it shows
familiarity with the product. But a degree shows a much
broader range skills, reading, writing, team work,
persistence. I have hired many programmers and I prefer
degreed candidates, even if they have no familiarity with
the language or tools we use, because I know I can teach
them and that they can be productive employees.

You made the effort to get your MCAD, well if the
employers want an Associates degree - go get that
too. None of these accomplishments are a waste of
time, but any one by themselves may not be sufficient
in today's market.

kpg

prash

hi ,
even i had a similar experience. i recently cleared my
mcp exam(315). but when i told my senior abt it , he said
there is nt much value in certification nowadays and
anybody can pass thru dumps.
dont know if there is any meaning to study hard and
clear those 3 papers.

message
>news:0f3901c5408b$35f297d0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I've been studying programming for about four years. A
>> little of this, a lot of that. I love it! I really enjoy
>> DirectX. However, I realized that if I want to make a
>> career change I would need credentials. So I decided to
>> get MCAD certified. I chose C# since it's alot like C++.
>> Used Kalani along with Microsoft Press, and passed each
>> exam on first try. Anyway my point of this all is, The
>> first job I sent my resume for listed Visual Studio, C#,
>> and ADO.NET as the primary skills required, two days
>> later they changed the add to say "Minimum Associates
>> Degree". It kind of burst my bubble. They would rather
>> have a two year degree over certification from

Microsoft?

>> Was it worth my time?
>> Any Feelings on this?
>>

>.

EggHead

M$ cert or Tech cert in general is an add-on component, similar to the c1
component or DevExpress component. They are good stuff, but You need to have
VS.net

VS.net = your degree / exp in the field

So go to get your VS.net

Egghead